Wondering about my limitations of my new little jetter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wondering about my limitations of my new little jetter

After reading almost every post on jetters here, i bought my first little jetter.
    13HP Honda direct drive, Cat 4000psi 4gpm externally unloaded to ground, 100 ft 3/16" DIA jetter hose, Hose reel and frame, ball valve kit (not foot pedal),brass coupler,one rotating nozzle and laser nozzle #50, hose reel and mount kit for 50 foot jumper hose on gas engine cart.

Based on budget and the amount of drain cleaning work i do, i finally ordered it yesterday.

I want to use this on mostly 2 and 3 inch greasy lines but would love to see it work on some 4 inch cast which comes off our grease traps. I wonder if this set up will be any good in 4 inch lines or even roots in 4 inch lines. Realistically from all i read here, i feel i might be dreaming about doing the 4 inch lines.

The rep said he used to do all that i mentioned above with the exact set up above but i trust the techs here way more. Its really hard to build your own jetter here in BC as everyone seems to buy a General or Ridgid. Athough i m out 2500.00 for this, i thinking it was a wise purchase to see what jetting is like? I wonder if someone has used my set up but with the right nozzle i can order and ship over the border and make it into a super machine to do some 4 inch.

I hope everyone is doing well. Keep up the good work fellow techs. Make lots and retire early!!

Re: Wondering about my limitations of my new little jetter

Congrats on getting a jetter. It's dirty work, but somebodys got to do it and it might as well be us.

I doubt you'll get a full 4 gpm at 4000 psi with 13 hp. But it will be based on rpm and nozzle size.

Ben/ gear junky uses even a smaller spec machine with great results. But you need to get a root ranger for your 4" root jobs. It will do 3" as long as there are no 90s.

Nozzle selection and hose selection is the difference between good results or a long day.

Smaller lines clean easier as you have more direct impact and less area. At 4 gpm, I suggest a 3 or 4 rear nozzle . Try avoiding a front jet as it will slow down you advance and total pull. Also more of a rearward jets compared to steeper side jets will also get you further down the line.

Of course unless you have a camera to see your results, you're guessingas to the real results. But taking your time and knowing the problem areas will make it easier to do a good job. Also color code you hoses to give you an idea of the distance to compare to your camera.
    I use colored electrical tape. Red 10', white 20, blue 30, yellow 40 and green 50'.then repeat. Alsomput some colored tape aprox 2' from the leading end to warn you of a potential pull out. Especially with a ball valve. Youll be better off and safer with a spray gun than a ball valve for safety. Of course a foot valve will be the best as it frees up both hands.

Keep reading and practice on your own place or for friends to learn with. Once you become more familiar, you kick yourself for not getting into jetting earlier.

After 20 years of jetting, im finally pretty confident it's the best drain cleaner out there. Nothing cleans or cuts roots as good as a proper jetting.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Why is it unloaded to the ground.....you can recycle it back to the pump. I'd recommend a 1/4 x 150 hose and a 3/16 x 50 hose. A 3/16x100 hose will be alot off pressure drop at the nozzle.
      Last edited by gear junkie; 09-15-2013, 02:40 AM.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks so much for your valuable advise. I just cant believe i took this long to buy this little unit even after contemplating the idea for over a year. I think what really discouraged me was the investment and that i read all your posts and others that starting at least 5-6 gallons is the way to go which lead me to look at the 24 hp pressure washer carts. Wow, just the pressure washer went up to 4300.00 without any jetting equipment at all. But i read about all the equipment you own and realized that even at 6 gpm is tiny potatoes compared with your artillery. I made a promise to myself that when i can break even on my little unit i bought say by double, i going to invest into the next level up but am sure will be asking questions again.
        Color coding is such an excellent idea. I m going to do that right away as i dont own a camera yet athough i ve been contemplating that for 3 years now. I m going to investigate into getting a couple of nozzles to play with in particular the all rear nozzle and root ranger which you recommended. I m actually picking up the unit this wednesday and see exactly the specs of the 2 nozzles he is giving me. Thanks again Rick!

Comment

Thanks Ben. The shop said that he is going to plug the inlet and unload to the ground to keep it running cooler during my momentary stand by time. Unloaders are foreign to me still but do you think that is going to hurt the pump by letting the supplier modify that way now that i think about it? I was trusting his advise but can still have them un modify it as i m picking it up this Wednesday and it includes 1 hr shop training at that time. Rick mentioned that you have mastered the use of this weapon size i bought. I m going to order a 1/4 x 150 and nozzles from a site in us and ship to canada. It seems that there are no sites here that offer selection and 3/16 is all i can find in the city. I was wondering if there are questions i can bring to ask during the 1 hr training about this assembled unit from them. I a littlle worried about this mod they made on the external unloader.
          Say Ben, do you use a foot valve on yours? I ll have to order from USA. Should i play around with the ball valve for little while before upgrading? During the purchase i even requested 1/4 x 100 but they claimed i wouldn't notice a difference. I wonder if its because that's all they carry?

http://canada.pressurewashersonline....-P2197448.aspx

This is the place i went to.

Do you have a great success story with this weapon size where it outperformed in a pipe more than you expected but i know its coupled with your investment in skill, experience and that this just a machine that needs to be told what to do. Do you have favorite nozzles for this size?

Thanks again in advance.

Comment

Thanks Ben. The shop said that he is going to plug the inlet and unload to the ground to keep it running cooler during my momentary stand by time. Unloaders are foreign to me still but do you think that is going to hurt the pump by letting the supplier modify that way now that i think about it? I was trusting his advise but can still have them un modify it as i m picking it up this Wednesday and it includes 1 hr shop training at that time. Rick mentioned that you have mastered the use of this weapon size i bought. I m going to order a 1/4 x 150 and nozzles from a site in us and ship to canada. It seems that there are no sites here that offer selection and 3/16 is all i can find in the city. I was wondering if there are questions i can bring to ask during the 1 hr training about this assembled unit from them. I a littlle worried about this mod they made on the external unloader.
            Say Ben, do you use a foot valve on yours? I ll have to order from USA. Should i play around with the ball valve for little while before upgrading? During the purchase i even requested 1/4 x 100 but they claimed i wouldn't notice a difference. I wonder if its because that's all they carry?

http://canada.pressurewashersonline....-P2197448.aspx

This is the place i went to.

Do you have a great success story with this weapon size where it outperformed in a pipe more than you expected but i know its coupled with your investment in skill, experience and that this just a machine that needs to be told what to do. Do you have favorite nozzles for this size?

Thanks again in advance.

Comment

Unloading it to the ground is perfectly fine. With my trailer jetter it unloads back into the water tank.

Your unit will run cooler during the periods of uploading, when the machine is running and the jetter valve is closed. Typically the longest you want to run unloaded with a return to inlet is not more than a couple minutes as the return water will overheat the pump packings. But when you dump it or return to tank, its pretty much unlimited.

Your only drawback dumping it, is the waste of minimal water, but more the potential location where you can run your machine now. You cant run it indoors with it dumping onto the ground. Outdoors is fine and if you're good with that great.

My cart jetter returns to the inlet and im limited to a couple minutes unloaded. But maybe ill install a 3 way return valve to allow me to dump the water and keep the engine running while I move locations with the hoses. Not a bad idea.

Color coding the hoses is great, but the best advantage is using a camera to assist with finding the bad spots and using the footage counter to jet with. Without a camera, you're truly guessing the condition before and after. Yes, you can jet blind, but you'll never know if you've done a good job or wasted their money.

Most of my jetting jobs are either camered or I have past camera notes I go by. Of course with a large jetter, its hard to miss the bad stuff. With a little jetter, you need some visual help.

Get your feet wet with your jetter and before you know it you'll be wanting more.

Robert, plungerman purchased a decent size jetter about a year ago and is already expecting the arrival of his new trailer jetter. Not bad for a year of jetting going from a cart to a 50k. Investment.

Keep asking questions and learning as much as you can. The trailer is only so many jobs away.

Rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I bought my jetter hose through JGB Enterprises, Inc. 315-451-2770. It took about a week for the hose to get to cali....not sure about canada. rick is right about the unloader....it'll run cooler....just make a mess when you let off the foot pedal. Speaking of which....I consider a foot pedal to be essential. From my jetter, I have a 50' 3/8 hose connected to the inlet of the foot pedal.....I have a giant hose reel(bought from northern tool) that is connected to the outlet by a 2' hose. When I get to a job, I pull off the amount I need and loop the hose in big loops on the ground instead of working off the hose reel. My color coding is in 5' intervals with white and red being my 2 colors.....I also use a sharpie to write the footage on the hose and it holds up decently well. My favorite nozzle is the root ranger with a 4.5 turbo nozzle....you'll need to change the turbo nozzle on the ranger as it's jetted for bigger jetter. For 3/16 hose...I use a corner nozzle quite a bit. Here's a pic of my jetter(4gpm 3500 psi) that I built myself along with a few roots that the ranger went through. Just remember that for roots you need pressure(which you have)....but for grease....you want flow(gpm).
                Attached Files
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                X