X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snake cutter snagging on sewer pipe offset

I have a sewer line that the snake is snagging on a pipe offset of about 1". How do you get the cutter to go up and over a offset or hole in the bottom of the pipe and not get snagged? Is there a certain technique or flexible tip that should be used? I tried a spade, 2" and 3" root cutters. The instantly get jammed and the whole cable wraps up. I replaced a sewer line last summer and I have a feeling that it could of been avoided by using a different cutter or technique. After reading Rick's successful posts I am realizing that there must be a way to snake this. I only have to make one good pass thru the pipe to apply the root killing pesticides..

Re: Snake cutter snagging on sewer pipe offset

I'll assume you're snaking a 4" line. Have you camered the pipe to really know the problem going on inside?

A 1" offset in a 4" pipe is 25% which is pretty severe. Especially if the offset is offset up and not offset down. Also a hole in the bottom of the pipe can swallow a cable, cutter or a camera head or jetter.

Truthfully a camera inspection and location is wise at this point. Last thing you want is a stuck cable in a plugged up line.

Small offsets are common and easily navigated. A pear cutter will typically squeeze together and flex down to pass, while a spiral saw will not easily flex. Sometimes running in reverse will help make the cable more springy and the cutter not bite.

But my suggestion is a good camera inspection and location of the line.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I did run a camera and it is a 4" pipe with a 1" offset up. I never thought of running the snake in reverse. The pear cutter idea is also another good idea. The offset is actually at the sewer mainline tap so that I dont need to snake any further. However its good to know how to handle this is the future.

Comment

not uncommon to have an offset at the city saddle.

out here its a 6'' lateral to a 8'' or larger city connection. with a perpendicular connection and years of settlement and quakes its very common.

if a repair is done now in the street, the trench has to be backfilled with slurry. that should prevent any settlement.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
        X