X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sewer Ghosts............ ???

Had a call today at a loan max store for a toilet that was making a gurgling noise and splashing water on the seat & floor when nobody was in the restroom.

This had supposedly happened 3 times within 2 hours.

Smaller single story building on a slab with no other plumbing except a washtub in the utility room.

I ran mucho water & checked the sewer through a floor cleanout at the front of the building which was fine.

Ghosts......... ???

Re: Sewer Ghosts............ ???

Possible City Main clogged ?

Comment

Was the city main being flushed?
      Roots beware of the C snake with shark teeth.

Comment

this would happen if the city main was plugged, there was no or insufficient building trap, and the building venting was plugged
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
          Had a call today at a loan max store for a toilet that was making a gurgling noise and splashing water on the seat & floor when nobody was in the restroom.

This had supposedly happened 3 times within 2 hours.

Smaller single story building on a slab with no other plumbing except a washtub in the utility room.

I ran mucho water & checked the sewer through a floor cleanout at the front of the building which was fine.

Ghosts......... ???
          Did you witness the problem or did they tell you this happened?

What kind of toilet? Pressure vessel?

Comment

I did not witness any of this.

I had asked if they had seen any city trucks in the street, they said no. I believe it was a standard Mansfield toilet.

They also said that after these episodes happened that the water level in the toilet was well below normal.

Comment

Most likely flushing of the city mains but it could be....

Rat stuck in the toilet

Heard about this phenom before but didn't believe it until it I saw it happen.

Comment

I had an interesting one the other day. Toilet flooded out an office during a heavy rain. Attempted to camera but could not make the turn into the main due to lack of a santee (clue). Knowing it was tied directly to the rain event I checked the catch basin out front. saw the buildings underdrain tied into it and noticed a white sort of film, then i noticed the tampoon hanging on the outlet . trace dye confirmed this is the only WC tied into the underdrain. This building is 40+ yrs old and this wc is original.

The storm system should daylight into a ditch but with time the pipe is now covered with over growth. Not that it's ok this toilet ties into it, but it explains why after all these years it's just starting to display a problem.

I tried to explain this to the person in charge but she just did not get it. I tried to get her to come down so I could show her exactly and maybe she would have a better understanding, but she "didn't have time". I think see thought I was lieing to her.

This also happened once a year ago and the fix then was to add catch basins and construction to divert water away.

So they fix the flooded office and everything was fine until the next big rain...then my phone is ringing off the hook. now all of a sudden people want to listen and follow advice, funny how that works.
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Sorry I forgot to mention that there was also a floor drain next to the toilet and apparently nothing come up from it.

Comment

First thing comes to mind was sewer main was being jetted downstream.

Another possibility is there was a lot of trapped air in the water main. That would cause a ballcock to spit pretty good, but not explain a wet seat.

Time for a go pro camera to capture the moment if it continues.

Rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      First thing comes to mind was sewer main was being jetted downstream.

Another possibility is there was a lot of trapped air in the water main. That would cause a ballcock to spit pretty good, but not explain a wet seat.

Time for a go pro camera to capture the moment if it continues.

Rick.

Yes I just wanted to be armed with some possible solutions if I get called back. Bathroom is around 100' from city main.

ThanX all

Comment

Working...
                      X