Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Caught a big one with the Spartan 300

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    Nothing wrong with a installing a cleanout, especially in that case with a massive set of roots at 100' away. I would have recommended that myself too.

But a .55" cable would not be my choice. I would either use my 1.25" cable or if I had time to sch. My jetter.

Drain cleaning is like fishing. When you know you're fishing for sharks, you don't use a trout pole. Based on the photo, the roots look to be attached at 1 or 2 spots to the joints. So although its a monster root mass, its only anchored at the joints. So cutting the anchor root will usually free up the mass.

Too many people get stuck or fail when fishing for sharks. "We need a bigger boat"

Rick.
    I've since went online and looked at the Eel model C. It is impressive. Never even seen it before. Similar to the General model 88, also impressive. I said I'd never need it but after seeing it in action I may be open to it.

Comment

I would buy the 1.25" cable a d cutters first along with a good drill. I prefer the timberwolf. Even though I have 2 general 82/88 and 3 ridgid 1500's, I rarely use anything but the drill with my 1.25" sections.

A 300 with .55" cable is asking for getting stuck or broken in the line. I've removed plenty of them from customers lines.

There is not a sewer around that is perfect or root free. But keeping track of the problems is how I make my decisions my computer has invoices back to 1991 that I can easily access from the field. Older requires pulling the files. Once I have a video, I have all the info at my hands to be able to easily maintain the line. I know what and where the problems are. At that point its a simple repeat.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Sierra2000 View Post
        I'd like to drop it Asstyme. Cool?
        Don't ask, take him on and take him down. Be a man. Lol, Nothing wrong with a good fight here and there.

Comment

I would buy the 1.25" cable a d cutters first along with a good drill. I prefer the timberwolf. Even though I have 2 general 82/88 and 3 ridgid 1500's, I rarely use anything but the drill with my 1.25" sections.

A 300 with .55" cable is asking for getting stuck or broken in the line. I've removed plenty of them from customers lines.

There is not a sewer around that is perfect or root free. But keeping track of the problems is how I make my decisions my computer has invoices back to 1991 that I can easily access from the field. Older requires pulling the files. Once I have a video, I have all the info at my hands to be able to easily maintain the line. I know what and where the problems are. At that point its a simple repeat.

Rick.
          What filing system do you have for your video files. With my new monitor having a thumb drive I'm going to start this for some select jobs.
          As for the drill and cable, no way Jose,,, (what's wrong with your shoulder grand pa) from now on it's 11/16 gorlitz or 18gpm 4k psi boo ya.

Comment

Rick.

Watch it Rick, those are fightin' words. Mr. Sierra seems to not be interested in helpful advise and has a short fuse.

I absolutely love my 300 just not on anything larger than 4" lines, over 100' (except maintenance runs) or nasty blockages.

Comment

I'm always open to advise when it's presented in a constructive way. Rick has alot of knowledge and to me is the authority on drain cleaning on here. I love my 300 also, its never let me down. I can also keep an open mind to something that may benefit me.

Comment

I'm always open to advise when it's presented in a constructive way. Rick has alot of knowledge and to me is the authority on drain cleaning on here. I love my 300 also, its never let me down. I can also keep an open mind to something that may benefit me.

Really, you must not use it very much ? The cable looks to be near if not brand new it still has the Sparshine coating on it.

Did you try to open this line with your 300 before installing the cleanout ?

Comment

In Los Angeles the drum machine is the majority and from the contractors I've talked to and seen, Spartan and Gorlitz are at the top. I realize there's the 1065 but I honestly haven't had the need for anything bigger. Had a Ridgid K-750 before and had nothing but broken cables and drains i couldn't open. I was calling my plumber friend at least once a week to come by with his Gorlitz and bail me out until I got my first Spartan. Besides Rick I can't name another plumber out here who uses a sectional. I may very well be the second if I jump on that band wagon. No, I don't use it every day as I do lots of plumbing and lately alot of sewer work and I have a jetter. I do like buying tools and do like what I saw so I might get it just to have it in my arsenal.

Comment

In Los Angeles the drum machine is the majority and from the contractors I've talked to and seen, Spartan and Gorlitz are at the top. I realize there's the 1065 but I honestly haven't had the need for anything bigger. Had a Ridgid K-750 before and had nothing but broken cables and drains i couldn't open. I was calling my plumber friend at least once a week to come by with his Gorlitz and bail me out until I got my first Spartan. Besides Rick I can't name another plumber out here who uses a sectional. I may very well be the second if I jump on that band wagon. No, I don't use it every day as I do lots of plumbing and lately alot of sewer work and I have a jetter. I do like buying tools and do like what I saw so I might get it just to have it in my arsenal.
                    That's to bad your jetter wouldn't do it at 100ft. I did one last week on my jnw 6gpm 4k that wouldn't work until I taped a fiberglass push rod to it and used a turbo nozzle. It was 85 feet and an easy push. And I've had to resort to this a few times. And it only would work until w/ the rod, , ,, , like a forward facing root ranger.
                    Hey Rick. What would be your MO on nozzle choice for this root infiltration with your trailer jetter.

Comment

I did pump out 40 gallons of water. Is there a jetter or nozzle that would have cleared it with that much water?

Comment

Great Job. Like your set up.
                        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                        Ron's Facebook
                        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

A forward facing root ranger nozzle will blast anyting open including concrete like I did last month. . Used it yesterday on a real nasty 81' run that was 100% plugged and I had 6 locatios to blast through roots. They already had a $30,000 bid for a new sewer that was 14' deep in the street.
                          Made a before and after video of the line and its spotless. It does need a repair at the cast to clay connection as it's a good 33% offset and was the main cause of the stoppage. that should allow for easy maintenance and no need to tear up the street.

The prior co. Claimed they couldn't get their jetter past the driveway. Their video was bad and based on their findings I suggested that I would jet and camera not to exceede 2 hours. After yesterday, they were thrilled to have found me from the neighbor across the street.

There are very few jobs I walk away from not feeling I did an excellant job. The proof is in the video.

I also am 1 of the very first person doing pipe bursting in calif. Started that in feb 2002. But I don't do much as most of the time it just needs a good cleaning.

Rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Is the 1/2 hose ridgid enough to keep it from blowing back. How many gpm nozzle size do u use. Thanks for your time.

Comment

I did pump out 40 gallons of water. Is there a jetter or nozzle that would have cleared it with that much water?
                              Yep the forward turbo on a duct rodder would've done it....even underwater. That and the root ranger are the reason why I've never needed to upsize to a bigger jetter yet. 4gpm, 3500 psi.

I'm also a sectional guy and have done alright with it.
                              Attached Files
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Sierra, https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t42350-15/ post 150, a rotor nozzle taped together w/ 3/8 hose and 1/4 push rod, this when the norm won't work.

Comment

Working...
                                X