X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sierra2000
    started a topic Caught a big one with the Spartan 300

Caught a big one with the Spartan 300

Don't doubt the Spartan 300 with the .55 cable. Almost 7.5 feet long. Was chocking the whole 4" pipe. Pulled it back on the second attempt, 5 minutes. Went behind with the jetter to clean it up. This was at the city saddle. Looks like its been growing for years.
    Attached Files

• theplungerman
    replied
    Re: Caught a big one with the Spartan 300

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    Yes and no. The front rotor is for penetration on the stoppage. It's great to blast through root infested lines. But it is not a pipe cleaner. The rear propulsion helps to wash the pipe, but its still needs to be cleaned with a wall washing nozzle. Its also a great pusher nozzle for blasting debris downstream out to the main.

Once you get the line flowing, then you can safely jet without major fear of backing up.

When you get your mongoose, ill let you demo my self propelled forward rotor.

Rick.
    You know I wasn't clear. My goal was to determine the best way to get flow, to get thru,,,,,. Then yeah a root ranger etc to finish off.
    Oct 13 is the date scheduled for it to roll off the assembly line. Thanks Rick.

Leave a comment:

• PLUMBER RICK
    replied

Yes and no. The front rotor is for penetration on the stoppage. It's great to blast through root infested lines. But it is not a pipe cleaner. The rear propulsion helps to wash the pipe, but its still needs to be cleaned with a wall washing nozzle. Its also a great pusher nozzle for blasting debris downstream out to the main.

Once you get the line flowing, then you can safely jet without major fear of backing up.

When you get your mongoose, ill let you demo my self propelled forward rotor.

Rick.

Leave a comment:

• theplungerman
    replied

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    A 4.5 at 4000# is 4.5gpm. I use 1/4" with a forward ranger as I need to push it in with a cable. My large self propelled rotors are either 3/8" @ 12 gpm or 1/2" @ 18gpm. My favorite is the 3/8" as it pulls through fittings much easier. 1/2" is a stiff hose in 4" fittings.

Rick.
    Thanks for that,.
    But if you knew you were up against a major root intrusion and you wanted to give it the ol heave hoe, would the self propelled 3/8 and or
    1/2 have more clearing power than the 4.5.

Leave a comment:

• PLUMBER RICK
    replied

A 4.5 at 4000# is 4.5gpm. I use 1/4" with a forward ranger as I need to push it in with a cable. My large self propelled rotors are either 3/8" @ 12 gpm or 1/2" @ 18gpm. My favorite is the 3/8" as it pulls through fittings much easier. 1/2" is a stiff hose in 4" fittings.

Rick.

Leave a comment:

• theplungerman
    replied

Does the 4.5 stand for gallons, you use 1/2 inch with a 4.5? Sorry I'm ignorant. Can u please enlighten me.

Leave a comment:

• PLUMBER RICK
    replied

A 4.5 nozzle is about as big as you want when going forward.too big and you'll never hold it in place. Its a hole opener and a blower, not a great full bore cleaner in the front. You'll still have to follow up and clean the line with a rear nozzle or root ranger.

Rick.

Leave a comment:

• Sierra2000
    replied

Gear, Plungerman, Rick thanks for the tips with the front root ranger.

Leave a comment:

• theplungerman
    replied

Sierra, https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t42350-15/ post 150, a rotor nozzle taped together w/ 3/8 hose and 1/4 push rod, this when the norm won't work.

Leave a comment:

• gear junkie
    replied
    Last edited by gear junkie; 06-02-2018, 01:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• theplungerman
    replied

Is the 1/2 hose ridgid enough to keep it from blowing back. How many gpm nozzle size do u use. Thanks for your time.

Leave a comment:

• PLUMBER RICK
    replied

A forward facing root ranger nozzle will blast anyting open including concrete like I did last month. . Used it yesterday on a real nasty 81' run that was 100% plugged and I had 6 locatios to blast through roots. They already had a $30,000 bid for a new sewer that was 14' deep in the street.
    Made a before and after video of the line and its spotless. It does need a repair at the cast to clay connection as it's a good 33% offset and was the main cause of the stoppage. that should allow for easy maintenance and no need to tear up the street.

The prior co. Claimed they couldn't get their jetter past the driveway. Their video was bad and based on their findings I suggested that I would jet and camera not to exceede 2 hours. After yesterday, they were thrilled to have found me from the neighbor across the street.

There are very few jobs I walk away from not feeling I did an excellant job. The proof is in the video.

I also am 1 of the very first person doing pipe bursting in calif. Started that in feb 2002. But I don't do much as most of the time it just needs a good cleaning.

Rick.

Leave a comment:

• SewerRatz
    replied

Great Job. Like your set up.

Leave a comment:

• Sierra2000
    replied

I did pump out 40 gallons of water. Is there a jetter or nozzle that would have cleared it with that much water?

Leave a comment:

• theplungerman
    replied

Originally posted by Sierra2000 View Post
    In Los Angeles the drum machine is the majority and from the contractors I've talked to and seen, Spartan and Gorlitz are at the top. I realize there's the 1065 but I honestly haven't had the need for anything bigger. Had a Ridgid K-750 before and had nothing but broken cables and drains i couldn't open. I was calling my plumber friend at least once a week to come by with his Gorlitz and bail me out until I got my first Spartan. Besides Rick I can't name another plumber out here who uses a sectional. I may very well be the second if I jump on that band wagon. No, I don't use it every day as I do lots of plumbing and lately alot of sewer work and I have a jetter. I do like buying tools and do like what I saw so I might get it just to have it in my arsenal.
    That's to bad your jetter wouldn't do it at 100ft. I did one last week on my jnw 6gpm 4k that wouldn't work until I taped a fiberglass push rod to it and used a turbo nozzle. It was 85 feet and an easy push. And I've had to resort to this a few times. And it only would work until w/ the rod, , ,, , like a forward facing root ranger.
    Hey Rick. What would be your MO on nozzle choice for this root infiltration with your trailer jetter.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X