X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rootranger/roof vents

Does anyone use their rootranger through roof vents ,or know anyone that does?

Re: rootranger/roof vents

I wouldn't do this for fear of blowing out a toilet.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

it can be done, but as ben says, you could get some serious blowback out of the fixtures. if you run it quickly past the tee and downstream, you're good.

today I did 3 major jetting jobs. 2 of them were outside cleanouts and had great success. the 3rd one involved a 4'' and a 3'' wall cleanout ground floor. was running my 3/8'' warthog at 4000# 12gpm. I was worried about blowback on the 2 toilets 1st. floor. they burped, but I never expected the 2 on the second floor to also burp. seems like the venting is possibly block as no water ever came out of the 2 ground floor cleanouts.

so yes it can be done, with care and caution. also cycle the rr to prevent it from trapping too much water behind it. let it breath every 15 seconds to prevent build up and blow back.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Always remember to jet straight to the problem area and only twist the hose on the way back to avoid turning up branch lines.
        Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Bill, wouldn't that apply if jetting upstream only?

Never had an issue jetting downstream as our fittings are directional.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            Bill, wouldn't that apply if jetting upstream only?

Never had an issue jetting downstream as our fittings are directional.

Rick.
            At the Waste Hauler show back in the day, Viking Jetters had a display booth with a 2" pvc set up to demo their jetters. The pipe had multiple access points to show how well the jetter makes multiple turns. One of the demo turns was using their cornering nozzle to either make a right or left turn in a tee. Also they had a wye below another access point to show how easily the jetter pulls through the line.

What I did was enter from the tee access point which gets you on the run with the wye, I was able to make the jetter make the turn up the wye coming from the backside so nearly a 180 degree turn. When the group of people standing by saw this they all placed an order right there on the spot and I won 50 bucks on a bet. Viking was so grateful they gave me a jetter at half price.

I wish Viking stayed in the sewer jetter business, they made the best jetter out there, and till this day no one has come close.
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Of course that was a demo stand with probably clear pvc pipe. A small ball nozzle made to hug the wall of a pipe.

But a root ranger is a large heavy mass of a nozzle and its the strongest puller out there. Going down stream is not going to turn up a tee or wye.

Yes, I can make It turn up a comby on a clean out, but I have to insert it with the hose folded and hand feed it to the base of the comby. Once in the base I let it unfold pointing it upstream before I turn on the water.

2 months ago I had a 150' plus run that I needed to jet up stream. I had camered the line to mark the 2 wyes I needed to steer my nozzle into. This allowd me to get upstream and not flood out the lower level maids bathroom by going downstream.

By knowing my distance of the wyes and marking my hoses, it was pretty simple to steer it upstream.

Getting a root ranger to turn around in a 3 or 4" line is probably impossible. 6" can under the right conditions. 8" you better have an extension on the end.

Rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

The pipe was clear, the fittings were not. I have had rods, and my 3000PSI 4 GPM root ranger come up a wye in 4" and 6" sewers when it should of just passed it. I know in all practical terms they should of never made them turns.

I recall being on a job with my father at a medical building. He told me to watch at this open and flowing clean out which was a 4" wye combo, and let him know when I hear the rod or see it go by in the clean out. He warned me not to put my face near it and stand back, that there is always a chance the rod can come up the clean out, but in reality it should not since it is going by with the direction of flow. As I stood there I heard it coming but it was muffled as if it was pushing something. So I told my father what I heard, he said ok go back and let him know when the rod passes the clean out. As the noise got a little louder, I looked down the clean out and in an instant I was surprised to the cutter pop up at me. I ran and told my father, and he was amazed at what had happened. He just figured it had to do with what ever the rod was pushing and the cable rather turn around and come up the clean out.

So to assume it can never happen is a false sense of security. Yes it is very unlikely to happen.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I have it happen in area drains that are non directional fittings. Had 1 earlier this month in a 4" area drain that popped up in the drain and blew the 4" grid so far away, I never found it. Not sure if it ended up in a tree or across the fence to the neighbor. Wasn't in the pool or on the roof. But those are non directional and I was going upstream anyways.

had a different area drain a couple years back when phoebe was about a year old. Joey and phoebe came out to visit. Sitting on the porch my nozzle popped up in a yard drain and splashed mud on them about 10'away. She was not very happy.

Area drains are always a hit or miss with direction. But sewers are pretty straight forward.

I did have my 7/8" cable double back once in a comby but that was the cable and not the cutter that was 40' down stream. Wrote about it with several years back, and I did figure out how it happened. It has never happend again. So yes its a rarity but anythings possible.

Rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Rick

We must have slightly larger pipe junctions. If you are going upstream it will take a branch if you twist going upstream. Sometimes this is helpful. Running downstream you also need to keep it straight or you may go backwards up a junction. Now that's a rear bummer!

Most Aussie plumbers carry 2 Root Rangers, one in the standard short version and one with the WGS 1" extension. (WGS = won't get stuck!) For larger drains we snap on an extension. Oh, that's right, you guys are still screw on. Oh well, you will have to down tools, find a couple of shifters and screw on an extension :-)
                    Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
                    Albert Einstein

Comment

Upstream is aways a concern as a snake or jetter can enter a wye branch pretty easily and come up the wrong branch.

But downstream, the only fitting I can picture are non directional tees used on cheap outside area drains and possibly sanitary tees used illegally instead of a comby wye and 45.

Bill, with your quick connects, can they unsnap if you shut the water and get hung up in a fitting. Had this happen with 1 of mine when I tried it. Had to go in and snag the hose with my cable to pull it back out.

Taking my cart jetter out this morning to a restaurant and bar loaded with the root ranger and screwdriver nozzle. Combination of floor sinks, floor drains and floor and wall cleanouts. 2" traps I will cable with the k50 and 5/8" cable.

Rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Hope it went well! Our quick release fittings are designed to lock when pressurised. When they are depressurised the nozzle will not come undone because you are pulling it back. It could only come undone if you push it forward and that's very hard to do!

Do you have a Grease Ball Nozzle for the grease line? They have 8 rear jets on a tight angle for maximum thrust. You need a Mustang Nozzles Agency in the US!!
                        Regards, Bill

Albert Einstein

Comment

Job went real good. The restraunt bar is only 20 months old. Good thing its all plumbed in abs. Lots of cleanouts, floor sinks, floor drains. But the original plumber knocked 2 yellow test plugs into the floor drains and were stuck in the traps. My 5/8" Rick reverse auger was able to grab them and pull them back. They also didn't remove a 3" test plug from a floor c.o and a partial from a floor drain.

For a place that's gorgeous, with all the deco floor tile and walls, the plumber was too lazy to go back and clean up his work.

The place should turn into a gold mine as the owner has a track record of success. Turned a concept burger place into a worldwide franchise in under 8 years. Not bad for someone who started out looking for a good burger 1 night and decided he could do better.

Rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                          X