Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How Could I Go Wrong........

Originally posted by kol 15 View Post
    The 5/16 cable is very flexible. This is nice for those sharp corners.
    The 5/8 cable is bigger and little more stiff. This is nice because this pushes the blockage more than the blockage pushing it and the cable helps in cleaning.
    It is like a drum machine with a small cable campared to a 1.25" cable. The 1.25" cable is more likely to do more cleaning of the pipe than the drum machine cable.
    But each cable does have its benefits.

There you go...

But the pistol rodder still comes out on top

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
      There you go...

But the pistol rodder still comes out on top
      I really don't like my K45. The slide clutch and autofeed are useless in old 1.5" galvy with CI fittings, which is all I ever need a pistol rod for (lavs and tubs).

Give me a Jacobs clutch pistol any day. General Handyelectric

Sometimes I use the 5/8 cable on lavs, mostly on on kitchen sinks, laundry and showers

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        It's not about calbacks because who would leave a sink not draining. Its about how well its cleaned.

A 5/16" bulb head cable doesn't come close to a 5/8" sectional cable with cutter.

Run a camera into a drain that you used your pistol on and then run a camera that a 5/8" sectional has passed through. Not even close. All a 5/16" cable does is poke a hole and grab some hair. It clears the stoppage, not cleans the pipe.

Showers and laundry stand pipes get the 5/8" cable. Along with floor drains and floor sinks. 1.5"-2" Cleanouts get the 5/8" cable or even the 7/8" cable. Tubs get the 5/16" cable as it's too easy to destroy a waste and overflow on a tub.

Rick.
        This is a spectacular point.
        One drain cleared with the smaller cable could last 1 year or so,, then the other drain cleared with a bigger more appropriate cable could last 5 or so.
        I always, (almost always) use the biggest I can use.
        A certain individual can clear a drain and not get a call back, but if it backs up again within approx a year and the customer can remember the drain cleaner using a drill with a skinny cable he may not get a call back forever and ever.
        Which is why I always pull traps on lavs, putting a 1/4 down the pop up and clearing and calling it good is in no way acceptable. This because the can be a q tip or something similar that will keep catching debris and will have to be cleared again to soon. Thus causing add on expense to our friendly customer.
        There is an exception here or there, it's a pedestal or your certain it's all going to crumble apart underneath and the h/o is short on cash. The only objection I see to this opinion is if one just stated a skinny cable is cool and is to proud to admit otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
          I really don't like my K45. The slide clutch and autofeed are useless in old 1.5" galvy with CI fittings, which is all I ever need a pistol rod for (lavs and tubs).

Give me a Jacobs clutch pistol any day. General Handyelectric

Sometimes I use the 5/8 cable on lavs, mostly on on kitchen sinks, laundry and showers

I agree, there are times when a Jacobs chuck would be nice.

Comment

Hmmmmm..........didn't someone in this thread just weeks ago stand behind a person on this forum for using a hand spinner to clear a 3" line ?

Comment

Hmmmmm..........didn't someone in this thread just weeks ago stand behind a person on this forum for using a hand spinner to clear a 3" line ?
              Copy paste

Comment

Originally posted by theplungerman View Post
                Who's in charge of determining if a line is properly cleaned.
                If you can get a big line to pop open with a hand spinner then it probably all washed down, (unless it was roots, then u would know) other than that, pack it up.
                My goal has been to spend the least amount of money of my customers. Until my new jetter comes in a few weeks. Lol

Comment

Some of this is grandstanding B.S.

I'm sure that Assy knows what needs to be done to a line with whatever equipment he chooses. People with a little knowledge love to judge. I've done it too but am trying to do better.

I'm sure everyone that has cleared a tub from the overflow has ran the largest cable & head possible...right?
                  Then you camera'd every time...right?
                  When you've gotten that sink open through the drain, you then took it all apart and went and got another machine with larger cable....right?
                  Then after that you jetted it....right?
                  Then camera'd it....right?
                  Presented the customer with these myriad of options of how much they wanted to clean the line & what they wanted to pay...right?
                  And if you didn't you didn't "properly clean" the line, are a hack, and cheated the customer...right?
                  All those years when NO-ONE jetted, equipment was limited, and you didn't have a camera available, you were a hack lying, cheating, and doing a disservice to customers....right?

I had a K39AF and hated the S.O.B. Someone stole it and I'm glad. Assy might have got off of ebay by now. But I have little doubt that Assy knows what he's doing and gives every bit the service as any of you on secondary lines with whatever equipment you choose to use.

P.S. It was me that opened a 3" main with a handspinner in case anyone is wondering or wanting to call B.S.
                  Two bathrooms.
                  Side by side.
                  Floor drain in both.
                  I went in THROUGH THE FLOOR DRAIN. Half or more in drain cleaning is knowing plumbing, drainage & "typical" venting diagrams. Knowing where to go gives you the best chance.
                  Felt and pulled multiple paper towels several times through the floor drain.

That was 4 or 5 years ago.

I didn't need a jetter, K39, k45, k50, k60, Eel, Spartan, General etc. or a camera either. I know what needs to be done, can be done, and limitations of equipment.

Just as others do.

Comment

WELL SAID!!

hey, can I get just a pinch of whatever it is you're smoking over there?

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post

I'm sure that Assy knows what needs to be done to a line with whatever equipment he chooses. People with a little knowledge love to judge. I've done it too but am trying to do better.

I'm sure everyone that has cleared a tub from the overflow has ran the largest cable & head possible...right?
                    When you've gotten that sink open through the drain, you then took it all apart and went and got another machine with larger cable....right?
                    Presented the customer with these myriad of options of how much they wanted to clean the line & what they wanted to pay...right?
                    And if you didn't you didn't "properly clean" the line, are a hack, and cheated the customer...right?
                    All those years when NO-ONE jetted, equipment was limited, and you didn't have a camera available, you were a hack lying, cheating, and doing a disservice to customers....right?

I had a K39AF and hated the S.O.B. Someone stole it and I'm glad. Assy might have got off of ebay by now. But I have little doubt that Assy knows what he's doing and gives every bit the service as any of you on secondary lines with whatever equipment you choose to use.

P.S. It was me that opened a 3" main with a handspinner in case anyone is wondering or wanting to call B.S.
                    Two bathrooms.
                    Side by side.
                    Floor drain in both.
                    I went in THROUGH THE FLOOR DRAIN. Half or more in drain cleaning is knowing plumbing, drainage & "typical" venting diagrams. Knowing where to go gives you the best chance.

I didn't need a jetter, K39, k45, k50, k60, Eel, Spartan, General etc. or a camera either. I know what needs to be done, can be done, and limitations of equipment.

Just as others do.

Comment

Just lick the primer dauber once in awhile and all will become clear.

(I kid! I kid!)

Comment

That was a spectacular point, bravo. But... That was a sewer lateral I was referring to. Kitchen sink and lavs will benefit the most from the biggest cable. But still kudos to you.

Comment

Two bathrooms.
                          Side by side.
                          Floor drain in both.

Just as others do.
                          Putting a hand held spinner down a kitchen sink or lav through a trap isn't cool man. Those lines need 3/8 or 1/2, by pulling a trap. Yo I have spoken yo. Lol.
                          Why are you sticking up for Mr fancy pants aka butduration. Lol
                          Grandstanding? Aren't you grandstanding? Its all cool. Big smile.

Comment

Nope.

And not sticking up for anyone but rather the principle that different people can achieve similar results with different equipment.

I don't think I've ever tried to be "cool" on a job.

But I have always got the drain open if it could be. And can't remember a callback on one.

Yo.

Comment

Nope.

And not sticking up for anyone but rather the principle that different people can achieve similar results with different equipment.

I don't think I've ever tried to be "cool" on a job.

But I have always got the drain open if it could be. And can't remember a callback on one.

Yo.
                              Right on Bob, thanks.

Comment

just finished a 3 hour stoppage and I was the 2nd man on the job. 1st. one walked away frustrated after spending all afternoon with no luck with his new cable and hand gun.

lav and shower had a common stoppage. toilet was not affecting the shower, but also was not plugged at the time. this being a 5 year old detached guest house.

snake out the 2 '' shower with my k-50 and 5/8'' reverse auger. cleared it at approx. 35' which made no sense as the toilet was ok. 5' away. didn't feel right about the toilet so I kept filling and flushing until it started to back up and leak from the seal. pulled toilet and also snaked with 5/8'' cable. 3'' abs. line cleared but didn't feel right. gut feeling was something from construction was wrong.

gut feeling was right as my camera showed that the line was pretty much flat and had low spots. at 30' out it was only 11'' below grade. the shower actually came in at 36' away at the point of the stoppage. so snaking from the shower cleared the shower and left sludge and paper prior to the 36' common tee.

owner and house guest were very impressed by not only my equipment, snake, camera, locator, but even more impressed by my gut feeling that there was something still wrong from construction.

house guest are from Austria and he wants to be movie producer. my rm200, dvd pak and sr20 locator blew him away. who knows, maybe his first production will be plumber rick to the rescue.

rick.
                                Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 09-26-2013, 11:36 PM.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X