Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How Could I Go Wrong........

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    just finished a 3 hour stoppage and I was the 2nd man on the job. 1st. one walked away frustrated after spending all afternoon with no luck with his new cable and hand gun.

lav and shower had a common stoppage. toilet was not affecting the shower, but also was not plugged at the time. this being a 5 year old detached guest house.

snake out the 2 '' shower with my k-50 and 5/8'' reverse auger. cleared it at approx. 35' which made no sense as the toilet was ok. 5' away. didn't feel right about the toilet so I kept filling and flushing until it started to back up and leak from the seal. pulled toilet and also snaked with 5/8'' cable. 3'' abs. line cleared but didn't feel right. gut feeling was something from construction was wrong.

gut feeling was right as my camera showed that the line was pretty much flat and had low spots. at 30' out it was only 11'' below grade. the shower actually came in at 36' away at the point of the stoppage. so snaking from the shower cleared the shower and left sludge and paper prior to the 36' common tee.

owner and house guest were very impressed by not only my equipment, snake, camera, locator, but even more impressed by my gut feeling that there was something still wrong from construction.

house guest are from Austria and he wants to be movie producer. my rm200, dvd pak and sr20 locator blew him away. who knows, maybe his first production will be plumber rick to the rescue.

rick.

Really..... ? This was perfect timing

Are you thinking I would have tried to tackle a 2"/3" line with my pistol rodder ?

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
      Really..... ? This was perfect timing

Are you thinking I would have tried to tackle a 2"/3" line with my pistol rodder ?

Yes perfect timing. I was in court all morning with phone off. They left 2 messages and when I got out they already had another person sch. As its a guest house with 2 guest in from Austria.

They called me at 3 begging for help.

What would you have used to snake out a 2" shower drain with no cleanouts? Toilet was not initially affected only the shower and lav sink.

His pistol gun failed as the shower line doesnt tie into the main until at least 36' downstream from the closet bend. Of course none of us knew this or could have expected this in a newer less than 5 year old build.

Toilet had no affect on the sunken shower.

Long story short, the abs line has little to no grade, contractor walked off job prior to finishing it a few years back. Camera shows the poor slope and build up. Other than installing an outside 2 way cleanout, or sump pit, there is no way to get any more slope.

And yes, this was yesterdays job 1 of 2 after court. read my rant about the dmv and commercial truck registration.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Yes perfect timing. I was in court all morning with phone off. They left 2 messages and when I got out they already had another person sch. As its a guest house with 2 guest in from Austria.

What would you have used to snake out a 2" shower drain with no cleanouts? Toilet was not initially affected only the shower and lav sink.

His pistol gun failed as the shower line doesnt tie into the main until at least 36' downstream from the closet bend. Of course none of us knew this or could have expected this in a newer less than 5 year old build.

Long story short, the abs line has little to no grade, contractor walked off job prior to finishing it a few years back. Camera shows the poor slope and build up. Other than installing an outside 2 way cleanout, or sump pit, there is no way to get any more slope.

And yes, this was yesterdays job 1 of 2 after court. read my rant about the dmv and commercial truck registration.

Rick.
        18 gpm 4k psi,

Did you get it knocked down?

Comment

Rick.

My 100 with 13/32" and C cutter.

Comment

Will that get through a 2" trap? 3/8" was always difficult / stiff with a hand gun. Plus 35' was max in a drum plus heavy.

Rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Will that get through a 2" trap? 3/8" was always difficult / stiff with a hand gun. Plus 35' was max in a drum plus heavy.

Rick.

OK, I know there will be many waving the BS flag but here it is.....

I get a call from one of my plumber friends today for a 2" PVC kitchen sink/washer dump line that runs horizontal about 25' before hitting the main stack in the basement. Line was getting overwhelmed when the washer spun out & backing up into the sink.

When I called the home owner he told me he has had others out to work on this line 4 times in the last 6 months. I know for a fact who was out two of the times and what equipment he runs on small lines, yes the almighty K-50

I roll out the 100 (yes Rick it has wheels ) and start going through the washer stack with a decent size C bit. Get out about 15' and it's having trouble getting through. Put on a small half blade, quickly broke through and it's now taking washer spin outs.

Grab my microDrain and it's a major buildup of white grease. Put the good size blade back on my 100 run the line then the microDrain again to verify it's clean.

The only reason I ran the camera was because of the recent history and I wanted to be 100% sure the 5th time wasn't a fail.

So, more often then not even an OK tool in the hands of a poorly skilled person will give chitty results.

I'm just sayin'................

Last edited by AssTyme; 09-27-2013, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Rick.

No problem on plastic lines I run the Spartan style cable with the #8 bulb head. And yes 35' of 3/8" is damn heavy in a pistol rodder
                Last edited by AssTyme; 09-27-2013, 04:38 PM.

Comment

You two just happen to have the "save the day" stories at the right time. LOL

Comment

White grease.

C bit was a 1.5".

Comment

I thought this thread was about the pistol rodder?
                      That looks like a drum machine.

Just asking.

Is that the floor of your van? That is really CLEAN.
                      Roots beware of the C snake with shark teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by kol 15 View Post
                        I thought this thread was about the pistol rodder?
                        That looks like a drum machine.

Just asking.

Is that the floor of your van? That is really CLEAN.

Threads rarely stay on track and I'm all good with it

Yeah it's my month old 2014 Chevy Express extended van

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                          Nope.

And not sticking up for anyone but rather the principle that different people can achieve similar results with different equipment.

I don't think I've ever tried to be "cool" on a job.

But I have always got the drain open if it could be. And can't remember a callback on one.

Yo.

Yeah, you got my back

Comment

Working...
                          X