Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why..........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Why..........

    Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
    Well, most of us know it doesn't. But it probably has to do with the quality and knowledge of the people they are sending out, decreasing liability, and some might be more efficient that way.


    Maybe.... ??? More efficient at what cost


    Just seems like a total waste of money as the 2nd guy would be just scratcn' his azz 99% of the time.

    Does the 2nd guy even get out of the van for secondary lines or plugged toilets ?

    I just shake my head in disbelief every time I see this.
    Last edited by AssTyme; 10-03-2013, 05:01 PM.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Why..........

      Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
      Maybe... ???


      Just seems like a total waste of money as the 2nd guy would be just scratcn' his azz 99% of the time.

      Does the 2nd guy even get out of the van for secondary lines or plugged toilets ?

      I just shake my head in disbelief every time I see this.
      It's probably because you are the owner, and no-one works as hard as the owner. There is typically an inherent inefficiency with employees.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Why..........

        I would think that if the job is billed out as time and material/ equipment, the owner of the property would be pissed paying for a second guy who is basically doing nothing. assuming that the company is billing for a second man.

        if it's flat rate, I guess it doesn't matter if they send the entire work force. but at the same time, someone is paying and therefore charging for a second man.

        of course with the slew of these $49.00-99.00 drain cleaning ads, they send 2 guys at first, followed by the supervisor and the camera and then the $5,000-10,000 estimate. there is no such thing as a free lunch with them.

        when I have 36 unit mains to clean in a day, I bring help, but then again its a contract bid and they already know the cost of the project. but we work separately and do our own cleaning. just speeds up the day for the owners waiting around on a Saturday.

        rick.
        phoebe it is

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Why..........

          They may be training someone.
          It seems like the big companies do not pay well so they have a high turnover hence always training someone.
          Roots beware of the C snake with shark teeth.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Why..........

            Originally posted by kol 15 View Post
            They may be training someone.
            It seems like the big companies do not pay well so they have a high turnover hence always training someone.


            Nope not training just small one or two truck companies that ALWAYS run two guys on a call.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Why..........

              Small company = maybe Dad and son.
              Roots beware of the C snake with shark teeth.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Why..........

                They probably come from a job where they needed two guys than there next job possibly needs two guys. Its common for a journeyman and apprentice to ride together
                aaround here. That's how younger guys get
                Trained and older guys don't have to lift
                Mike
                Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Why..........

                  Originally posted by haycad View Post
                  They probably come from a job where they needed two guys than there next job possibly needs two guys. Its common for a journeyman and apprentice to ride together
                  aaround here. That's how younger guys get
                  Trained and older guys don't have to lift
                  You seem to have it.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Why..........

                    Oh my. Glad to see nothings changed around here. Drums vs. sections . K60 vs. whoever. Glad to see everyone is still standing their ground and / or sitting on buckets...Personally i'm still on the k60 bandwagon and I have never needed a hand using it
                    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Why..........

                      I had my son work with me this summer (he was 9). Needed something for him to do so he would grab the end of the k60 cable and walk it back and I would disconnect it. Boy that little bit really helped out. I remember one job was 135' of cable and we tripped outta that drain so easy. Even though he was 9, I was actually losing money (I charge TM) because he was so helpful. I can really see how a 2 man crew can make jobs go super quick....flat rate them and you can make a ton.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Why..........

                        Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        I had my son work with me this summer (he was 9). Needed something for him to do so he would grab the end of the k60 cable and walk it back and I would disconnect it. Boy that little bit really helped out. I remember one job was 135' of cable and we tripped outta that drain so easy. Even though he was 9, I was actually losing money (I charge TM) because he was so helpful. I can really see how a 2 man crew can make jobs go super quick....flat rate them and you can make a ton.
                        Starting him young gear junkie,
                        mine worked with me when they were young also, I found them the most help doing a repipe
                        for crawling back and forth hauling in the pipes or what ever
                        JERRYMAC
                        E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                        CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                        FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                        SINCE JAN. 1989

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X