X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had A Flat Tire Today..........

on my 300. Looks like the rim rusted on the inside causing the valve stem to no longer seal.

What a PITA it was to get into basement on my first job this morning.

Guess I'll have to start carrying a spare

Re: Had A Flat Tire Today..........

why not install a tube and not worry about the seal.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      why not install a tube and not worry about the seal.

rick.

Yes that's probably what I'll end up doing.

Comment

Maybe replace rims every so often or before they get bad you could sand and then paint. Good up keep for those who are picky.
        Had rust push on a value that cause a slow leak once.
        Roots beware of the C snake with shark teeth.

Comment

I read the title of the thread and thought I have not had a flat tire this week, or (at least one that I need to work on) yes one tire on the disk went flat, I did have to fill two tires on the combine, I usually average two tires a week that need patched or repaired, I guess when one owns there own tire machine you have your share of flats.

I will nearly do any thing I can to not use a tube in a tire,{Even on the larger farm machinery)

I have even taken out tubes of tube type tires and had better luck,

I would clean up the area and use a clamp in valve stem, picture below.

the rubber ones are not very good any more, I use the clamp in style on most all my rims if I can, and have had them last for many years and seal very good.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by BHD; 10-03-2013, 08:09 PM.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
            I read the title of the thread and thought I have not had a flat tire this week, or (at least one that I need to work on) yes one tire on the disk went flat, I did have to fill two tires on the combine, I usually average two tires a week that need patched or repaired, I guess when one owns there own tire machine you have your share of flats.

I will nearly do any thing I can to not use a tube in a tire,{Even on the larger farm machinery)

I have even taken out tubes of tube type tires and had better luck,

I would clean up the area and use a clamp in valve stem, picture below.

the rubber ones are not very good any more, I use the clamp in style on most all my rims if I can, and have had them last for many years and seal very good.
            Why do you have such disdain for tubes in tires?

Thanks.

Comment

what about replacing the tires with those that dont have air in them? they are semi-solid rubber...you've seen the ads with the nails sticking out of them...
              ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Plumber punky has a good point.
                The K-1500 has solid tires and I have never had any flats.
                Roots beware of the C snake with shark teeth.

Comment

first of all a tubeless tire with a small foreign object will slowly leak and if it has a tub in it will deflate relative fast even if the object is pin size or smaller, nearly everything I own at some time has to travel off road, and in the pasture we have cactus, and there is puncture vine, which is not as bad as cactus, but will work it way in to the tire and through the cords in time, the needles will breakoff and keep working in to the rubber,
                  then there is foreign objects in general, nails wire, bolts and so on a tubeless tire can run a lot of miles with a nail or wire in it but a tube is down in mins,

and the same goes for the small tires, wheel barrows and other small air tires, lawn tractor etc., a tubeless tire so much better, as the puncture vine will destroy a tube in a very short time, may of the small tires I run a sealant in them as well, hard to find good small tires most are not much more than a tube with tread, this is the best sealant I have found,
                  http://www.noflats.com/genseal.htm

I drive 6 miles of dirt/gravel roads before I get to pavement,

on the pasture pickup I have airplane tires on it, there side walls are about 15 plys and the tread about 30 plys, true plys not rated, they have stood up to the cactus well,

the other are light truck tires 16" on the one tones, and the tone and half are 20" heavy ply, (they are tube rim is a mulit piece rim, with locking ring, the tractors I have air plane tires on the front, and the rears are reasonably heavy, but did have a flat on the rear of one of them a few weeks ago,

and the way they grade the roads they leave good sized rocks and I have lost many a tire to rock bruising, (tubes are not a factor on this), but one of the road hazards we have,
                  (rock bruising is where you hit a 2 to 3" rock and it breaks the cords in the tire and in time you have a bulge on the tire or loose the tread off it.

side story, I had one of the one tone trucks and went after some seed one day and was on hwy 14 up where the ICBMs are, and now when they work on one, they have more Humvees and MP's the Humvees have 50 cal, on the roof, any way they had about 12 Humvees lined up and down the road in the ditches and down the side roads, any way I went through the area near the ICBM and no more than 1/8 mile PAST the site, the front tire blew, there was a work crew working on fiber optics, and they nearly jumped off there trencher,
                  I was so glad that it did not blow going by the ICBM in the middle of the air force, (not Shure how they would have responded with that loud of a explosion, it bent up the rim and the fender some, nasty blow out),

I in general find the tubeless tire much better in my conditions,
                  Last edited by BHD; 10-03-2013, 10:15 PM.
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Slime makes those no flat tires.

Air filled tires ride smoother on rough terrain, but unless both tires are properly and evenly filled, its a nightmare moving a heavy objet when1 tire is not filled enough.

My 300 has solid tires. Otherwise they would long be flat from lack of use. Been sitting in the shop for possibly 5 years without use. Still solid rubber.

Rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Hey azz,

there ain't no tires on the k-60

Comment

Originally posted by fixitright View Post
                        Hey azz,

there ain't no tires on the k-60

Nope, just a sissy handle

Comment

After further investigation although it said tubeless it did have a tube. There is a pin hole on the outer diameter of the tube, can't find where something may have penetrated the tire ??? The rim is so rusted I think I'm goiing to chit can it not worth my time messing with it.

Tell you what, after running pneumatic tires for over 3 years and now having to temporarily go back to the hard rubber there is no copmparison the hard tires are terrible

Comment

Wire brush, or wheel and a can of spray paint will work wonders. Use the old strip of tube as a liner between the wheel and tube. Should prevent the same scuffing. Most likely the water came in from the wheels valve stem or tire bead when the tire goes soft.

The rust probably ate into the tube.

I would stick with a tube on a small tire. Too easy to pop the bead when the tire goes low and its difficult to reinflate without a compressor in the field. Plus I doubt the wheel will hold air even though the tire will.

Rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              Wire brush, or wheel and a can of spray paint will work wonders. Use the old strip of tube as a liner between the wheel and tube. Should prevent the same scuffing. Most likely the water came in from the wheels valve stem or tire bead when the tire goes soft.

The rust probably ate into the tube.

I would stick with a tube on a small tire. Too easy to pop the bead when the tire goes low and its difficult to reinflate without a compressor in the field. Plus I doubt the wheel will hold air even though the tire will.

Rick.

The paint on the outer rim is all bubbled and ready to flake off. The rust on the inside is very deep at spots it would need to be blasted and repainted.

10/15 years ago I would have repaired this but now I don't like messing with this stuff anymore I just ordered two new wheels.

Work is keeping me busy at around 22 jobs per week and always plenty of other things to do around the house.

Less drama for me.....

Comment

Working...
                              X