My new Mongoose jetter.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My new Mongoose jetter.

Most of the sewers I go to are holding water. So you have to get it opened first. So I think with the k-1500 in this situation with the proper modificaiton one would save on time and the customer would save on the bill.
    Roots beware of the C snake with shark teeth.

Comment

with the right nozzle that I designed, I can blow a hole open in the stoppage faster than anyone with a cable or a jetter.

a powerful jetter like mine and Roberts can get the nozzle to the stoppage in a matter of seconds. with 4000# of jetting power blasting through the stoppage, nothing in its way stands a chance.

now there will be some waste water coming back, so if waste water is not feasible to come back, then a cable could be used to drain the line first. but the speed of the jet and power will get the line flowing faster than you can imagine. keep in mind, I don't have basements that can flood. so some blowback is not an issue. there's been jobs that I've opened in a matter of seconds with my jetter. roots waste and sludge don't stop 4000# of a jet blast.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

As I have said I have cleaned all types of drain and sewer lines spotless with a power rod. Even lines with mud and gravel (window well drains for example that are full of mud and gravel). As for flushing the line, it is called running lots of water while rodding and after rodding. The little straggler of roots are easily cut out with a cutter of the same size or a little larger as the pipe. I have had my sewer camera the first year DeepSee came out with the Blue frame reel, so I have been televising sewers I have rodded for a very long time now. When I first got the camera system, used to send the camera down right after I got the line open with the 2" cutter, then sent it in after I ran a 3" cutter, also after the 4" cutter. If some roots were still around after the 4" cutter I squeezed in a 6" blade (rodding from a 3 1/2" clean out 30' of 4" cast iron then approx. 80' for 6" clay), and this was not an expanding cutter since my father had yet have Marvin weld a Ridgid expanding cutter to a 3/4" leader. After the 6" cutter the lines were spotless.

A jetter of the right size can be faster, but is not the only choice to do a proper cleaning of a sewer. What did the plumbers and sewer cleaners do before their was a jetter and camera system small enough to do residential lines? I can tell you since my father, and myself were cleaning sewers long before jetters and cameras were available to us. We rodded with multiple cutters making multiple passes Filling up washing machines, bathtubs and had the sinks running the whole time we had the rod going. Once the rod made it to the city main we drained the washing machines and tubs to flush the line. As we retrieved the cable we filled everything up again and did this with a minimum of three different sized cutters.

Please do not get me wrong I am not saying a jetter is not a good investment. Heck I own a few different sized jetter units. I just want to get the fact out there, that cabling a line properly can do just as good of a job as a jetter, of course cabling will take a little longer in some cases. The example of galvanized pipe was just to point out it works and it takes a lot more skill to install compared to , lets say copper. And copper takes a lot more skill than pex. All versions work well and have their advantages and disadvantages. I can show you homes with 80+ year old galvanized lines without any issues, same with copper lines. As for pex, I never been a fan the Chicago area mostly doesn't allow it, mostly due to rodents.
        Last edited by SewerRatz; 10-26-2013, 06:44 AM.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

In my area a jetter is not needed on 99.9% of residential lines. Just a gimmick to suck extra $$$ from customer.

The correct machine, bits and a good cable operator is all that's needed.

Comment

Ron, you're the 1% of drain cleaners. Not sure how a 6" double blade will squeeze down to 4", make turns and offsets and continue to 6" without binding. But if you've done it, I can tell you no one I've followed has. Its hard enough to get 4"cutters through 4" cast pipe with buildup. Then in 6" its pretty useless for scraping the walls.

Jetting automatically blast the walls of the pipe. I can enter 2", continue into 3", 4", 5", and finish in 6" without a blade change and cover every spot and joint.

When I jet buildings as a preventative, the debris and scale I pull out of the lines and into my trash cans at the end of the day will blow away all doubters. With a cable, even if you scrape the debris as well as my jetter, its not getting washed out. It's staying in the pipe and collecting at the bottom. Scale doesn't float or wash down. Its too heavy and metalic. My jetter brings it back out of the line into my trash cans. That's why jetting can be a mess because it washes out the pipe debris back to the openings.

We all know that styrene area drain pipe and fittings can't hold up to snaking as the fitings are tight turn, non directional and junk. Running a stiff cable with blades will break the fittings and damage the pipe. Plus most of that pipe is no longer round. A jetter will easily make the turns without damage and navigate the oval pipe and still flush out the system. Impossible to do it with a snake with good results.

Yes before we had jetters and cameras, you put the cable in and assumed the pipe was clean when the water went down. But as we all know, anybody can drill a hole in a stoppage and make it drain. But now with cameras we can actually see the end results of the so called cleaning. Now with jetters we can easily clean pipes that were only opened and not cleaned.

What did doctors do before X rays and mri's, ct scans. They either guessed, missed stuff, or did unnecessary procedures.

This morning I have 36 cleanouts to camera so that after 5 years of preventative annual cleaning for the entire complex, they will actually know what lines need cleaning, what don't and what need repairs. This is a 1967 building with cast and clay. Not every line has roots or major offsets. But the camera will document the ones that do. The problem ones will get lined or dug up. The good ones will get skipped in the future. No need to waste time and money on clean lines. Focus on the problem lines. It's taken 4 years to get them to camera the complex.

Rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

SewerRatz, your dad sounds like a great plumber and taught you well. I believe you about being able to clear lines well without a jetter. However I don't believe it takes a little longer, more like a lot longer.

Tyme, this is not a gimmick move, in fact that was my advertising angle when I started out, NO GIMMICKS. I haven't had to advertise for for over 20 years. Plumbers don't succeed or stay around with only word of mouth who are gimmicky or dishonest,,,, , let's call a spade a spade,,, . It's a very powerful alternative, when the situation calls for it. Go ahead and strap yourself to a powerful drill with a large cable chucked in tight and rod out that root packed sewer YOU BIG STUD. But when you tear something in your body and have life long problems because of that don't go crying to momma.
              Last edited by theplungerman; 10-26-2013, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Gee Whiz,

My sectional is better than your drum.

Sound familiar?

Comment

what a funny thread. plumbers hate change. good thing plumbers didn't run the world when plumbing was invented . they would never have changed to-------plumbing

Comment

Just today I on a line 13 root intrusions...all bad.....jetted it out in about 1-1/2 hours. 3" abs to-6" Clay pipe....no cracks, no offsets, pipe looks brand new. I could never achieve those results by rotary clearing methods.....at least not that quickly. Embrace change or get left behind.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I had a customer with a split level house (the lower level was basically storage) complain about sewer odor. Pulled the toilet in the lower level and ran a cable completely down the line, it came back covered in black slop. Repeated that several times with the same results. Discovered the house had a slight crawl space. Also discovered the reason for the smell, the shower ptrap had separated from the shower drain and that's where the sewage was going, just dumping into the crawl space. I knocked a brass plug out of a cleanout and found the pipe completely blocked with the black sludge. Found the sewer line outside the house, no cleanout, cut into it and the pipe was 100% blocked with sludge in both directions. At that point I called in our jetter, if someone wants to cable that mess they can have it.

Another customer (friend) had stupidly invested in a single apartment building in an abandoned apartment complex deep in the 'hood. Unfortunately the 8 unit building was downhill/downstream from several other 'investment' buildings. When I got the call and arrived onsite I found the 1st floor completely flooded with sewage and 2 manholes in the front yard area were leaching sewage. A couple of 100 feet downstream was a dry manhole (about 18' deep) with 10" concrete pipe. Drop in the Warthog, firewall the throttle and away we go. We watched coke cans, bricks, beer bottles, toys, car parts, rusted handguns, roots, sludge and all types of junk wash through the manhole as the jetter slowly worked it's way upstream. Finally the jetter cleared enough that initially I thought a freight train was coming down the line. Actually several hundred feet of head pressure up a steep hill was free at last. It was coming down the hill so fast the manhole, all 18', almost filled up. We backed away and let gravity do it's thing.

Yes, we have sewer machines and use them regularly but there are so many situations where a jetter is the answer and sometimes the only answer.

David

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                        what a funny thread. plumbers hate change. good thing plumbers didn't run the world when plumbing was invented . they would never have changed to-------plumbing

This has nothing to do with not liking change and everything to do with why get something that I would VERY seldom use, be in the way collecting dust. I LOVE change if it's for the better and would be one of the first to jump on board.

With well over 3,500 drains successfully cleared in almost 3 1/2 years I can only think of a handful of times when I would have brought in a jetter if I had one. If I can't get it open it most likely needs to be dug up or replaced.

Also keep in mind I live in Wisconsin and 95% of my main line access is in basements.

Sorry, I speak the truth.
                        Last edited by AssTyme; 10-27-2013, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                          This has nothing to do with not liking change and everything to do with why get something that I would VERY seldom use, be in the way collecting dust. I LOVE change if it's for the better and would be one of the first to jump on board.

With well over 3,500 drains successfully cleared in almost 3 1/2 years I can only think of a handful of times when I would have brought in a jetter if I had one. If I can't get it open it most likely needs to be dug up or replaced.

Also keep in mind I live in Wisconsin and 95% of my main line access is in basements.

When the guys like you need more, (for those handful of jobs) plz can call me. For a reasonable fee of course. I didn't get this as a gimmick to fleece more money from my customers. This all came about because I had to dig up a root packed sewer for more money than I could have opened it up with a jetter. And for those handful of times drain studs like you could offer a more sensible solution, you can call a jetter guy like me.
                          You only think your speaking the truth
                          The tone in your posts suggests my purchase of this jetter is a gimmick, shame on you grasshopper.

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post

I've got the same problem with basement cleanouts. if 95% of my jobs were from outside cleanouts I would only use a jetter on those. easier on me and faster we will disagree on better.

Grease blockages are a piece of cake with a jetter. long runs are way easier with a jetter, some of the commercial outfits only want there lines jetted, I can't get that easy money because I don't have a jetter. getting dirt scale and rocks out of storm drains is way easier with a jetter,

Oh yes I will get a jetter. But I will still be lugging my auger into basements because of no outside cleanouts. what a shame

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                              I've got the same problem with basement cleanouts. if 95% of my jobs were from outside cleanouts I would only use a jetter on those. easier on me and faster we will disagree on better.

Grease blockages are a piece of cake with a jetter. long runs are way easier with a jetter, some of the commercial outfits only want there lines jetted, I can't get that easy money because I don't have a jetter. getting dirt scale and rocks out of storm drains is way easier with a jetter,

Oh yes I will get a jetter. But I will still be lugging my auger into basements because of no outside cleanouts. what a shame

I have no beef with the need for a jetter on storm drains, restaurants, commercial joints, etc...

This is a VERY small percentage of my work. I'm 95%+ residential & plenty busy with no need/want to expand my services.
                              Last edited by AssTyme; 10-27-2013, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Did a main sewer rod from a 4" closet ell, multiple tight turns, Ran a 2" blade to open the line. Then I ran the 3", 4" and a 6" cutter. Line total footage was 96' Cleaned up the mess reset the water closet, and handed the gentleman the bill for the whole hour and half it took me to do him a proper job. Now if I wanted to jet the same line I would of had to run a dirty jumper hose across his living room and dining room to get the access I was rodding from in the bathroom. Then there would of been all the water that would of flowed out of the closet ell till I got the jetter to the blockage 45' out. So the mess would of been bigger, and any time I would of saved jetting would of gone into clean up and running the jumper hose in such a way not to make a mess.

As I said I own several jetters, they have a time and place to be used. To open a main sewer full of tree roots is not one of them. I pull out the jetter for a main sewer when I come across sludge blockages or heavy grease.
                                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
                                X