Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My new Mongoose jetter.

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
    Did a main sewer rod from a 4" closet ell, multiple tight turns, Ran a 2" blade to open the line. Then I ran the 3", 4" and a 6" cutter. Line total footage was 96' Cleaned up the mess reset the water closet, and handed the gentleman the bill for the whole hour and half it took me to do him a proper job. Now if I wanted to jet the same line I would of had to run a dirty jumper hose across his living room and dining room to get the access I was rodding from in the bathroom. Then there would of been all the water that would of flowed out of the closet ell till I got the jetter to the blockage 45' out. So the mess would of been bigger, and any time I would of saved jetting would of gone into clean up and running the jumper hose in such a way not to make a mess.

As I said I own several jetters, they have a time and place to be used. To open a main sewer full of tree roots is not one of them. I pull out the jetter for a main sewer when I come across sludge blockages or heavy grease.

Comment

[QUOTE=SewerRatz;407084]Did a main sewer rod from a 4" closet ell, multiple tight turns, Ran a 2" blade to open the line. Then I ran the 3", 4" and a 6" cutter./QUOTE]

Ron, im confused how you can fit a double 6" cutter that's 1" wide spring steel into a 4" pipe and make it around a closet bend, heel outlet and combys in a cast iron line. Heck its hard enough with a full 4" double blade in 4" cast lines.

Now if you're only running a single 6" half blade, then I can understand how. But a full double 6" x 1" wide blade is so stiff, I have no idea how you can squeeze it in, make turns and manage to get downstream with it. I have them in my truck, but they're only for 6" pipe.

My expanding 4x6" cutters are pretty useless. They are very heavy with too light of a spring. They easily spring down instead of stay open.

Would really love to see a video of it being done. Heck im going out to my truck just to see if I can squeeze a 6" cutter down to 4"

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

[quote=plumber rick;407090]
        Originally posted by sewerratz View Post
        did a main sewer rod from a 4" closet ell, multiple tight turns, ran a 2" blade to open the line. Then i ran the 3", 4" and a 6" cutter./quote]

ron, im confused how you can fit a double 6" cutter that's 1" wide spring steel into a 4" pipe and make it around a closet bend, heel outlet and combys in a cast iron line. Heck its hard enough with a full 4" double blade in 4" cast lines.

Now if you're only running a single 6" half blade, then i can understand how. But a full double 6" x 1" wide blade is so stiff, i have no idea how you can squeeze it in, make turns and manage to get downstream with it. I have them in my truck, but they're only for 6" pipe.

My expanding 4x6" cutters are pretty useless. They are very heavy with too light of a spring. They easily spring down instead of stay open.

Would really love to see a video of it being done. Heck im going out to my truck just to see if i can squeeze a 6" cutter down to 4"

rick.

Which ones are you referring to ? My Eel 4"x6" does an excellent job in 6" lines.

If the spring was much tighter it would be a pain to get through the rougher 4" cast.

Comment

Rick, you can squeeze the double 6" pair cutter down to 2" or as wide as the blade holder. I had a job where the only cleanout was a 2" saddle tee on a 4" cast iron line. We squeezed the 6" cutter through that 2" opening and did an A1 job.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          Ron's Facebook
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
            In my area a jetter is not needed on 99.9% of residential lines. Just a gimmick to suck extra $$$ from customer.

The correct machine, bits and a good cable operator is all that's needed.
            Nah, take the money and run. Seriously if you give bang for their buck whats the problem Down here there were some guys just punching the choke and coming back a month later. Jetter and camera,. Also cables are too hard on the vit clay pipes we used to use down here. Smash them around and bugger the traps as well

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
              Nah, take the money and run. Seriously if you give bang for their buck whats the problem Down here there were some guys just punching the choke and coming back a month later. Jetter and camera,. Also cables are too hard on the vit clay pipes we used to use down here. Smash them around and bugger the traps as well

There are hacks in every trade no matter what tool they are given.

Comment

Now it's more official, I'm properly registered. I have the trailer plates and 15k pound stickers. I had to point it out to the dmv lady she didn't write me up correctly with the cgvw (combined gross vehicle weight) then had to pay an extra 350 ish.
                Then George the sales rep went over the machine with from top to bottom. After that he treated me and my main man John to lunch. Great company. Again very very happy with Mongoose.
                Then practiced on my front lawn in sections of pipes in my different sizes of hoses to get a feel for volumes of water needed for each.
                I'm ready to take a call now.

Comment

Plungerman,

I hope you do well with your new Machine.

Comment

Sewer Equipment of America / Mongoose Jetters are great folk, and both divisions of their company make one of the best trailer jetters on the market, at least in my humble opinion.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    Ron's Facebook
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Did my first job with it today.
                      Swiveled the reel towards the house from the street. Used the remote to payout the reel as it whizzed in. Used the 1/2 hose and warthog on a really bad unpassable section I tried 2 weeks ago. It. It was like now you see me now you don't. The line was sparkling all the way to city except 1 tiny tiny root string. So with the camera I position the warthog and blasted away. Good thing I didn't hold it there to long as it was starting to scour the clay away. Going to have to follow Rick and cudas advice and get a 1/2 rr or double barrel rr for the strings. Maybe 1 of each. Or a root rat... I don't like the blow back on the rr.... Bought 3 locks for the trailer today. 1 for ball, 1 for receiver and 1 for ball release lever. Thanks for letting me sahre

Comment

A little caution from me; I use the rootranger only for huge tough roots that would take many passes with a warthog to clear, if a warthog takes off any of the pipe I would never take the root ranger to it because it will waste it faster than you can stop it. But I use the warthog for 80% of my work because the shape of the unit makes it not get stuck on Y's and large offsets. I have had the RR go backwards up a Y or a Santee and it was hell to get back.
                        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                          A little caution from me; I use the rootranger only for huge tough roots that would take many passes with a warthog to clear, if a warthog takes off any of the pipe I would never take the root ranger to it because it will waste it faster than you can stop it. But I use the warthog for 80% of my work because the shape of the unit makes it not get stuck on Y's and large offsets. I have had the RR go backwards up a Y or a Santee and it was hell to get back.
                          Thanks, I thought because of the angle coming off the rr to be less than a warthog it would be less evasive. Because of the rr blowback I would be willing to go root rat to get rid of those stupid tiny hangers, if it would, I know 1 or 2 hangers is not a big deal, I just want the customer to see a perfectly clear pipe. The job I did today was perfect except ONE, I mean only ONE hanger. Bummer

Comment

To me the rr is less harmfull as there is no banging carbide inserts rubbing on the pipes and a much steeper rear angle.

Some of the real old clay is softer with less glazing and that might flake a little surface scale, but more so with a warthog or a rootrat with cables or chain flails.

Pretty simple to mark your hoses so you can match your camera distances. Or run the camera in and pull it back to your live camera with the water off when you pull it to the camera mark. Either push the camera forward a few feet, or pull it back a good 10'. Jet and rotate back and forth a foot or so, then off and camera. Only takes a second or so in the right spot to blast the roots clean.

It would be nice to have a bullet proof camera, but with a rootranger, it might be impossible, especially with the sonde and spring.

Rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,, How many gpm do you have your 1/2 set for. For now I want to only add 1 more nozzel and be able to bush up or down to use with what hose I'm using at the time,, 3/8 or 1/2. Or am I asking to much?

Comment

My 1/2" rootranger is a #12 jet. That's 12 gpm at 4000#.

I've used it with 3/8" hose with no noticeable drop in performance compared to 1/2". Plus 3/8" is lighter and more flexible.

Rick.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X