X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collections

We all get dead beats. They come in all forms.

Liens are worthless as you never get first lien rights and all the money's
    gone before your name comes up.

Small claims court sometimes works but your off work to go and collecting
    is not guaranteed.

Has anyone tried collection agency's?

Re: Collections

In 3 1/2 years I'm out around $500.00, not too bad. It really gets on my nerves when people steal from me but I try to remember there's nothing I can do it's just part of doing business and should be factored in as such.

After 90 days I will start calling once per day sometimes more if they do not answer or return my call. Most of the time this works sometimes not. I've had the cops call me to tell me to stop calling a person before he said if I called again I was getting arrested I said the POS owes me $$$ he said take it to court. It's not worth it.

Owe me $$$ and you're going to hear from me non stop I even knock on doors when I'm in the area.

It's a never ending battle I'm calling people every week trying to get past due $$$
    Last edited by AssTyme; 10-30-2013, 05:50 PM.

Comment

After 40+ years in the biz, the stories I've heard about collecting from dead beats may be urban lore or could be fact, none the less they are interesting.
      1. Plumber couldn't get paid and dropped a piece of rebar down the main vent.
      2. Pumper with a rubber check returned to the house and returned everything he'd pumped out via the two way cleanout to the house.
      3. Doctor who wouldn't pay the plumber, changed his mind when the plumber visited his office smelling to high heaven. Apparently the stink was so bad the waiting room cleared out.
      4. Popular restaurant paid twice for a big water heater when it was repossessed in the early morning hours.
      5. Don't know if it did any good, but a GC, was 1099nd for the value of the labor and materials he didn't pay for.

AP

Comment

I dont need no stinkin' agency... I have the burly Italian guys at my disposal. Only used them once for my wife. The problem was quickly resolved and never happened again.

I wouldn't use rebar in the vent. As we have vented traps here I would use a nylon stocking full of concrete.
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I've had luck with liens. Probably filed 10 or so in the last 15 yrs. I think 8 of them worked. When a deadbeat contractor told me he wasn't going to pay another penny I filed on 5 different jobs, all interestingly enough Jewish lawyers. As soon as the legal letters hit the home owners mailboxes I had one terrified pissed off contractor drive across town, meet me at my convenience and pay in full.

David

Comment

New construction and remodels are a different animal.
            They need those liens signed to finish the job and get paid.
            Service work is a bit different.

These are slum lord rentals.
            I've had good luck until just this month and two turned sour.
            A lien for a small amount sits until the house sells or gets foreclosed.

I owned a business for 30 years in an affiliated construction trade before doing this
            and collected in many ways.

Sitting in front of offices and letting their clients know what I thought of them.
            Sitting in front of their houses or even talking to their wives about their dead beat husbands.
            A few other things that even with the statute of limitations I probably shouldn't mention.

Unfortunately these are warm and fuzzy, politically proper times.
            There also rentals so why disturb the tenants.

These are East Indian/ Pakistani folks who tend to look down on working people.
            I think I'll have some fun.

Comment

• Cleanmen2
              Cleanmen2 commented
              Editing a comment
              Fixit, wish we had the protection here of signoff. Should see our system. Setup for the parasites and Lawyers(yeah not a lotta difference here hey....!!!). Like the idea of rebar, will have to tell Tony about this one.

Going through this right now with a member of the wif's church. She owes me for snaking her kitchen drain and has refused to answer calls. She can't switch churches because she's there on a court order. I'll let karma deal with her. Juice isn't worth the squeeze.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              Going through this right now with a member of the wif's church. She owes me for snaking her kitchen drain and has refused to answer calls. She can't switch churches because she's there on a court order. I'll let karma deal with her. Juice isn't worth the squeeze.
              Contact the court. She may be in violation of the court order by not paying, too.
              ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

After three months and a lot of calls, E-Mails and letters threatening court action
                I finally got paid most of the money owed to me.

Today the same person called needing work done in a hurry.
                I wasn't in a hurry.

Someone else's problem now.

Comment

Originally posted by fixitright View Post
                  After three months and a lot of calls, E-Mails and letters threatening court action
                  I finally got paid most of the money owed to me.

Today the same person called needing work done in a hurry.
                  I wasn't in a hurry.

Someone else's problem now.
                  That idiot is learning a lesson today....

David

Comment

It's a never ending cycle...

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                      Never heard of a court order to attend church.does the court mandate which religion or sect ?
                      Hoping you get your money.

Comment

I won't mention any names but a buddy of mine had the same problem..so he went over there at night turned off the water supply at the b box dumped hydrolic cement on top of the round way..guy calls city ..city says there's no order to turn u off ..we didn't turn u off ...we won't turn u back on...anyway they came out looked at it and says someone dumped cement down it...city says well not our problem..He got paid shortly after that...lol

Comment

I had a guy down the street not wanting to pay for a freeze proof faucet I installed After a few months of him avoiding me I turned his water off and pulled the stem out and left Never got paid but I felt better. Lol he still try's to avoid me "..hes Just a dead beat

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                            I had a guy down the street not wanting to pay for a freeze proof faucet I installed After a few months of him avoiding me I turned his water off and pulled the stem out and left Never got paid but I felt better. Lol he still try's to avoid me "..hes Just a dead beat
                            I had the same happen, however, I used my extra big pair of Channel Locks and crushed the threads.

David

Comment

Working...
                            X