X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small drum cable recommendations

What kind of cable do you guys like for the shower traps? Looking for 5/16 and 3/8 recommendations for my K50 drum adapters.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Small drum cable recommendations

ben, I like the ridgid 5/16'' innercore with bulb head on 1.5'' traps. but honestly on the 2'' traps and drains I use my 5/8'' sectional with reverse auger.

did a laundry 2'' standpipe with trap to 50' with the reverse auger to clean the laundry, kitchen, bar and lav 2''common main and had small roots on the end of my reverse auger.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I have the small Gorlitz tub and sink machine and have never been happy with the Gorlitz cable. Seems to kink too easy. I'm trying General's small tub/sink cable in the Gorlitz. I've got a General mini rooter xp that I don't care for too much but the 3/8" cable is pretty strong.

Comment

I use the General 1/4" IV with bulb head on 1.5" galvy and some 2" . These tend to be lav drains with trap dropped, tub drains from overflow and/or drum trap c/o.

I use the 5/16" innercore on most 2" galvy . Usually Kitchen sink lines. Most of the older K/S drains I see have a horizontal arm in the wall that goes into a tee. On those, I use the general slotted head 5/16" cable with 1 or 2 drop adapters and a spear arrow on the end. The Ridge drop head on the 5/8" sectional usually does not drop for me in 2" galvy. Definitely not in 1.5" galvy.

I find the General cables to be much more durable than the Ridgid cables (unfortunately) Ditto on sectional. The General connectors are so much more durable.

Comment

JM McKinney Company makes pretty good cable in all dimensions
          Dave Doyle
          Los Angeles

Comment

Well.....used a brand new General 5/16 bulb auger inner core cable in my k50 adapter to clear a tub stoppage. Went through a 2" galv trap. All the cable that went down the pipe is ruined. Scratch general off the list.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              Well.....used a brand new General 5/16 bulb auger inner core cable in my k50 adapter to clear a tub stoppage. Went through a 2" galv trap. All the cable that went down the pipe is ruined. Scratch general off the list.
              You and your freak Thor strength did it. Probably could f#@! up an anvil with a banana.

Comment

The trap must have been weak and deteriorating and any cable would've went through it.

Comment

Here's the general on the left....new ridgid cable on the right. Sierra, how would the trap affect the cable?
                  Attached Files
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

How long was that cable? Also depending on which direction it wound inside of the drum when you loaded it can mess it up . I would have run it into a straight pipe first and then while the drum was turning, feed it into the spinning drum.

Rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      How long was that cable? Also depending on which direction it wound inside of the drum when you loaded it can mess it up . I would have run it into a straight pipe first and then while the drum was turning, feed it into the spinning drum.

Rick.
                      Thanks Rick ! thats an awesome idea !
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

25' can't feed it into a spinning drum....it's a k50. Another thought is I used ridgid cable in the drum plenty of times...loaded it the exact same way and never had an issue till I went with the general cable
                        Last edited by gear junkie; 12-29-2013, 01:53 AM.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

The cables themselves can be left or right hand wound.

I have had luck with Mytana small cables and this was pointed out to me on one of
                          my visits there.

Check to see what is recommended.

Their located close to me

Comment

I use 5/16" on lava and tubs ,3/8" on showers ,1/2 " on laundry tubs and kitchen sinks,3/8" on stand pipes with 3 drop attachments and a small drop head works every time.Condition of the trap has nothing to do with it it's all in the flexibility of the cable and what heads on the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                              Here's the general on the left....new ridgid cable on the right. Sierra, how would the trap affect the cable?
                              I read your post wrong. Thought you meant the cable broke through the trap and got twisted all up.

Comment

Working...
                              X