X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Long........

Say the average baby wipe or tampon gets hung up in a cast sewer. How long (months/weeks/years) will it take for this one thing to naturally break down and be totally gone ???

Re: How Long........

It will break down when the snake or jetter grabs it. They just add to the stoppage.
    There are some so called flushable wipes, but they too don't break down like toilet paper.

Set up a couple of cups of water and put the wipes in there. See how long they stay together.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK;408541[COLOR=red
      ]It will break down when the snake or jetter grabs it.[/COLOR] They just add to the stoppage.
      There are some so called flushable wipes, but they too don't break down like toilet paper.

Set up a couple of cups of water and put the wipes in there. See how long they stay together.

Rick.

Not too sure about that those things are very durable. They only seem to wrap around the rod.

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
        Say the average baby wipe or tampon gets hung up in a cast sewer. How long (months/weeks/years) will it take for this one thing to naturally break down and be totally gone ???
        I don't think anyone can answer that. Maybe the manufacturer? But they would be reluctant to give out that engineered equation.

I think it's safe to say that they won't break down before they cause a stoppage. The recent UK "Wipe of Doom" supports that.

And therefore, the actual breakdown time might be considered redundant.

Comment

Our local news paper had an article on this last week. Back up claims of 'flushable' wipes, utilities in Canada tell manufacturers - Winnipeg Free Press

according to a Consumers Reports test quoted in the article good quality toilet paper breaks down around 7 seconds, they (CR) stopped testing after 30 minutes on the wipes as there was no change in appearance.

Comment

I'm going to say months, maybe weeks for the wipes but the feminine stuff has to be months.

Comment

They probably break down faster after I unwrap them off my cable and the dog chews them into smaller pieces

Comment

I pulled a 4" tall 2" wide hard plastic hospital glass out of a drain at the hospital last week somehow got thru a 3" trap on a bed pan sterilizing machine last week, I'll tell you that would have out lived the cast iron I think. K 60 to the rescue again I cork screwed right thru the bottom of it.

Comment

If there is anything non-organic in them (ie. nylon or other polymers) they will be there a long long time before breaking down.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                    If there is anything non-organic in them (ie. nylon or other polymers) they will be there a long long time before breaking down.

Please define "long time"

Comment

Months if not years

Comment

Especially if they are Feminine products

Comment

Rodding a sewer in the country and found two tampons. I told the customer and they said they do not put those down the sewer. They said they have been living there for 10 years. I must have pulled it out of the tank becasue you could tell it had been their a long time(dis-colored).

Wet wipes and tampons are made for endurance - made not to breakdown easily.
                          Roots beware of the C snake with shark teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by kol 15 View Post
                            rodding a sewer in the country and found two tampons. I told the customer and they said they do not put those down the sewer. They said they have been living there for 10 years. I must have pulled it out of the tank because you could tell it had been their a long time(dis-colored).

Wet wipes and tampons are made for endurance - made not to breakdown easily.
                            10 years time to get the tank pumped!
                            JERRYMAC
                            E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                            CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                            FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                            SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                              until some one pulls the string....
                              Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
                              1-920-284-7471

Comment

Working...
                              X