Nozzel Splurge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nozzel Splurge

my 3/8'' warthog hits 4000# at 1790 rpm. not sure what my 1/2'' does it at. I have 3- 1/2'' warthogs. 2 are setup for 4000 at 18 gpm and 1 is setup for 2500 at 12 gpm from an old trailer I had.

some of my nozzles max out my pump and others I have to use my bypass to drop the pressure.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

If you use the bypass to drop pressure are you also dropping gpm. And when you say you use your bypass, are you making an additional adjustment or just referring to you being set up not to go over 4kpsi.

Comment

I have an unloader set to open 100% @ 4500#.

My smaller nozzles and my pusation require me to use the bypass needle valve. I use jet nozzles from 1/8" -1/2". And pulsation shouldn't exceeded 1500#. So between my assortment of nozzles, hoses and pulsation. Bypass is important. Its also a way to swap nozzles and dial in the psi without touching the throttle.

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick, I'll call my jetter salesmen and have him educate me more on bypass. My unloader is set for 4100. I also have a dial that bypasses water. But haven't played with that yet. What rpm's do you like to keep your machine from going over?
          If I got to 4kpsi to fast and my result was 8gpm on my 3/8 set up,, could I bypass the water a tad, therfore holding off the water volume needed for psi to be reached due to back pressure,, now with the resulting higher rpm it takes to get up to back pressure and 4k am I getting more gpm, kinda like a work around. Am I getting closer, or???.
          I was told like you do,, not to use the pulsation above 1500#.

Thanks again, your a huge help.

Comment

A simple way to see your pressure loss is to run your jetter at your rpm that you use for your particular nozzle. Read your pressure gauge without the nozzle, but with the hoses you use including jumper and jetting hoses.

As the rpm goes up so does the gpm and pressure loss from the hoses.

Rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

So say with nozzle x it takes 2000rpm to get to 4000psi with 500 1/2. Now take off nozzel x take engine to 2000 rpm and read gauge. Lets say it says 1500psi.
              So with nozzels x on at 2k rpm and 4k psi I'm really getting 2500 psi at nozzel?

Comment

Props to Enz and MME (where I bought them) in Placentia, we are set up the 23rd(when the salesmen is back in town) to dial in my nozzels. I said send me inserts, they said no let's do it together. They responded in a timely matter and are committed to making me a satisfied customer. Good news.

Comment

Originally posted by theplungerman View Post
                  So say with nozzle x it takes 2000rpm to get to 4000psi with 500 1/2. Now take off nozzel x take engine to 2000 rpm and read gauge. Lets say it says 1500psi.
                  So with nozzels x on at 2k rpm and 4k psi I'm really getting 2500 psi at nozzel?
                  you got it. That's why you gotta ask yourself is the extra gpm worth the pressure loss at the nozzle. This is why the aussies use high pressure.....so by the time it gets to the nozzle there;s still quite a bit of cutting power left
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                    you got it. That's why you gotta ask yourself is the extra gpm worth the pressure loss at the nozzle. This is why the aussies use high pressure.....so by the time it gets to the nozzle there;s still quite a bit of cutting power left
                    Thanks for the confirmation.
                    Wow, I forgot about the pressure loss per gpm thing. It's kinda a wow thought. I thank you for reminding me. I knew I posted and read about this before but completely forgot. I'm going to read this thread again.
                    https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t34483/

Here is a post I made
                    14gpm thru 250 3/8 hose = 1500psi loss
                    12gpm thru 250 3/8 hose = 1000psi loss
                    So with a 4kpsi pump the cleaning units shake out this way according to us jett chart.
                    14x2500= 35000 units
                    12x3000= 36000 units
                    Are these correct and what does this mean?
                    That if you wanted to use 3/8 hose, 12gpm is better than 14gpm,,,,???
                    So to be all you can be? , knowing what kind of flow your getting out of a nozzel is paramount when choosing a nozzel and also just as important the kind of blockage your working with, like roots vs sludge-grease.
                    Thanks again Ben

Comment

Remember that I don't have the jetter you guys do so my answers go off numbers from calculations. Just as I posted above, I'd make a pressure tester with qc nozzles so you can figure out what you get at the nozzle. I would go for 8-10gpm in the 3/8 hose....that hose is for 4-6" and you don't need a huge amount of water. Each gallon you add to the flow, you drop the pressure out the end. But where you do need the gpm is for nozzle holes....lets say you got a warthog and you got 9gpm. You're only getting 3gpm out of each orifice.....that's why my root ranger works so well at low volume....all the spray comes out one hole. This keeps the flow together so it can cut. But you gotta build that tester....it helps me so much see what's happening at the nozzle. I can't believe a nozzle company doesn't use these when these nozzles are so expensive.

As far as the cleaning units....no idea what it means. Maybe an industry standard for pressure washers?
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

BTW....I THINK this is why ridgid chose the pump/hose setup they did. 5.5 3000psi with 3/8 hose is about 150 psi loss per 100'. downsize that to 1/4 hose and it's about 1150 psi per 100'. This gives you 2700 at the nozzle with 200' of hose.

Compare that to their old model. 4gpm 3500 psi.....500 more psi. But the pressure loss for 4gpm per 100' of 1/4" hose is about 650 psi. So their old model only had 2200 psi at the nozzle. 500 psi LESS at the nozzle even though it started with 500 psi MORE at the pump. All because of friction loss.

But you also gotta consider weight of the hose, flexibility around bends because all the pressure is great but doesn't help if it can't pull the nozzle to the stoppage.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          Remember that I don't have the jetter you guys do so my answers go off numbers from calculations. Just as I posted above, I'd make a pressure tester with qc nozzles so you can figure out what you get at the nozzle. I would go for 8-10gpm in the 3/8 hose....that hose is for 4-6" and you don't need a huge amount of water. Each gallon you add to the flow, you drop the pressure out the end. But where you do need the gpm is for nozzle holes....lets say you got a warthog and you got 9gpm. You're only getting 3gpm out of each orifice.....that's why my root ranger works so well at low volume....all the spray comes out one hole. This keeps the flow together so it can cut. But you gotta build that tester....it helps me so much see what's happening at the nozzle. I can't believe a nozzle company doesn't use these when these nozzles are so expensive.

As far as the cleaning units....no idea what it means. Maybe an industry standard for pressure washers?
                          A pressure tester with qc nozzels????
                          Yeah 8-10 good spot. 12gpm adds another pound loss per foot vs 10 gpm. This per the US Jetting graph in the pre mentioned thread.
                          The root ranger certainly levels the playing field, no doubt about it.
                          How do i build that tester????

I think these nozzel guys would go nuts if everyone tried for perfection. Either that or change the way they do business.
                          Thanks.
                          I'm all jacked up from a big jetter job this evening. That's why I'm still up. What's ur excuse?
                          Was in line at Costco checking out and going home when a plumber had 3 business's on 1 line all clog up. A very large building, half a block. A bank, a restaurant and an E cig seller. He couldnt clear with cable
                          Called me in.
                          I played it safe and used the 3/8 hose cuz I couldn't be sure what way the outside flooded clean out went. Under building? Not good. It ended up going away,,, Didn't want a call from Bank in morning saying their is sewage sprayed everywhere.
                          Overtime Jetting? Yeah buddy.

Comment

8 gpm 150' hose......430 psi pressure loss
                            10 gpm .......650 psi
                            12 gpm 900psi

500' of 1/2 hose
                            8gpm....330
                            10gpm.....500
                            12gpm.....690

will post pic later of the tester.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

QC....quick connect. Here's the tester. All 1/4" stuff....just screws on the end of my jetter hose. I step on the foot pedal and read the pressure at the pump and nozzle. Use a 0 degree qc nozzle for easy changes. Since they don't make qc nozzles up to 18 gpm, I'd build one with 3/8" stuff and have the tee be 3/8" x 1/4" and tee off the end so you'll have 3 or 4 nozzles. Just add the size together to find out your flow. So lets say you use this and have four #3 nozzles being used and you're hitting 4000psi at the pump.....then you're pushing out 12 gpm. Each nozzle size is gpm at 4000 psi. Make the nozzle bigger to reduce the pressure or make it smaller to increase the pressure.

Example....I use 4gpm at 3500 psi. I need a 4.5 nozzle. A #4 nozzle will make me hit 4000 psi...pump would blow. If I kept increasing nozzle size, my pressure would go down but my gpm would stay the same(pumps make flow).

But when ordering nozzles, you should go off orifice size cause you're taking hose length out of the equation. If we both have the same jetter and order the same nozzle but different hose lengths and size....then our nozzles will be drilled different. Another cool thing is you'll see how strong the nozzle stream is with the qc nozzles cause it simulates the jetter head orifices.....it just spreads them out. Remember how you said the warthog wasn't great on your old jetter? Build the tester and put a 2.0 nozzle and let it hit a chunk of wood and that's what you were doing with your old warthog setup. Order a bunch of different qc nozzles and experiment on a good balance of flow and pressure.
                              Attached Files
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks Ben, out in the field trying to catch up,,,, I'll read later,,, behind thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X