X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nozzel Splurge

I met with the Enz salesman today and let him sell me 6 new nozzles. Cha ching.
    First 3 on left are 3/8
    1 forward 5-6 forward
    Chisel 4 forward 6 back
    Rotating,, 2 90degree 2 45 degree forward 3 back
    2nd 3
    1 forward 6 back penetrator
    A roto drill 1 forward 6 back (it has that small circular spray like a roto jet out the front)
    And the last one (sorry Rick) an hrv forward radial (rotating) 4 forward 45degree with 3 back for flushing scale forward from house to main.
    I sent that 7 forward flusher back for a refund.

The 2nd picture is the case they threw in (how nice huh) with my chain flail and the 1/2 inch chisel.
    So add these with my 3/8 and 1/2 warthog gives me just about all I need.
    All those new nozzles have ceramic inserts and are guaranteed for 5 years before needing replacements.
    The 3/8 chisel back thrusters was the only one with drilled jets.
    Or do I need another nozzle? And if so which one? I'm sorry, I don't like the root ranger, it's to volital.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by theplungerman; 12-07-2013, 12:56 AM.

Re: Nozzel Splurge

cha ching , no kidding. glad to see you returned that 7 forward nozzle. seemed to be a better paper weight than a jetter nozzle.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I tested my nozzels for gpm and the psi at the jetters gauge. I realize I'm not going to get full psi at end of line. I would welcome any and all comments. Like rejet inserts to smaller or bigger, or good enough, not good enough,, stuff like that.
      My engine has a governor, she won't go higher than 2500 ish rpm, gauge says up to 4000k. So the stated readings of psi are those that are reached at or below 2500
      My goal was to get at and not go above 4kpsi, or throttled up as high as possible when 4k couldn't be reached.
      Some nozzles reached 4k psi easily, some barely made it, and some didn't. Again the psi readings are at jetter pump gauge.
      I know some gpm readings seem to be to exact but did that for knowledge of um whatever, lol.
      1/2 inch hrv forward. @4000 psi. 15 gpm
      1/2 root drill. @3200 psi. 18.75 gpm
      1/2 all purpose 6r. @3350 psi. 19.5 gpm
      1/2 warthog. @4000 psi. 14.5 gpm
      1/2 chisel. @3000 psi. 19 gpm

These readings are through first 500ft 1/2 to a 150ft 3/8
      3/8. Rotating 2@ 90 degree 2@45degree. Got to 4000 easy. 8gpm
      3/8 chisel. 4000psi (reached @ 1700 rpm) 10gpm
      3/8 1f6r. 4000psi (reached 2200 rpm) 15gpm (this is correct,, I thought 3/8 hose was 12gpm max)
      3/8 warthog 4000psi (reached 2000 rpm) 10gpm
      Attached Files

Comment

Nice testing. I rarely run my 3/8" nozzles with anything more than a 100' 3/8" jumper hose and 100' jet hose. If need be I couple them together.
        I would give these test specs back to you salesman and have them rejet the nozzles. Especially the 3/8" ones. But redo the test with less hose. I doubt you like to reel off 1/2" hose for your 3/8" nozzles.

Install a quick disconnect at your hose swivel so you can swap hose reels as needed.

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Was there a pressure gauge at the nozzle or are you giving us the pressure at the pump?
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks Rick. I don't mind reeling off the 1/2. I have a remote for the reel. Easier to roll up that way then bending down and rolling up jumper hoses. For me anyway.
            You said especially the 3/8. Makes sense. But the 1/2 too? I'm getting the gpm, but to me falling to short of the psi, since psi is what cuts roots, but its the gpm that's costs. I don't expect perfect numbers.

Do you think it's possible if on my 1/2 nozzels I go smaller inserts I'll have what I got going with the 3/8 nozzels. In that I'm getting psi easily but falling way to short of gpm?

Do you think I should expect results from the 1/2 too or is it the nature of the beast thing? Thanks
            Last edited by theplungerman; 12-10-2013, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Your 1/2" nozzles need smaller jets to bring up the psi too. Will help with pulling power and potentially less pump and engine rpms. Give them your results and let them size them based on your real field numbers.

Did they size them or just give you stuff they had on board?

Rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                Was there a pressure gauge at the nozzle or are you giving us the pressure at the pump?
                Just at the pump. For now I am only concerned about getting proper psi at least at the pump. I'll do a field test at nozzel later on down the road. A side note, warthogs figures say going through 500 ft 1/2 to 150 3/8 drops for a 3/8 warthog isn't enough to worry about going thru so much 1/2 hose.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  Your 1/2" nozzles need smaller jets to bring up the psi too. Will help with pulling power and potentially less pump and engine rpms. Give them your results and let them size them based on your real field numbers.

Did they size them or just give you stuff they had on board?

Rick.
                  What they had on board, which was a determining factor in motivating me to test as I wondered how well they would perform.
                  I understand the 3/8 nozzel suggestion and what the test says. Now the 1/2 inch is low on psi and at or above my rated 18gpm, is it possible their next size down for proper psi takes me to my current 3/8 nozzel scenario or should a high end nozzel like enz be able to get me pretty much dialed in. I don't want to ask for something that isn't attainable but do want my highest performance the nozzels offer.

Comment

15 gpm through 150' of 3/8 has a pressure drop of 1350 psi and another 1100 psi of pressure loss for the 500' of 1/2"

go down to 10 gpm and you're at 500 psi for the 1/2" and 650 psi for the 3/8". That extra 5gpm is costing you almost 1300 psi at the nozzle.
                    Last edited by gear junkie; 12-10-2013, 04:45 PM.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                      15 gpm through 150' of 3/8 has a pressure drop of 1350 psi and another 1100 psi of pressure loss for the 500' of 1/2"

go down to 10 gpm and you're at 500 psi for the 1/2" and 650 psi for the 3/8". That extra 5gpm is costing you almost 1300 psi at the nozzle.
                      Wow that's substantial, Where can I get that info on pressure loss?
                      Then with those figures i should use my jumper hose for max psi.
                      I made the decision to use my 500 1/2 instead of 100 1/2 jumper based on the info from warthog. they ask for machine, me 18gpm 4k psi, and sent me said info. they knowing what the machine will do. So I'm thinking no big deal. but what you say is if I'm pushing 15 it is,,,, but i thought you could only get 12 through a 3/8, but on 1 nozzle test i did get 15, then two 10gpm and one 8gpm.
                      So I guess i would have to know each nozzles performance to base my hose choice for max performance or whether it will make that big of deal as my pics from stoneage suggests.
                      Thanks
                      Attached Files

Comment

Just curious....how did you measure your gpm? Your question about pressure is why I have a pressure gauge at the pump and nozzle. You'll see real quick what the issue is. If it was my equipment, I'd build a nozzle tester(mentioned them in the past) and go off orifice size and not gpm. Because your jetter is so big, you'll need 2 or 3 nozzles to get what your jetter nozzles you should be drilled for. This will also allow you to measure pressure at the nozzle and go for a good compromise between gpm and pressure.
                        Last edited by gear junkie; 12-10-2013, 09:55 PM.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I had a 20 gallon trash can to start with.
                          I filled a 5 gallon bucket and marked in it, 5 gallon increments.
                          With Max psi or as high as 2500rpm got me,,, And full flow going through I shoved the 20 gallon can under the pipe and timed off 60 seconds.

Comment

those ceramic nozzles should come in a variety of drill sizes. if need be have them come out to you with an orifice kit and start tweaking the nozzle based on your test. should be pretty simple based on the psi. and rpm range. these inserts last a long time with clean water. so a tad undersized, will eventually wear a bit larger.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick,
                              On your diesel re rpm where do you like to hit your 4kpsi on 1/2 nozzels.
                              Now what if the nozzel had 4 jets or 10 jets. Don't matter right?
                              Thanks again for the wisdom. I appreciate it it very much

Comment

Working...
                              X