Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ridgid type sectional cable spring button froze up.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid type sectional cable spring button froze up.

If this occurs and wd 40 along wth sharp raps on the side of the connector will not free the button,Try this------find a way to tie the cable end vertically,then apply lighter fluid to connector button,follow with wd-40 or other oil,I like to aslo use 2 cycle oil.Wait a few minutes,rap the side of connector with pliers,try to depress button,if no go, reapply and try again .For buttons that have been froze for a long time you might have to reapply for several days in a row and let it soak in.This method while slow,has saved me many times from buying new cables.Hope this comes in handy for someone,

P.S. What causes lighter fluid to work so well on rust frozen connections,I do not know.Yet it works and works well.

Re: Ridgid type sectional cable spring button froze up.

There is a product called Pipe Break, best penetrating oil I ever used. Spray it on wait a few minutes and most cases the parts unscrew or move as if they were never frozen. As for the buttons, I always spray WD-40 on all my cables after each use, making sure I get the buttons. Never had one freeze up on me ever since I been doing this.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
      There is a product called Pipe Break, best penetrating oil I ever used. Spray it on wait a few minutes and most cases the parts unscrew or move as if they were never frozen. As for the buttons, I always spray WD-40 on all my cables after each use, making sure I get the buttons. Never had one freeze up on me ever since I been doing this.
      Where do you purchase this Pipe Break ? I try to aslo spray after each use. I have purchased used machines/cables thathave the connecting buttons frozen,they were freed by this method.Some times,I get the feeling that small things like this posting,will give some tradesman/women who might be despairing due to monies owed/not received a little breating room for now, instead of just having to purchase new right away.

I know from reading you postr, I have learned several tips,including having led me to make a special trip to N. Ravenswood,to meet Marvin and Kirk .Again,many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by red1234 View Post
        Where do you purchase this Pipe Break ? I try to aslo spray after each use. I have purchased used machines/cables thathave the connecting buttons frozen,they were freed by this method.Some times,I get the feeling that small things like this posting,will give some tradesman/women who might be despairing due to monies owed/not received a little breating room for now, instead of just having to purchase new right away.

I know from reading you postr, I have learned several tips,including having led me to make a special trip to N. Ravenswood,to meet Marvin and Kirk .Again,many thanks.
        Most plumbing supply houses around here have it. This is the only online reseller I can find.

Industrial Lubricants | Household Lubricants | Silicone Free Lubricants | Silicone Lubricants

Slipit Industries, Inc.

Comment

Only on the 5/8" cables have I had the button freeze up. Most likely due to a smaller weaker spring.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            Only on the 5/8" cables have I had the button freeze up. Most likely due to a smaller weaker spring.

Rick.
            The 5/8 cable tend to get some build up behind the button. I found if I make sure its clean inside the cable behind the connector they start to move freely.

Comment

sometimes the heat of a propane torch works too. heat the cable itself, not the pin.
              ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Has anybody tried 50/50 trans fluid and toluene/solvent? Best I have found. I will check out that link Ron.

Comment

I posted about the trans oil and laquer thinner about a year ago. It was better than anything out there.

Rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

You can always replace the end the 1 1/4 ends are different for the c-11 and the c 14 and c12 cables c-11 are 60690 and the hd are 60695 . And they are in stock along with pipe break marvin talk to kirk or shane im in florida

Comment

Marvin, you are missing the nice cool weather. Thanks for letting us know you carry Pipe Break.

Comment

Working...
                      X