drill & eel set up?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drill & eel set up?

Ok ive been hearing alot lately about this drill and eel set up.What gives? Dont mean to sound slow or anything lol.Can u actually use a hole hawg extreem and eel cables as a rodder? And if so can one of the fellas post a video or link because I am in utter freaking amazement! !! I ha ve 150'of 1 1/4" spiral cable (I think its 1 1/4"). All i'd have to buy would be the eel /drill adapter and some leaders? I already have the hole hawg,i got rid of my model c last year but I had 300' of cable but something told me to keep 150'.

Re: drill & eel set up?

And how is it compared to the model c , any other advantages rather than the obvious space saving and easy access ability?

Comment

I use my timberwolf with 10' sections of general innercore 1.25" cable. Made my own drill adapter from a cable connector and grade 5 bolt. Even made a ridgid to general adapter.

Now if I wanted to run 15' sections, I could run ridgid cable, but that's a bit long if the hard stoppage is only a few feet in from the next section and you have lots of cable sticking out. That's where my 4' section comes in. I have 2, 4' sections to help bridge the 10' gap when I hit a hard nasty spot.

Keep your cables slack free like the model c or general 88 machine. Wear proper gloves. For me it's welding gloves. Once you get a good feel of this method and know the feel and sounds of your drill, you'll have less fear and more respect for what can potentially put you in the hospital or 6' under

The drill can be a lifesaver when properly used. Or it can be a school of hard knocks if not properly used.

Use at your own risk

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Outstanding! !!! Would u still need the model c ? Or would the drill do its thing

Comment

Have used my drill evertime except twice. That's hundreds of times.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I have 8' sections and deal with 2 sections at once unless I'm actually in the stoppage. I wear medical gloves during operation as my hands don't touch the cable.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by gear junkie; 12-08-2013, 11:26 AM.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I remember hearing horror stories about sngle drills and hole hawgs grabbing knots in wood or a nail/screw does it have the same effect when it hitsthe stopstoppage

Comment

Originally posted by sewermonster85 View Post
                Ok ive been hearing alot lately about this drill and eel set up.What gives? Dont mean to sound slow or anything lol.Can u actually use a hole hawg extreem and eel cables as a rodder? And if so can one of the fellas post a video or link because I am in utter freaking amazement! !! I ha ve 150'of 1 1/4" spiral cable (I think its 1 1/4"). All i'd have to buy would be the eel /drill adapter and some leaders? I already have the hole hawg,i got rid of my model c last year but I had 300' of cable but something told me to keep 150'.
                I'm on the fence about this. On one side I think using a hole hang with large diameter short sections of cable is heroic, studly etc. On the other idiotic, dangerous and way beyond the call of duty.
                I can see if your trying to save the world, a city even. But one drain, no way.

Comment

Robert you still snake or are you just full time jetting now? It looks intimidating and dangerous but is easy when you get the hang of it. Feels like a long time while doing the job but when you look at the clock, you're surprised how quick the job went
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Its dangerous without training and a good feel. But so is a drum machine that you let torque up.

The more cable you have in the drain, the more reaction time to torque buildup. Remember that 1.25" cable will absorb lots of built up torque in the massive spring. Overdoing it can release that torque all at once with great force.

Rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

I've always been a drum guy the sectinal thing just isint my cup of tea no disrespect the plumbers that use it I just find it more convenient to use the drums I love my Spartan 1065but the thought of having a machine that can gain access 2 hard to reach places seems intriguing to me

Comment

Every week now I get a call from a Rooterman or a h/o who wants A drill ADP. And 11/4 " sectional cable from us the drain people i can understand
                        but h/o noway but they are seeing their plumbers doing and think they can save bucks ?
                        JERRYMAC
                        E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                        CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                        FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                        SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          Robert you still snake or are you just full time jetting now? It looks intimidating and dangerous but is easy when you get the hang of it. Feels like a long time while doing the job but when you look at the clock, you're surprised how quick the job went
                          Heck no I snake. Like I tell everyone I didn't get the jetter to fleece customers, BUT, LOL, Another plumber called me about a customer of his who's restaurant 4 inch main was clogged. It was Fri 445, access was in basement, (rare around here) and the wife was expecting me home by 6ish for a get together with friends. I told the owner I'm not going to try and cable the line. I don't want to spend an hour or so then having to sell you a jett job. Let's do this right and get it over with. And since the basement was already sorta flooded I didn't feel bad adding a little more. It was a concrete floor. Whats a little greasy gunky black water between friends?

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            Its dangerous without training and a good feel. But so is a drum machine that you let torque up.

The more cable you have in the drain, the more reaction time to torque buildup. Remember that 1.25" cable will absorb lots of built up torque in the massive spring. Overdoing it can release that torque all at once with great force.

Rick.
                            I'm hip to the torque thing,,, it took a few years to get used to it. I've tweaked up my fair share of cables in the beginning, but that pic of Ben holding a drill, it doesn't just look but is dangerous, and like I said, beyond the call of duty.
                            Without the jetter what I did with massive root blockages I couldn't get with my drum was restore flow with a little poke, treat with rootx and come back in a few weeks. I was always able to then get through. Or of course dig up. But in no way at 54 am I going to try your drill method. To set in my ways. Also threatening a severe injury (within certain parameters) should be more on our minds and dictate safer policy. This is my humble opinion.

Comment

Working...
                            X