Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highway Robbery....

Today I got called a thief right my face

Rodded a main line and kitchen sink, charged him $140.00.

Some people really pizz me off...............

Re: Highway Robbery....

That is way underpriced imo. You have a business to run. I think he got a heck of deal.
    How long were you there?

Comment

I hope they paid you in cash dont wanna get a bounced checkI don't understand people they think that stuff doesn't cost money I charge a minimum of 165 Teo rod mains225 with the camera and kitchen sink lines r 125 and that's cheap compared to other prices companies are charging forget them just know not to do any more work for them that's what I do with those kind of people

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbducky View Post
        That is way underpriced imo. You have a business to run. I think he got a heck of deal.
        How long were you there?

I'm doing just fine. I was there around 1 1/4 hours.

Comment

Are you other guys experiencing chit like this ? Last year I had a woman chew my azz the whole while she was writing the check and them some, all over a $65.00 toilet auger job

Comment

You're not giving the customer any sense of value to your service. I charge way more (because I know my operating costs) but my customers are happier in the end.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
              I'm doing just fine. I was there around 1 1/4 hours.
              I am not questioning or suggesting anything.

People need to realize that there are cost involved to run a business.

Comment

You need to be pretty thick skinned to be in business today. People in general today don't feel that they are getting their moneys worth for what things cost. In many cases they are justified which then makes legitimate charges seem unfair also. There's not much you can do about that kind of abuse as it will happen now and again.
                ================================================== ====
                ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Had a guy price shop via the phone and continue to get estimates. He ended up getting a rooter company to do it for 5 dollars more than my quote.

Comment

Had a guy price shop via the phone and continue to get estimates. He ended up getting a rooter company to do it for 5 dollars more than my quote.

So what was he looking for if not best price ? I get price shoppers all the time over half of which I never hear from again.

Comment

For some people it doesn't matter what you charge. $140, $1,400 or even $14 dollars...she still would b!tch about it

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                        For some people it doesn't matter what you charge. $140, $1,400 or even $14 dollars...she still would b!tch about it
                        99% of the time, this is all it is.

Comment

This is a very hard business to be in.We have to separate our selves from the competition. Whats going to make a customer choose us (you, me) over the countless other companies that are advertised. Most people will call the local guy , some cant think outside the box , and call the franchise company.I dont mean any disrespect if any of the guys on here are with them.I guess what it comes down to is price.We have foreigners , scabs and un properly educated or trained competition ready to cut your throat for a job.So we have to take that into consideration when we bid.To be licesed , bonded, and insured with state of the art equipment, and a good looking truck doesnt come cheap.But we have to be near those peoples prices to be competitive. It makes me sick.We damn near give our trade away for peanuts. While the flyer by nighter drives his p.o.s truck , old basket rodder and a hand crank spinner , no license, no bond , no insurance, asks to use your flashlight, your ladder and ryobi tools and charges close to us , its unfair . barely holding on by the seam of his pants.I cant stand that stuff.Uncle sam but rapes me every yearI.But I charge too much.Im less than every shop I know of .We have to work longer and harder to meet our needs because joe schmo down the road gots a pick up with a piece of pipe hanging of the tail gate and rodder that charges 50 $ to rod .

Comment

People need to realize that there are cost involved to run a business.
                            I start telling them all my costs involved. Phone, gas, tools, cloths, van, van insurance, business ins, health insurance, retirement plan, vacation, make enough to afford a vacation , I ask, do u think I deserve a vacation. I ask them how much do u think I should make? I keep going on until they turn and chill. I tell them I was in college, got into Plumbing and decided to stay cuz the pay is good. You Mr ms h/o Plumbing can sometimes be a very disgusting and hard at times. And just because...... If I'm in the mood and they are complaining I usually come up with enough to make them understand. I then accomplish 2 things, they understand why we charge what we do and they call me back again cuz they understand. You'd be surprised, alot of people don't understand what it takes to run a business.

Comment

Come up with 5 to 6 ways to solve the problem. All from a band aid repair with a warranty to match to the most permanent solution with a warranty to match. Price them accordingly and let them choose what level of service they want instead of choosing for them and watch the price complaints disappear. Of course this can only be done if you are flat rate pricing.
                              Last edited by Sierra2000; 12-14-2013, 03:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X