X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vent Issue.....

OK just called the home owner and the problem still remains. His father passed a few days ago and he hasn't had much time to deal with the issue as he is out of town.

He did tell me he went on the roof and looked down the vent. What he seen was an ice buildup at around 8' down which would put it right at the 90 I seen when I was looking in his attic. He said he poured some ice melt & ant freeze down the vent.

Told him to call me when he figures it out or if he needs any help.

Comment

Another note, I was wrong on what I said about the toilet bubbles. What is happening is that when the basement toilet is flushed it makes the 1st floor ones bubble.

Comment

In the past, there were multiple penetrations and no-one cared where they were. At least here anyways. (South)

Could have even been on the front side of the roof. Much more cable friendly.

Now, they are considered an "eyesore". So they are ran out the back with multiple turns dodging roof systems. And often they get tied together to avoid multiple penetrations (decrease chance of roof leak) and/or to decrease pipe & fitting use.

You can almost forget cabling from the roof.

Open that septic, and I'll bet you find the problem.

Comment

Walk in basement? I mean, can you walk in straight from the outside? No steps?

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
            In the past, there were multiple penetrations and no-one cared where they were. At least here anyways. (South)

Could have even been on the front side of the roof. Much more cable friendly.

Now, they are considered an "eyesore". So they are ran out the back with multiple turns dodging roof systems. And often they get tied together to avoid multiple penetrations (decrease chance of roof leak) and/or to decrease pipe & fitting use.

Open that septic, and I'll bet you find the problem.

I also told him what you are thinking. When I was there the line was echoing when I rapped the cleanout plug on it.

Comment

Walk in basement? I mean, can you walk in straight from the outside? No steps?

No, ranch home only from inside.

Comment

Well, with that scenario, the bottom bathroom could be on a pump you don't know about.

You say you have an accessible cleanout. I'd put your camera in the cleanout, making sure it is running to the septic, and see if you hit water before the tank.

Comment

Well, with that scenario, the bottom bathroom could be on a pump you don't know about.

You say you have an accessible cleanout. I'd put your camera in the cleanout, making sure it is running to the septic, and see if you hit water before the tank.

Definitely not on a pump I watched the water flow by when flushed.

Will wait for his call.

In the mean time I love discussion..............

Comment

The reason I was asking about the basement layout is that almost all septics are setup to be shallow. To take advantage of evaporation more.

So the tank and lines cannot be 6' deep. Depending on the lay of the land, you also can't have a basement bathroom unless you pump up to that gravity level of the tank system.

Lines can also be frozen. On the outlet side of the tank system. So it would be like having an inaccessible blockage that you knew nothing about.

Finally, you could have the "doom scenario" of the tank full, and/or lines frozen, and/or vent blockage causing positive pressure in the system leaving you with a real headscratcher.

Comment

The reason I was asking about the basement layout is that almost all septics are setup to be shallow. To take advantage of evaporation more.

So the tank and lines cannot be 6' deep. Depending on the lay of the land, you also can't have a basement bathroom unless you pump up to that gravity level of the tank system.

Lines can also be frozen. On the outlet side of the tank system. So it would be like having an inaccessible blockage that you knew nothing about.

Finally, you could have the "doom scenario" of the tank full, and/or lines frozen, and/or vent blockage causing positive pressure in the system leaving you with a real headscratcher.
                      I would think if the tank was the issue there would be back up in the basement toilet by now. I also think the line to the tank would have to be deep enough for the basement bathroom that frost(frozen) wouldnt be the issue.

Ive only found one 3" pvc shut from frost and that was along time ago. Pulled it into the attic, painted it black and never went back. The basement toilet should be pulling the water out of the upstairs toilet if the main vent was frosted shut and not bubbling from a positive pressure problem. I guess that would depend on how close the toilet in the basement is to the main line going to the tank.

If the toilet in basement is close to the main line it would siphon the upstairs. If its on the other side of the house from the main it would be positive and bubble up. If that makes sense.

All these are shots in the dark
                      26+6=1

Comment

The three toilets could tie in above the basement and be clogged or restricted there.

Could be anything. If we throw 100 guesses at it, one of us is bound to be right.

Comment

Any new construction plumber who's done an air test should be figuring this out, instantly.

What happens when you put that long test ball before the cleanout? Regardless of water passing by slowly... it there's an obstruction it's air locking the system.

Regardless of vertical distance on bath groups. Pull the first floor toilet, make your first pass and most likely all three will clear, flush.
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

The three toilets could tie in above the basement and be clogged or restricted there.

Could be anything. If we throw 100 guesses at it, one of us is bound to be right.

2 toilets shared a stack and one had it's own. Opposite ends of house. I pulled the plugs on the stacks they were open as I could hear the water flowing down stream.

Comment

Did the water flow 'once' you opened those caps...
                              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
                                Did the water flow 'once' you opened those caps...

Didn't try flushing with the soil stack plugs off.

Comment

Working...
                                X