Vent Issue.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vent Issue.....

If he saw ice in the vent and it was enough to plugged the vent up, that is the trouble. like Dunbar said if the cleanout was pulled you should have had no trouble. I pull a trap to tests the vent also.

I had a friend on septic who always had trouble with the toilets, I made him put in new toilets he never told me it didn't fix the trouble, 3 flushes and the toilets would back up and drain slow, when he rented his house the tentents complained of the toilets gurgleing at night. I thought a vent may be plugged, heck it was septic and only AAv's venting. I ran a hard vent and all was good. other than that it's hardly ever a vent I mean virtually never
    Last edited by saysflushable; 12-17-2013, 08:23 PM.

Comment

I had a similar situation like this one time. Toilet would not flush right at all.I thought it was the septic. Needles to say when I opened the clean out the water flowed right past the clean out.So I put the cap back on and ran the sinks, showers and laundry, all was ok .So I thought toilet auger or not enogh water or jet holes cloggeg.Nope .It was a head scratcher.It was already 11 at night already worked 14 hrs dead a $$ tired.What I didnt realize was 5he only way the toilet flushed is when the clean out cap was off.Vent was cloggeg with birds nests aand I mean alot , rodded up t he vent all was well afterwords.

Comment

Originally posted by sewermonster85 View Post
        I had a similar situation like this one time. Toilet would not flush right at all.I thought it was the septic. Needles to say when I opened the clean out the water flowed right past the clean out.So I put the cap back on and ran the sinks, showers and laundry, all was ok .So I thought toilet auger or not enogh water or jet holes cloggeg.Nope .It was a head scratcher.It was already 11 at night already worked 14 hrs dead a $$ tired.What I didnt realize was 5he only way the toilet flushed is when the clean out cap was off.Vent was cloggeg with birds nests aand I mean alot , rodded up t he vent all was well afterwords.
        You just earned " THE SMART MONKEY AWARD " You don't give up !!
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong. The purpose of the vent is to protect the trap seal. A toilet is a nothing more than a s- trap and usually siphons itself almost empty. The flow of water from the tube on the fill valve replaces the trap seal. Therefore this is not a venting problem. If it is not a venting problem, yet affects all three toilets on the ground floor. I would look for a downstream obstruction.
          Last edited by plumberinlaw; 12-18-2013, 01:09 PM.

Comment

I'm on the side of the fence that says it's not a vent issue at all.

Not that it CAN'T happen but just have never SEEN it happen.....

Comment

Its the vent, $50 Bucks
              26+6=1

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                I'm on the side of the fence that says it's not a vent issue at all.

Not that it CAN'T happen but just have never SEEN it happen.....
                same here
                i recently replaced all the cast iron with pvc and installed extra vents
                shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

All those that say not a vent must not deal with septic tanks. when you add 1.6 gallons of water in a septic the air needs someplace to go. that won't happen on city sewer. I would camera the lines if the lines are good I would use the system until the flushing issue happens then I would pull a trap and see if that fixes the trouble.

Comment

On my septic system if the baffle is plugged, especially the outlet baffle, slow toilets and gurgling are the result. so, it may be a venting issue caused by a problem with the septic tank. Most tank inlets here do not have any kind of venting.
                    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                      All those that say not a vent must not deal with septic tanks. when you add 1.6 gallons of water in a septic the air needs someplace to go. that won't happen on city sewer. I would camera the lines if the lines are good I would use the system until the flushing issue happens then I would pull a trap and see if that fixes the trouble.
                      Interesting concept, The closest I get to septic is when they have been abandoned and go all the way from the back of the house to the city main in the street

Comment

Or here is a new thought it could be all 3 toilets have there own stoppages !

I have run into this before
                        JERRYMAC
                        E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                        CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                        FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                        SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

I meant I got to the job at 11 my bad..I wasnt there all day.it was already late once I got there and I guess being sleep deprived I couldnt think right.I really need to start being more descriptive on my posts, dont want people to think im an idiot. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                            You just earned " THE SMART MONKEY AWARD " You don't give up !!
                            sorry buddy maybe I didn't put it correctly I got there at 11 o'clock at night and just maybe from working so late my head was in the right place it only took me about an hour fix it once I figured outthe problem

Comment

Working...
                            X