Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vent Issue.....

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Vent Issue.....

    Had a job last week where the 3 1st floor toilets all of a sudden were not flushing (about one out of 4 times it would go down normal) in a 10 year old ranch style house with basement. When flushed they would swirl, fill to the top and then slowly go down after a few/several minutes. The toilet in the basement worked fine all the time.

    I'm like.... WTH.......... ???

    Checked the main basement floor cleanout and all vertical stack cleanouts which were clear. All other drains were going down fine. I went outside thinking this house would have multiple vents but to my surprise it only had one 3" vent coming out on the far side of the roof.

    I'm thinking it had to be a venting issue so I called one of my plumber friends for advise and he said the vent probably frosted up shut in the cold weather. It was really cold that week with high temps topping out around 10.

    Never seen anything like this before, have any of you......... ???

    What's up with only having one vent on a modern 1,600 square foot home ???

  • #2
    Re: Vent Issue.....

    My house is 1100 sq ft. It had a total of one 1.25 inch pvc vent. It always frosted over and caused gurgling and smells. Now it has one 1.25", one 2", and one 3" vent. If they dont frost over they will get buried by 4 feet of snow. It's a no win situation sometimes.
    ~~

    ... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Vent Issue.....

      It might have all the vents running to the one going out the roof, not uncommon at all. or it may have only 1 hard vent and a bunch of aav's venting the rest of the house. any how in our area we have to have 3 inch pipe 1 foot above and below the roof to keep it from frosting shut from the condensation freezing.

      I never saw one freeze up but it sure could happen.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Vent Issue.....

        Less penetrations, less chance for a leak from the roof. I always try to only take one out.


        If you pulled a trap off the lav, did the toilets flush normal?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Vent Issue.....

          Originally posted by Plumbducky View Post
          Less penetrations, less chance for a leak from the roof. I always try to only take one out.


          If you pulled a trap off the lav, did the toilets flush normal?

          Will have to remember that.

          Just seemed like that size of home with all the plumbing/bathrooms should have had another vent. What do I know I'm just a drain cleaner

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Vent Issue.....

            Different area's must have different setups, how are all these guys down south and out west rodding sinks through a vent ?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Vent Issue.....

              Wasn't there a debate here awhile back about toilets not needing a vent to properly flush ?

              Why were the 3 1st floor toilets not working when the one in the basement was ?

              I suppose it all depends on the layout.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Vent Issue.....

                Not the vent.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Vent Issue.....

                  Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                  Not the vent.


                  What would stop 3 toilets from flushing all within the same day ?

                  They also would not flush when I poured a bucket of water in them. Yes I ran a cable through them too.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Vent Issue.....

                    City sewer or septic?

                    Cast iron or plastic?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Vent Issue.....

                      Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                      City sewer or septic?

                      Cast iron or plastic?

                      Plastic on a septic tank. Home was around 10 years old.

                      Sorry but I forgot to ad that when one toilet did flush it made the others bubble, even in the basement toilet.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Vent Issue.....

                        Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                        Plastic on a septic tank. Home was around 10 years old.

                        Sorry but I forgot to ad that when one toilet did flush it made the others bubble, even in the basement toilet.
                        That sounds suspiciously septic tank like. That bottom toilet is what's throwing you. It could be tied in some other way.

                        Check the plumbing layout good. They're probably gonna' call you back on this one.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Vent Issue.....

                          Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                          That sounds suspiciously septic tank like. That bottom toilet is what's throwing you. It could be tied in some other way.

                          Check the plumbing layout good. They're probably gonna' call you back on this one.


                          The basement bathroom was around 15' straight back from where the main cleanout was located.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Vent Issue.....

                            Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                            Wasn't there a debate here awhile back about toilets not needing a vent to properly flush ?

                            Why were the 3 1st floor toilets not working when the one in the basement was ?

                            I suppose it all depends on the layout.

                            I remember the debate on the vent for a toilet.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Vent Issue.....

                              Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                              Different area's must have different setups, how are all these guys down south and out west rodding sinks through a vent ?


                              I suppose you could have a vent strictly for the kitchen and a separate vent for each bathroom going out the roof.
                              Just not the way I was taught.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X