Spartan 100 or ridgid 3800?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spartan 100 or ridgid 3800?

Hi everyone I'm new to posting on forums but I've been in the drain cleaning buisness now for pretty much my whole adult life. Back in my old Roto rooter days I used a ridgid 3800 with three drums for it one for 1/4 one for 3/8 and one for 1/2 inch cable and that worked great for inside lines up to 3 inch in diameter. And I used the ridgid 7500 for main lines. I started my own business last year and it's been going great I use a spartan 1065 for main lines and a general mini rooter with three drums for small inside stuff same cable sizes as listed above. We'll I hate the mini rooter it seams to have no balls at all and it spines much slower then the ridgid 3800 so I'm now at the point that I want to upgrade to a better machine, personally I love spartan stuff and by far I think spartan has the best customer service. I'm thinking about the spartan 100 with 3 drums pretty much the same set up as what I'm using. Is this a good machine? Is it as powerful as the ridgid? Is the drum for there 5/16 cable to big for 5/16 cable (it looks it)? What I'm running now, a general gen-eye pod for my camera, as for snakes a spartan 1065 with 11/16 cable a general mini rooter with three different drums / cables 1/4 1/2 and 3/8, and I use a spartan 727 as my Jetter. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Re: Spartan 100 or ridgid 3800?

Also what are you guys running on your vans/trucks for equipment?

Comment

I am partial to a Spartan 300 with a adapter to run 100 drums, I carry Spartan 100,300,and 1065 with an eel model s for sinks and tubs

Comment

Have you used the 5/16 drum on the spartan 100 it looks a little big? And if so how's it work?

Comment

All the spartan 100 drums are the same size the only difference id the clutch setting and they are not very accurate on how they are set. The drum is too large for 1/4" and even 5/16 can loop in the drum because its too large. For 1/2" the spartan will take 75' but its tight and sometimes you have troule with the last 10'. The 3800 small drum will take 1/4' up to 50' or 5/16 about 35' and the large will take 1/2' x 90' easily marvin

Comment

Spartan 100 with 75' of 13/32". Smaller cables get spun in my K-45AF's.

Comment

Thanks for the input it's looking like the ridgid 3800 is gonna be the rite machine for me.

Comment

I vote K-50 with drum attachments. That is what I use (1/4", 5/16" and 3/8" up to 35') plus you can run the 5/8 cable for really long lines.

Never let me down yet.

Comment

k-50, k-1500sp, k-50 with 3/8 drum attachment (never used the drum)
                  ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Drain dude View Post
                    Thanks for the input it's looking like the ridgid 3800 is gonna be the rite machine for me.
                    Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                    I vote K-50 with drum attachments. That is what I use (1/4", 5/16" and 3/8" up to 35') plus you can run the 5/8 cable for really long lines.

Never let me down yet.
                    I used to own a K3800. I didn't have the cart for it and carrying the 75' drum sucks. I had the auto feed and it made it front heavy....the back end would always pick up. Had the smaller drum and it sucked for smaller cable cause it would torque so fast and the foot print was so big, you couldn't get close to the c/o. I sold it when I bought my k50 and have NEVER regretted it. Also took my k39AF off the van and haven't regretted that either. K50 all the way
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I love spartan equipment.I don't use 1/4" cables at all.I use 5/1st on tubs and pedestals,3/8 on kitchen sinks and laundry tubs.For those all get the ridgid k45 ridgid pistol rods .I love them things.Mainlines get the 1065 with 3/4" cables .The spartan 100 is picky with cables.id only use what a $$ time said .

Comment

I have used and owned a Spartan 100, great machine. Never used the K3800, but buy the looks of it, it works the same way as the Spartan 100, but looks to be easier to carry. If I was to buy one of the other, I'd go K3800.
                        Will Rogers Plumbing
                        Moore, Oklahoma
                        (
                        405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                        http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Marv, are you back in Chicago for the cold and snow?

We always ran a 1065 with 3/4" cable, Spartan 100 with two drums one has 13/32" other 1/2" and for the smaller lines a pistol rod, I have added a K-40 to my truck to replace the pistol rod. I really like it a lot. I also put an Eel Model N with 75' of the 5/8 sectional cable in the drum. I use it a lot more than the 100. It works in 1 1/4" lines up to 3", and can easily go through an 1 1/2" trap. The Eel does have a different feel to feeding the cable in compared to the 100, so it takes a little time to learn it. Nice thing is the cables are in 5' sections, so if you trash the cable you only replace what is needed.
                          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                          Ron's Facebook
                          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
                            I have used and owned a Spartan 100, great machine. Never used the K3800, but buy the looks of it, it works the same way as the Spartan 100, but looks to be easier to carry. If I was to buy one of the other, I'd go K3800.

Who wants to carry a machine with 75' of 3/8" or 1/2" cable ?

Not me I'll roll with the wheels..........

Comment

I use the K-3800 with 3/8 cable 50ft long. Or I can change to the smaller drum with 5/16 cable 35ft long.
                              This has worked well for me.
                              You can buy a transport cart for this.
                              Roots beware of the C snake with shark teeth.

Comment

Working...
                              X