Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 hour kitchen sink

50 ft line, packed with grease and food. at least 8 90's

jet with the usual 35' hose, run out of hose.

put on 100' hose, get about 40' in, cant get any further, clog wont pop.

go to 3/8" cable. lose cutter.

put on a retriever. spring cable in reel. repeat. pull back and see I've lost the retriever.

Figure out I've been in reverse thus the spun off bits and sprung cable. effing idiot.

put on another retriever, get nothing, but do finally at least pop the clog.

camera, see my cutter on the way to finding a cleanout from the inside, locate and find it hiding behind the back of a vanity cabinet in a lower level bath.

open it and with camera and parts retriever and coathanger and little snake manage to get both the cutter and the retriever back.

Also get the plastic knockout plug that caused the whole problem in the first place. Lazy plumber's helper 20 years ago screwed me. at least I've got a valid reason to bill some of the time.

effing nightmare. can't believe I spun off two bits and sprung my cable twice before I figured out I was in reverse. Sometimes I'm staggeringly stupid.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: 5 hour kitchen sink

At least you figured it out before leaving the job.
    Roots beware of the C snake with shark teeth.

Comment

Happens to the best of us, especially when we're already exhausted.

Comment

Right on for the truth. I do dumb stuff too.
        I'm new at bbqing. We had 34 relatives over at out house for Christmas Eve and my first big test of cooking a large quantity of good meat. Well when I turn on the bbq it goes on high then to low. And since it's been a month plus I forgot that. So I cooked 7 tri tips on low. My wife was,, how come so long I'm thinking to much meat. So with 2 left on, 5 done, I'm cutting the 5th one. Go out to check the 2 last ones that were now cooking high heat,,, major grease fire, just blazing away, saved those barely. Everyone enjoyed the meat, and it was good. But because it took 1.5 hrs instead of 45 the mashed potatoes were stiffer, the green beans colder etc etc. Oh well.
        Thanks again for your honesty. I screw up from time to time in plumbing as well. I didn't tighten on my see sname skid and it came off. I had to push it to city and say good bye.

Comment

Chit happens................

Comment

Originally posted by theplungerman View Post
            Right on for the truth. I do dumb stuff too.
            I'm new at bbqing. We had 34 relatives over at out house for Christmas Eve and my first big test of cooking a large quantity of good meat. Well when I turn on the bbq it goes on high then to low. And since it's been a month plus I forgot that. So I cooked 7 tri tips on low. My wife was,, how come so long I'm thinking to much meat. So with 2 left on, 5 done, I'm cutting the 5th one. Go out to check the 2 last ones that were now cooking high heat,,, major grease fire, just blazing away, saved those barely. Everyone enjoyed the meat, and it was good. But because it took 1.5 hrs instead of 45 the mashed potatoes were stiffer, the green beans colder etc etc. Oh well.
            Thanks again for your honesty. I screw up from time to time in plumbing as well. I didn't tighten on my see sname skid and it came off. I had to push it to city and say good bye.
            Maybe one or two of you were wondering,, can't u see the size of the flame? Well no I can't,, there are - flavoriser bars - covering the flame,, difficult to see,, so I missed it. The record has been set straight.

Comment

Yup we've all been there. One time messed with a k39 for 2 hours trying to clear a kitchen drain....nada. Got my k50 out and was done in 5 minutes. I ended up billing 1 hour of time.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

It's called being HUMAN ! Don't beat Yerself up !
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

alex, why are you using cutters that unscrew in reverse? I use my cables in reverse 50% of the time and they are not designed to unscrew. are those Spartan screw on cutters?

Robert, you couldn't fit 3 more for dinner?

helped joeys brother with his new smoker and modifications. boy were those baby backs good. feasted on Christmas day.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                    Yup we've all been there. One time messed with a k39 for 2 hours trying to clear a kitchen drain....nada. Got my k50 out and was done in 5 minutes. I ended up billing 1 hour of time.
                    Happen to me last week .I rodder a main for an hour an a half , finally decided to check the city main an some beach, the darn thing was backed up.

Comment

Had 1 today I bailed out a buddy. He'd been there several hours on a new customers main. City relined the city main 3 weeks ago and now the house 6" lateral was plugged. More interesting was the city's lining contractor had left a 4" heavy duty spiral saw next to the cleanout along with a mini screwdriver with a a ridgid drum connector end. My buddy had been hung up around 60' and managed to stop at 68' coming back with a dulled new root saw on his 7/8" k60 cable. After several attempts and hours, he called me. Fortunatly being a sunday, it was only 5 minutes from the house. Took out my 1.25" timberwolf with ridgid 4"sharktooth cutter. Pushed in by hand the first 40' then motored it to 60' and cleared it in a couple minutes. He was excited, yet bummed that I got it pretty easily. Pulled back nothing, and reran to 78'.

Probably going to camera it next week to see if there's an issue with the new city liner. Makes no sence with the crew leaving a cutter next to her cleanout.

Rick.
                      Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 12-29-2013, 09:26 PM. Reason: spill chuck
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by sewermonster85 View Post
                        Happen to me last week .I rodder a main for an hour an a half , finally decided to check the city main an some beach, the darn thing was backed up.
                        This has only happened to me once, I'm getting absolutely no resistance, and with no water draining in house it was bubbling up. It was a no brainer.

Comment

Working...
                        X