Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jetting with Masks?

Originally posted by richinflorida View Post
    Wearing a respirator might have saved you from unpleasant odors on those jobs, I keep one on my truck for various purposes, but I don't think you got sick from jetting; especially that quickly. You mention OCD in your posts, and I watched your YOUtube videos. While I'm no shrink, I like when someone is hell bent on doing the best job possible and won't quit until that's accomplished. If doing a great job makes one obsessive and in need of psychiatric help, count me in, but understand that's the person I want working on my house. Two videos stuck out to me: one was the KEG micro cutter. Have you used that to descale CI yet? How is it in roots? Do you like it? Was it worth the$$$? I own a root rat; not sure if something's wrong with it, but it seems to have almost no torque to spin in cast. The second video was the descale with keg7 forward. Awesome job, awesome results, but I'm confused. You removed all that scale with a forward spray nozzle? I ask because that looks like the perfect job for the micro cutter. So, first you loosened or broke all the scale free with... nozzle X, then I'm wondering how you removed all that debris.. Did you pull it back with a flushing nozzle, a warthog, or did you keep pushing it forward into the city? I'm curious because I like to pull all that solid out of the pipe, not just have a pile of it at the city connection. A lot of questions you probably don't feel like answering now, no rush or urgency. Impressive before and after anyone could be proud of. Hope you feel better shortly(But if not, and things take a turn for the worst, will Rick be in your will for the new Mongoose? He's less than thrilled with the US jet unit)
    Thanks for the complement. I bought the micro mini cutter for roots. Concerning scale, I belive, in that video, it shows it has enough power to do it. I haven't used it for scale yet but sure it will work. If it doesn't get your money back. Kegs guarantee can't be beat.
    I descaled with the warthog and was left with that big mess.
    I found a keg retailer in kinda my area and bought and used the 7F, and used that the next day. It worked great. But could only push out aprox. 40 ft. (no thrusters). So it would only work with a push rod taped to it, for further out spots etc. So no bueno for the long run. Which led me to the Enz HRV forward. I also got a 3/8 rotator, 2 90 and 2 thrusters, sounder like a monster.
    The jetter goes to my wife, who knows to come here and ask for those interested?? Smile
    Last edited by theplungerman; 01-03-2014, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
      31Years sober for this Irishman ! No AA , Just quit ! Thank You Lord
      Right on, yes praise Him.

Comment

Robert, in all the years I've been jetting, over 20, I got sick just 1 time from it that I know. that was because I forgot to close my mouth on a tricky overhead jet job from an access panel. lost 20# in 2 weeks. needed to see a good friend of mine who's a gi dr. nothing like dropping your shorts for a friend to check you out. butt in the end, he cured me.

I don't get sick too often, probably due to all the germs I'm exposed too.

I've had pneumonia a couple times, but that was due to wearing myself out overseas for 10 days and bungy jumping into a cold river in winter with shorts and a t-shirt. that was 14 years ago.

you wore yourself out on that restaurant job last week and that was enough to bring your immunity down.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

That makes sense, and it was a big day. Butt I have big days here and there and don't come down with pneumonia, in fact first time in life.
          Butt I am 54 so maybe I was more susceptible as you say,,and caught the virus a day or two latter,,, butt I like to think I have at least 10 more kick butt years, my plumber is 10 years my senior and still kicks butt. I did get some nice comfortable affordable masks from granger. I used them to polish my toolboxes. So maybe on those,, you know it's going to be a stinky jet job I'll strap one on, just to be safe.
          Come to think of it, on Christmas eve, I had a major poop jet job, my guy was gagging as I was standing manly over and slightly in the light brown mush pond pushing in the jett hose for an easy clear. It was a regular who has been told for awhile he needed an extra good clearing. It was raining, I gave him a good price with some rootx. And 18 month guarantee. 7 days in the lungs then wallop?
          You see when we cable those jobs you pull cleanout let the poop goop settle, push in cable, then watch proudly as it goes back to where it belongs. Butt when we jett, we stir and bubble up, and those nasty bacteria-virus, become airborne, (more than they would vs cabling) So I was wondering,, Butt like you said 20 years and only got sick once.

Comment

Google fecal cloud. You're not so far off.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I ocd-ed, lol,, on a fecal cloud Google and came up with fecal blowback,, described as this,,,,
              Microscopic, particulate matter expelled from one's anus during flatuent activity, usually confined to one's underwear if such garments are in fact being worn, though its infinitesemal size can still disperse into the surrounding air regardless of the presence of protective garments thus landing on your peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
              Johnny ripped a huge fart when his girlfriend, Carmen, was talking on the phone and she did not realize that his fecal blowback landed in her Cesar salad.

Comment

Girls pay big money for eau de toilette aka toilet water.

I get paid big money for making it go away. But every now and then I come home with some of it. It doesn't always smell like roses, but it sure looks more green than brown.

Remember to smile after, not during unless you want to go on the toilet water diet.

Rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by theplungerman View Post
                  That makes sense, and it was a big day. Butt I have big days here and there and don't come down with pneumonia, in fact first time in life.
                  Butt I am 54 so maybe I was more susceptible as you say,,and caught the virus a day or two latter,,, butt I like to think I have at least 10 more kick butt years, my plumber is 10 years my senior and still kicks butt. I did get some nice comfortable affordable masks from granger. I used them to polish my toolboxes. So maybe on those,, you know it's going to be a stinky jet job I'll strap one on, just to be safe.
                  Come to think of it, on Christmas eve, I had a major poop jet job, my guy was gagging as I was standing manly over and slightly in the light brown mush pond pushing in the jett hose for an easy clear. It was a regular who has been told for awhile he needed an extra good clearing. It was raining, I gave him a good price with some rootx. And 18 month guarantee. 7 days in the lungs then wallop?
                  You see when we cable those jobs you pull cleanout let the poop goop settle, push in cable, then watch proudly as it goes back to where it belongs. Butt when we jett, we stir and bubble up, and those nasty bacteria-virus, become airborne, (more than they would vs cabling) So I was wondering,, Butt like you said 20 years and only got sick once.
                  I'll be 71 end of this month.
                  People don't believe My age. 2 Days ago I used My hot tar Kettle ,and hot mopped 2 plugs on My neighbor's roof. Up N down the ladder with 425 F. hot tar ! Work 6 days most weeks. I love ,love, love to work. That and a wonderful wife will keep You around! We also walk at night.
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    I'll be 71 end of this month.
                    People don't believe My age. 2 Days ago I used My hot tar Kettle ,and hot mopped 2 plugs on My neighbor's roof. Up N down the ladder with 425 F. hot tar ! Work 6 days most weeks. I love ,love, love to work. That and a wonderful wife will keep You around! We also walk at night.
                    Thanks and good for you. I see my guy still kicking butt at 65, and no way has a drop off occurred in the last 10 so I like my chances to 70 ish, I like to work, but wouldn't say love to 3 times, lol,. Thanks again, that inspires me.

Comment

You might have a valid point.
                      Originally posted by theplungerman View Post
                      In the last week I've done two jetting jobs. One an all day major grease push, the other, a quick poop push from the roof. Both were very stinky. The grease you know what that smells like,,, , the poop push,, , it smelled like rotten poop. The roof job was Tues late afternnoon
                      I came down with pneumonia Tues night, emergency room Wed. On antibiotics now, off work.
                      Pneumonia is caused by breathing in a virus of some sort. I don't know how I got this but I'm wondering if jetting without masks is stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by richinflorida View Post
                        Wearing a respirator might have saved you from unpleasant odors on those jobs, I keep one on my truck for various purposes, but I don't think you got sick from jetting; especially that quickly. You mention OCD in your posts, and I watched your YOUtube videos. While I'm no shrink, I like when someone is hell bent on doing the best job possible and won't quit until that's accomplished. If doing a great job makes one obsessive and in need of psychiatric help, count me in, but understand that's the person I want working on my house. Two videos stuck out to me: one was the KEG micro cutter. Have you used that to descale CI yet? How is it in roots? Do you like it? Was it worth the$$$? I own a root rat; not sure if something's wrong with it, but it seems to have almost no torque to spin in cast. The second video was the descale with keg7 forward. Awesome job, awesome results, but I'm confused. You removed all that scale with a forward spray nozzle? I ask because that looks like the perfect job for the micro cutter. So, first you loosened or broke all the scale free with... nozzle X, then I'm wondering how you removed all that debris.. Did you pull it back with a flushing nozzle, a warthog, or did you keep pushing it forward into the city? I'm curious because I like to pull all that solid out of the pipe, not just have a pile of it at the city connection. A lot of questions you probably don't feel like answering now, no rush or urgency. Impressive before and after anyone could be proud of. Hope you feel better shortly(But if not, and things take a turn for the worst, will Rick be in your will for the new Mongoose? He's less than thrilled with the US jet unit)
                        Rich,how do you like the root rat,otherwise?

Comment

Ehhh.. I don't. I bought it when I had a 4gpm 4kpsi unit knowing I would upgrade. When I tried using it, I had to bush from my 1/4" line to the 3/8" root rat. It had no power or torque, so I waited til I upgraded. My new unit is 7gpm 5kpsi and runs 1/4" and also 3/8". The warthog works great, and will remove some loose scale, but I really wanted something with chains to smooth out and "polish" cast walls. It can be used with different length wire, or chain. Personally, I'd hesitate to use the chain in plastic or clay piping; I think it's too aggressive, ok for the wire. I have to look into it to see if something is wrong, perhaps call the company. Thing is, it has very little(almost none) use. I like tools that just work. I understand they need care; nozzles need to be cleared, the warhog has to be topped with oil, etc. I know I was at the bottom of the gpm scale at 4 gpm, but at 7 I want that thing to cut some rust; perhaps it's not enough. I've contemplated the root ranger, but man that looks like it could get hung up...

Comment

rich, of the hundreds of times ive jetted with my 1/4'' , 1/2'' and double barrel root rangers, ive never been stuck or had to dig. the 1 that I lost was my fault for not properly tightening the hose onto the nozzle and it fell into a rotted out section of pipe. me turning trying to get it out caused it to unscrew since it wasn't fully tightened.

7 gpm would cut roots like a knife through butter. in fact at 7 gpm, you'll need a larger than standard rotor.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

The root ranger is why I don't need to upsize to a bigger jetter. Link doesn't show up here but look up my thread "how I jet".
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

From my research, and if memory serves me correctly, it takes min 9 gpm to get a chain flail nozzle to work properly. I however remember my phone conversation with the root rat inventor and he told me 6gpm would be great. I wouldn't be afraid to use chain in plastic or clay. Just make sure you know the condition before you flail. And don't hold it in one spot to long. Use your camera, nozzel and some patience and I think you will like your results.
                                Note, I would be to afraid of going for a polished descale job you mentioned in a earlier post. Even if success was achieved the first few times it would only be a matter of time until you spun a hole in the pipe. But a smoothish looking cast iron inside shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X