X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jetting with Masks?

Alright, ok. I'm going to get a root ranger. If it ever gets stuck and I can't get it out without a slight tug in less than 5 minutes, I'll just have to fly Ben and Rick to Florida to get it back for me. In the grand scheme of nozzles(It seems like more every year) the root ranger isn't crazy expensive. I think I overstated when I used the word "polished". I mean I just want to get rid of the heavy uneveness that even a rotating nozzle can leave. Who knows, the root ranger might just do the trick. I jetted a 3" cast section of horizontal that was very heavily rusted and built up. The warthog removed all the grease and the loose rust, but the inside of the pipe was still very rough and uneven. That's when I hooked up the root rat. It got it to spin, but as soon as it touched the cast, the water just shot out the two jets and stopped turning. No good. I'm not looking for a polished, shiny inside, just halfway smooth. Just like the job you showed in your video with the 7 forward nozzle. Obviously, even if you do manage to shine up cast iron, it takes about 30 seconds in a sewer to turn rusty orange. I spent too much on the root rat to give up on it without a phone call and maybe a video to the company. I don't want to give a negative review if I'm doing something wrong and everyone else loves it.

Comment

I hope you aren't getting the root ranger for cast iron descaling. Yikes, talk about drama central. Yeah its great on roots. But with 7gpm and 5k psi. A warthog properly used sounds more like the ticket. Also an enz rotating 2 90degree 2 thrusters,, sounds more like the ticket as well. Did you know the 3/8 warthog comes with 2 different set ups, and if you get the wrong one for your machine it can spin to fast and wear it out prematurely let alone not work properly. Also have you tested your root rat to make sure your getting optimum gpm and psi out of it. Gpm (to my understanding) is what really makes a rotating nozzel work.

Comment

The root ranger does a great job at descaling and knocking down tuberculations. It won't polish or sand down the pipe like the root rat. It also hit the pipe at a lower angle so I(my theory) it's less harmful then a warthog might be. Rich you're going to need to change the nozzle out. Also, what size and length hose are you using? Because of hose pressure loss, I only have about 2200 at the nozzle but it still works great with the root ranger. AJ is probably the cheapest place for them and envirospec is where I buy my turbo nozzles.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I run 3/8" with the root rat and warthog. When I order my rranger, it'll be from Coleman. I like doing business with them; that's who I bought my warthog from. I went over the specs with Marvin before I bought. It's set up with one forward nozzle that can be plugged for more intense wall work when the line is open. The 3/8" is 150'; I can run it straight off the jetter if I'm outside near a cleanout, or run 100' of 3/8" washer hose to my foot valve, jumper, jet hose(great for rooftop, inside, and hard to get a 400lb machine to. ) I spoke with a rep from KEG today; he said that 7gpm was low even for the micro cutter. The catalog says it requires 8, but the rep told me you want to be at 12 or above to really make it sing. Most trailer jetters do that and much higher, so my 7 won't give it the torque and power I'm after. Not to mention the $1400 price tag... My business has focused on plumbing and water treatment; but it's the plumbing and some drain cleaning that makes me money. I live in an area where there are a small handful of water treatment guys that are cutting each other's throat on price to the point that I'm not getting any of that business. It's just not worth it; you have to do a lot of volume. So, I'm considering dropping "water treatment" from my company name and add "drain". If I do start getting enough drain calls, I wouldn't hesitate to buy $1400 nozzles; they gotta be paid for and used.

Comment

I sent the skid back so it was 1100 ish.
            Gear knows how to make a rr work with minimum specs.
            Me? Don't like the blow back on a root ranger,, it's essentially pointed straight back jet, I had major blow back with my 6gpm 4kpsi cart, you have more.
            And with 7gpm and 5kpsi,,,,, if you plugged off the front like Coleman suggested you would have enough to descale and not blow it all back and out the cleanout 10 ft. In the air. This is my 2 cents. It's a great tool and understand why it's coveted. I just want to do it the easy softer way.

Comment

I did something stupid today. My first job in 8 days, plumber said it was a slam dunk jetter job, root intrusion at 20 feet. Got there 330. He said he camera it and the 3" under house c/o in crawl space made 1 90 into 4 inch clay. I took his word for it and got stuck coming back with 1/2 warthog, I had to dig up the line to maneuver it out, so my 1 hour quickie turned into 3 hr and got me in trouble with the wife. I'm still sick. Have lost 15 pds in 8 days. Don't eat 1 day then hardly eat the next. I'm going back tomorrow to do what I went there today for. It was my fault. I never should have took his word for it and and or should have chosen another skinnier nozzle.

Comment

once again, if you plan on descaling a cast iron line, you better be prepared to figure out how to push all the heavy scale/ grit out the main and into the city. heavy grit sits behind and doesn't flow. so you need a heavy forward pusher unless it's a reverse c/o going upstream, you'll be screwed.

descaling can cause more problems than it will solve with the wrong setup.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  once again, if you plan on descaling a cast iron line, you better be prepared to figure out how to push all the heavy scale/ grit out the main and into the city. heavy grit sits behind and doesn't flow. so you need a heavy forward pusher unless it's a reverse c/o going upstream, you'll be screwed.

rick.
                  This is spot on advice. You could spend big bucks on a forward rotating flusher,, or tape a rotor nozzle to a push rod cable,, or tape your jet hose with a brass cap with 5 or so holes drilled in it. ( rick advice on an alternative to 7f). And something I would do if I couldn't buy or use a forward facing rotating nozzle.. If you dont have a viable plan you will end up with to much scale that can't be moved forward. Which has happened to me, right after rick warned me.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
                    To add....a garden hose or toilet flush isn't enough to move the scale
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thank you! This has always been my concern jetting cast iron even if descaling isn't the main goal. Jet pvc all day long, you don't get plastic residue or chunks unless something's busted(which is a different can of worms), but cast always produces scale-sizable chunks of pure iron rust. And it doesn't disappear no matter how much you flush a toilet. 43 yr old condo buildings on the beach have had lots of kitchen backups; both in the verticals, connections, and where they turn horizontal. I go under the buildings, break apart where the vertical and horizontal connect and the stack is basically open to the raw sand under the building(not quite high enough for a short guy like me to completely stand up, but don't have to crawl either). Then I send the line straight up and make it rain! The thing is, just like Rick said; if you were to just go up a clean out, you'd be pulling all the black, greasy scale right into a horizontal main that is in terrible shape itself. Fixing one problem, but creating another. Once the vertical is clean and the water fairly clear, I clean the horizontal and hook the stack back up. When I jet cast from a cleanout outside a home, I keep a Ridgid vac to suck up the scale when I pull back. It's time consuming, much more work than plastic, but it's gotta go somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                      X