Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning A 1968, 1-1/2" Cast Iron Tub Drain (from overflow)

Hello.
    I'm a retired (before Angie's List) repair plumber and leak locator. Never did drain work, but all of my tools were Ridigd®, and they never let me down. Most times my only friend on the job, since I worked alone. Had a Spartan 100 but never used it.
    What I use it a Super-Vee, 1/4 and 5/16 inner-core for our 1-1/2 and 2" drains around the property.
    In a guest house, built in 1968, the tub runs slow. When I replaced the (off-set-a-bit from new construction, day-one, see pic) brass, waste and over-flow to the tub, I had access to the 1-1/2" cast iron riser. Now the exterior wall is fastened up and I don't want to pull the over-flow tailpiece apart to get at the riser.
    I only used the Vee, 1/4" blub to clean the line then, so probably, only poked a hole and there's gobs of scale in the interior of the pipe.
    Thought I would try and use the Vee, 5/16 drop head bulb going through the tub's overflow, but then managing to get through the 1-1/2" cast iron p-trap below ground?..... I dunno. I don't want to damage the thin-wall brass of the overflow tailpiece either.... clunking a 'round n' 'round.
    Then, looking at the General site someone here provided, I see that they make a drop-head, 1" diameter, Super-Ball with self-sharpening cutters that will remove scale. So, I ordered one drop-shipped to my shop on Wednesday of next week. Anyone ever used one in this application?
    http://www.drainbrain.com/cutters/ClogChopper.html
    Last edited by Hydra-Glide; 01-10-2014, 02:34 PM.
Working...
X