Cutting Cast Iron....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Cast Iron....

When using my reciprocating saw what is the preferred teeth per inch when cutting cast iron ? What are the best blades for the $$$ ?

Re: Cutting Cast Iron....

Milwaukee and Lenox make diamond blades for cutting cast iron. They work but take too long IMO.

I prefer using a 4 1/2" grinder with a diamond blade.

Comment

What He said . Rick taught Me the H cut .
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

What's a drain cleaner that thinks he's better then plumbers doing plumbing? Finally got your license?
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I've always had good luck with carbide bit sawzall blades or an angle grinder with Dimond or black metal disk blades always do the trick

Comment

Cast iron is cuttable with a sawzall 10/14 tpi. Or portaband.

No hub with a diamond blade, carbide grit or grinder.

Rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Snap cut and smooth out w/ grinder

Comment

No one owns ratchet cutters? I've had that tool with me for decades. Side grinder will work though.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Dhal22 View Post
                  No one owns ratchet cutters? I've had that tool with me for decades. Side grinder will work though.

David
                  . I have a Ridgid ratchet cutter ,,,,works great!

Comment

I own every kind of snap cutter including a massive hydraulic cutter. but on old cast iron, care must be taken so you don't shatter old weak or thin cast. especially underground pipe that's already rusty inside and outside. clay is never an issue to snap clean. but cast can be an issue if weak. I try to roll my cutter chain like a wheel cutter most of the cut.

my handiest cutters for service work is not the ratchet cutter as it's a beast and heavy. the best cutter is the smaller 226 ridgid in place cutter. handle comes off or turns sideways.

also the wheeler rex 490 / 491 cutter is similar without the removable handle.

rick.
                    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 01-13-2014, 11:24 PM. Reason: wheeler rex added
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      . clay is never an issue to snap clean.
                      rick.
                      I disagree with that statement. Some old clay pipe can and will crush or crack. I have seen it happen

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                        I disagree with that statement. Some old clay pipe can and will crush or crack. I have seen it happen
                        I agree with Rick, I've been snapping clay out here in CA for over 30 years. And the only time I crushed clay is 1 time. And that was because I had the chain set improperly. Maybe it's a weather age thing.
                        I only have 1 soil cutter. Ridgid ratchet 246 or what it was 30 years ago. But when I played golf I had all the new drivers, putters, and New irons from time to time. Tennis? The newest racket technology, and at least 3 of each new racket choice.
                        Cutting cast? Lenox 10 teeth, in 6 8 inch. Or a grinder with a metal blade, I save the diamond for concrete.
                        When I was new I tried to figure the best blade manufacturer. But with cast being different from batch to batch, factor in age etc etc, the choice evolved to it what's the most expensive at supply house.
                        Thanks for letting me share
                        Last edited by theplungerman; 01-14-2014, 01:34 AM.

Comment

I've used the carbide and diamond blades, but they do take time. If you have access, the grinder works great! I almost bought snap cutters, but by the time I'm getting to cast, it's in very rough shape and very weak. For the very few times I've cut clay, the grinder means I have one less thing to keep on the truck.. I've read to use cut off wheels on cast, but I've used the diamond blades; about the only wheel I get any mileage out of.

Comment

Working...
                          X