finding cleanouts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finding cleanouts

Does anyone on this forum use a metal detector to find cleanout plugs on sewer/drain lines/manholes ,How well do you like doing so and what are your results?
    Thanks.

Re: finding cleanouts

Probe only here

Comment

I do. The downfall is that it also picks up any other metallic objects, too - nails, sheet metal, coins, etc. It helps to know a general area before you start.
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

The best way is with a sewer camera and locator. After that I have a vault locator. If all else fails my back up is a tile probe.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I have. but you need to kind of know where they should be. as mark said, a camera is pretty spot on as long as the riser is vertical. if it branches off, then it only gets you to the main and not the branch.

I had a large job at Disneyland, calif adventure during construction. the landscapers came in on a weekend and buried all the valve boxes. I was brought in to locate as many as I could. since it was a huge project, I was guided by the plans as to what and where to look. found about 1/2 of them in the 2 days I was there. all with a metal detector. even a hydrant valve was buried under 8' of concrete. pulled the hydrant and ran my seesnake to spot the valve. was able to give them a decent mark as to where to dig. the pipe was ductile iron and the 512 hz. transmitter doesn't penetrate the pipe. but I was able to trace the pipe and do the math with footage.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

outside clean out, what's that?
            I think I've seen about 10 of those in Maine on residential and not much more than that on commercial.

I have one apartment building with an outside clean out that I service yearly. it makes the job so much easier, but every time it is raining, snowing, or dark and ungodly cold.
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
              Probe only here
              A probe is a great tool, but I have gotten kind of lazy and puny in my middle age and try ever way possible not to probe in dirt full of rubbish.
              Kind of joking,yet many times concrete or other type paving are covering c/o's or m/h's.
              And I enjoy being correct on a job.
              Speaking of probes,some kind of way,mine got bent the other day,time to pick up another one.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                I do. The downfall is that it also picks up any other metallic objects, too - nails, sheet metal, coins, etc. It helps to know a general area before you start.
                What type do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  The best way is with a sewer camera and locator. After that I have a vault locator. If all else fails my back up is a tile probe.

Mark
                  I have a camera and locater,trying to find those flush against the footing.
                  What is a vault locater?

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                    outside clean out, what's that?
                    I think I've seen about 10 of those in Maine on residential and not much more than that on commercial.

I have one apartment building with an outside clean out that I service yearly. it makes the job so much easier, but every time it is raining, snowing, or dark and ungodly cold.
                    Just like taking off for a few days, rough weather fixes the non ringing phone that seems not to accept the many calls that should be coming in.

Comment

Originally posted by red1234 View Post
                      I have a camera and locater,trying to find those flush against the footing.
                      What is a vault locater?
                      It is made for finding masses like buried valves, manhole covers and property markers. It differentiates between ferrous and non-ferrous metals. I have a Goldak 720.

https://www.goldak.com/inner/purchase/pdf/720.pdf

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by red1234 View Post
                        What type do you use?
                        Radio Shack cheapie my Dad got for me Xmas 1985. No joke. I can get the model number if you need it. The head is water proof too.

In 1989 I found a 5 pound meteorite with it. Made him so proud.
                        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                          Radio Shack cheapie my Dad got for me Xmas 1985. No joke. I can get the model number if you need it. The head is water proof too.

In 1989 I found a 5 pound meteorite with it. Made him so proud.
                          Many meteorites are worth big bucks depending on what metals on in them.
                          Did you sell it or still have it? Did you check for ionizing radiation?
                          You might be picking up dose with it sitting on your bookshelf.
                          Don't know if any found have been radioactive but ya never know.

Most are some type of iron I believe. I would guess a 5 pounder to be about the size of a baseball.
                          Last edited by Bob D.; 01-23-2014, 04:27 PM.
                          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Meteorites..................... Didn't see that coming in a plumbing discussion forum.

David

Comment

Snow cover and depth keep main lines from freezing up here but wouldn't an outside clean out, especially in the driveway or sidewalk
                              be more apt to transfer cold down to the main?

Ran into two last week, one was buried in the snow so did the job from the basement and another was
                              in the driveway.

The one in the driveway was still over 200' run and over 20 below wind chill.
                              I let someone else do it.

(BTW, it's up to 2 degrees F with a predicted high of 4 )
                              Last edited by fixitright; 01-25-2014, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X