Rookie Jetter Mistake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookie Jetter Mistake

I go to a parking lot drain to curb jet job today. So I go from curb and push and push and push with a chisel nozzel. Then I'm like Whoops,,,, see if you can pull back knucklehead,, no go Joe,,, pull harder still no,,,, run full throttle a few times, turn off then pull, no,,,,,,, this is with 3/8. So I throw caution to the wind,,, I then couple to 1/2 inch and reel and use that as my pull power.. It was full throttle 30-40 seconds, then pull back 1-2 ft, rinse repeat. It finally came back but looks like some rats went to town on it. It's all chewed up. Ordering new hose tomorrow.
    And yes I know,,, go slow in a few feet then make sure you can pull back,,,, then repeat. I got stuck about 50 ft. About 7 5gallon buckets full of sand came out,, and did get all the way to catch basin, the job ended up getting done right,, but the net wasn't so great. Oh well live and learn.

Re: Rookie Jetter Mistake

problem with area drains is the sand and grit. turns you jetter into a sand blaster and will shred the first few feet of hose. you can try using a 10' heavy duty hydraulic hose as a leader or wrap the heck out of it to soften the blow.

I have a few crimper machines to repair the hoses. what you do is use the new crimp on the machine end for the first few jobs so if it fails, you don't lose the nozzle down the drain.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick, I shredded it big time pulling it around a corner or two, not just some nicks but a million big cuts in a long continuous fashion,,,, all the way down to the metal.
      At a time or four as I stood back and used the reel to pull it out, the hose was stretching out and not advancing, it even stopped the reel,,, low rpm equal low pulling power but all the same it was getting ready to rip in half like a noodle. I don't remember you teaching me not to make this mistake, re: getting stuck.

Comment

At least you are big enough Plunger to admit you are not perfect. I reckon even our famous Rick still has his moments as too do all of us. Early days I was going downstream from a floorwaste gully and the jet turned around and started to go upstream at a 45 ob junction. Sharp edge on the ob made getting the hose back near impossible. Just as well had a mate with camera and cable who came to the rescue. Pushed my head back to main drain so I could retrieve. Damn greasy lines too........!!!!

Comment

Robert, is that hose metal lined? If so, then it's pressure washer hose and that's ok, but not as flexible. I use some on straight runs as it has a tougher cover and is typically less expensive.

Ive been stuck in multiple bends and ive use lots of soap to help slicken up the pipe and hose. Very rarely am I close or staright enough to use the hydraulic reel to pull out hoses. Ive had to strap a come along onto a tree or column. Also running upstream can be rougher on the hose if you enter a comby or wye going upstream. Even plastic is sharp to the hose.

Another thing is, the softer the hose cover, the easier it rips. You want a slick hard covered hose. Slick and soft is junk and will tear.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

On those packed sand deals I have been stuck the same way, it rushes down stream and packs around the hose add in some bends and it's stuck city totally different than a root job. I now send the nozzle in very slowly and do not let it advance until the water is flowing back clear then advance a little and always pull back test every couple feet. And then camera to make sure the sand is clear the whole pipe. And yea the big hose reel turns into a winch and that hose stretches like a wet noodle.
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
              On those packed sand deals I have been stuck the same way, it rushes down stream and packs around the hose add in some bends and it's stuck city totally different than a root job. I now send the nozzle in very slowly and do not let it advance until the water is flowing back clear then advance a little and always pull back test every couple feet. And then camera to make sure the sand is clear the whole pipe. And yea the big hose reel turns into a winch and that hose stretches like a wet noodle.
              That's what I told my guy I should do, I'm an idiot I rushed it in and never checked for back flow or performed a simple pull back test.
              Thanks, it's Rick fault he didn't go over with me about sandy area drains.
              I stood back wincing like it was going to go SNAP.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                Robert, is that hose metal lined? If so, then it's pressure washer hose and that's ok, but not as flexible. I use some on straight runs as it has a tougher cover and is typically less expensive.

Ive been stuck in multiple bends and ive use lots of soap to help slicken up the pipe and hose. Very rarely am I close or staright enough to use the hydraulic reel to pull out hoses. Ive had to strap a come along onto a tree or column. Also running upstream can be rougher on the hose if you enter a comby or wye going upstream. Even plastic is sharp to the hose.

Another thing is, the softer the hose cover, the easier it rips. You want a slick hard covered hose. Slick and soft is junk and will tear.

Rick.
                It's a hose I bought from a j Coleman who said it was for Hydro Jetting. It was slickish and hard. I liked it.
                What I put it thru anything would have ripped. I just ordered another 150 footer. I do want to,, as this hose still has life want to make some leaders out of like you suggested,,, as I did a little chew up job on my previous cart jetter hose. Do you know anyone who is really cool that could cut and crimp me up a few using my hose.

Comment

Just so you know on jetter hose you are supposed to use the brand of dies and crimps that match the hose, i.e.parker is parker, synflex is synflex etc. But I found out quickly that finding hydraulic shops that have all the correct stuff was impossible (I have different brands of hoses) So one guy told me it did not matter and I let them crimp mine with another brand. It has lasted over a year with no problems but it is always in the back of my mind if it let loose and wacked somebody walking by.
                  Seattle Drain Service

Comment

That's good to know, thanks. If say I went and did a mismatch crimp, would the crimp job show some signs it might fail before it actually did.
                    As rick suggested I want to cut up a few 10 ft leaders, this is the second time I jacked up a hose going in an area drain. And his post reminded me I did the same thing with my cart jetter. So the leader advice is good,, maybe I'll go for a couple 25 ft cuz that's about how much of the first part of my hose. I shredded.

Comment

Working...
                    X