X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sectional Choices?

I need another "all around" sectional. I have a General I-95. I have not had any problems or breakdowns in several years. Nothing. I've actually left it out in the open in rainstorms more than once. (I know, dumbazz)

So why not another I-95? Well, it's not a root machine really. And I haven't needed one, but like you all know, sometime I might.

So I'm thinking:

Ridgid K60
    General Wire Root 66
    Rothenberger R600

Any opinions appreciated.

Re: Sectional Choices?

Get the dreel!
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      Get the dreel!
      Got that on the pump truck.

I need another sectional though. I have to pull toilets almost always (no C.O.'s) often in smaller bathrooms or have to hit the roof. Plus keep the liability & idiot factor down with safety.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Comment

oh then k60 for sure.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Spartan 300 for medium duty work that is friendly to inside environments. Not much mess or prep.

Comment

O... my bad.... yes get the K-Stupid it's a wonder machine that can do it all with simple attachments such as the world renowned reverse auger !!!

Why do you even bother asking ................ ???

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
              Spartan 300 for medium duty work that is friendly to inside environments. Not much mess or prep.
              I already have a Model N that's probably comparable.

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                O... my bad.... yes get the K-Stupid it's a wonder machine that can do it all with simple attachments such as the world renowned reverse auger !!!

Why do you even bother asking ................ ???

A sectional is a sectional really in operation. Doesn't matter if it's a K60 or a Craftsman. Was just wondering of others' that may have used the three I listed and some advantages & disadvantages of them.

For instance, many times people have posted about adjusting the K60 alignment or a bearing seizing. Whereas there is zero alignment on my I95 to do and I haven't done anything other than hit the 1 grease fitting once in awhile over several years and drains.

And I think a Rothenberger can change between cable sizes without touching anything. Just put the cable in and hit it. (Have to check the specs again....)

So of the 3 I listed, there are probably strengths and weaknesses to each.

Sectionals are fine, drums are fine, jetters are fine, handspinners rule. I just need another sectional.

And a reverse auger has been for years, and always will be, just a broken or cut cable.

Comment

K60 has been good for me. I bought mine used a year ago and have had zero issues with it yet. Think it is around 4 years old, been a very versatile and reliable machine. I used to be one of those K60 haters, but I had also never used one before so I realy had no business making an opinion on it.

Is it as powerful as a Spartan 1065, Electric Eel Model C, GO68HD, or K1500? No way. But it will easily clear around 70% of ALL residential clogs from sinks, washing machines, building drains to building sewers. If you do alot of drain cleaning, I can't see why you wouldn't want to add it to your arsenal.
                  Will Rogers Plumbing
                  Moore, Oklahoma
                  (
                  405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                  http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

The root 66 and k60 are pretty much the same. I have both. The k 60 has an advantage that it can spin cable without an operator there. Nice if you need to listen to a line away from the machine. Its a simple process of adjusting the clutch and pinning the clutch handle in the down position. But you need to make sure that the cable doesn't auto feed in or out. Can't do that with the root 66.

The root 66 uses a 2 position handle to adjust from 5/8" to 7/8". No real fine tuning like the k60 has. The k60 also has 2 handles and the ability to attach a guide hose to the front or rear if need be.

Both are good machines, but I prefer the k60.

The reverse auger is a cut off cable with a hugh advantage over a factory auger tool. My reverse auger has never broken in the hundreds of appljcations ive used it for. It allows me to adjust the end for 1.5" pipe and still spring back to 4" pipe. It also auto feeds when running in the line as the auger needs to spin counter clockwise/ reverse rotation. Since there is no male to female coupling 6" from the end, it navigates tight turns much better. Its also cleared root stoppages that cutters couldn't. Its retrieved debris, objects that cutters couldn't.

I broke 4 factory augers in 1 day before I made my reverse auger and 6 years later, its still working without a failure.

So while a drum machine might use the end of a cable without a coupling, it doesn't compare to a sectional open wind reverse auger. It's like comparing a nail to a screw. The reverse auger acts like a corkcrew in a wine bottle.

So if you think the reverse auger is noting more than a broken cable, you're way wrong. Just ask everyone who's had great success with it. Including 5/8" cable.

Rick
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Reverse auger. The second pic is from the only time I got stuck is when I got caught in a root ball 2' past the city main and was using the reverse auger. Actually got the whole situation on video and the city ended up reimbursing the customer.
                      Attached Files
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks for the machine info Rick.

Sorry, but a reverse auger is nothing more than a broken or cut cable. Which is a good thing to have for use.

4 broken augers in 1 day?! I bet they were Ridgid. Wasn't there a thread about how their augers were really fragile and breaking easy?

Comment

What size lines are you going to attempt with the new machine? 4" or 6"?

I own a K-60 and an R750. The rothenberger is my first choice. I run General IC 7/8" cable sometimes with 1 or 2 sections of 1.25" cable in the front (I have a special connector made by Rothy that lets me connect 1.25" cables or cutter to 7/8" cables. I rod 6" lines well with this setup. The R750 is a beast. Motor rated at almost 1 HP. The K60 struggles on long distances in 6". I keep the K60 as a backup and for special applications. It is great in 4" though.

Don't consider the R600. The motor is better than the K60, but parts are next to impossible to get. The only reason I keep my R750, is that I can use Ridgid jaws in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                            What size lines are you going to attempt with the new machine? 4" or 6"?

I own a K-60 and an R750. The rothenberger is my first choice. I run General IC 7/8" cable sometimes with 1 or 2 sections of 1.25" cable in the front (I have a special connector made by Rothy that lets me connect 1.25" cables or cutter to 7/8" cables. I rod 6" lines well with this setup. The R750 is a beast. Motor rated at almost 1 HP. The K60 struggles on long distances in 6". I keep the K60 as a backup and for special applications. It is great in 4" though.

Don't consider the R600. The motor is better than the K60, but parts are next to impossible to get. The only reason I keep my R750, is that I can use Ridgid jaws in it.
                            Four inch is probably the maximum it will see.

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                              Four inch is probably the maximum it will see.
                              Then you may want to seriously consider the Spartan 300 if you have any experience with drums. or maybe an eel model N

The K60 is a bit more versatile though being able to switch back and forth from 5/8 to 7/8 cable. Parts are the easiest to get too.

Comment

Working...
                              X