expansion cutter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• expansion cutter

Good day gentlemen.I have been running into a few situations where after I rod with 4 " cutters and get the line open and flowing I camera the line.Inspection still shows sections with 50% blockage.i wanted to know about the expansion cutters and if there worth it.Im running a spartan 1065 with 3/4 " general wire inner core cable slotted end type .Thanks again.

Re: expansion cutter

What type rod and cable, and what type 4" cutter? When I rod I use a 2" pair shaped cutter, then a 3" pair shaped and a 4" pair shaped, 9 times out of 10 the line is spotless, there are a few times there might be some flapper roots hanging about, then I just squeeze in a 6" pair shaped cutter.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    Ron's Facebook
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
      What type rod and cable, and what type 4" cutter? When I rod I use a 2" pair shaped cutter, then a 3" pair shaped and a 4" pair shaped, 9 times out of 10 the line is spotless, there are a few times there might be some flapper roots hanging about, then I just squeeze in a 6" pair shaped cutter.
      I guess the would be pear shaped like the spartan cutters.i use 3/4" general cables in my spartan 1065.Most access points are 3 1/2" or 4" i use 3" cutters then the 4" claw or u shaped style cutters.

Comment

I found the ridgid 4x6" expanding cutter pretty useless. I've adapted them for the drum machine as they are designed for the higher speed sectional. Have 4 different setups including my sectionals, and truthfully, they don't stay expanded and its a big hunk of heavy metal with a weak spring. Blades are very stout with no teeth. It's listed as a finishing cutter. I rarely use them anymore.

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Best expansion cutter is a jetter.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

How about spirals ? I've always liked the claw type cutters but my cousin runs an eel with spiral round cutters.Any advantage to using round cutters as a posed to blade type.

Comment

I've found with my sectional that the spiral root saws are much more agressive with the sectionals. Forward they cut like a saw and reverse rotation, it's like an auger that rips.

Only issue is they're not springy and don't scrape like a pear blade that's squeezed down. But they cut like a saw and are much more agressive in roots.

Rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Still a 50% blockage in a 4" line after rodding with a 4" blade ? This doesn't seem right. Is the blade an actual 4" or just labeled as such ? Are you sure the line doesn't expand to a 6" line ?

I've had excellent results with my EEl 4"x6" expansion cutter but I'm using it on sectional cable spinning at 600rpm.
                Last edited by AssTyme; 02-10-2014, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                  Still a 50% blockage in a 4" line after rodding with a 4" blade ? This doesn't seem right. Is the blade an actual 4" or just labeled as such ? Are you sure the line doesn't expand to a 6" line ?

I've had excellent results with my EEl 4"x6" expansion cutter but I'm using it on sectional cable spinning at 600rpm.
                  4 " cast iron underground. Then past the foundation it turns into6"clay.Most access points are from the soil stack cleanout .Usually 3" to 1/2" or 4".
                  Last edited by sewermonster85; 02-10-2014, 09:18 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

I say try rodding with a 2" blade first and take note of the spots you feel cutting taking place. Then go to the 3" cutter and work the spots you noted while running lots of water. Then finish off with the 4" cutter. The reason behind this is the roots are tightly packed in the pipe, the 2" cutter is going to bore the starting hole and give the roots room to loosen up. The 3" cutter is going to tear out a bit more roots, and loosen up the tight packed ones with the help of the running water. Now the 4" blade will be able to grab ahold of the loose roots and tear them out.

One of the things I noticed watching others clean a main line is they seem to think it is a race. They rush the job by using the largest cutter they can send in, bore a hole through the blockage and pack it up. It is not a race, slow down take the time to let the tool do its job. Most sewers with me running three blades through take me an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes, and that's letting the machine do all the work. You will never see me forcing the cable in the line, I let the autofeed send the cable down the line nice and easy, as I feel for every turn, every obstruction, while I picture in my mind's eye the cutter turning.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    Ron's Facebook
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Good advice , thanks ratz

Comment

Working...
                      X