lots of potato peelings

lots of egg shells

Some strips of plastic

A quart of Drano

Add in to one disposal

= The Perfect clog

All on a Sunday

Re: The Perfect clog

A jetter would have made for a quick day. Egg shells just settle in the pipe and layer it full. Have a building I've worked at for over 15 years. 1 of the 2" kitchen lines picks up a 4 story stack of kitchen sinks and runs horizontal close to 70' before it dumps into an ejector pit. 2x a year it would plug and everytime it was full of eggshells ground up from the disposal. Problem was the line made multiple turns and snaking wouldn't clear it. The shells just settled in the long line. Problem was solved about 5 years ago when the owner of 1 of the 4 moved out. He was grinding eggs everyday for breakfast.

Had 1 last week at a school for a crafts sink. Tried to clear it from a 1.5" c.o. with my k50 and 5/8" sectional. 65' and nothing. They hadno idea where it ran or what ties into it. The 1.5" co used to be an old drinking fountain on the outside wall of the sink. Sink is inside about 2' lower.

Came back the nextday with my jetter and knocked it out in the first pass within 30 seconds to 75'. Sink being lower was blowing back sand and glitter. Made several passes to help flush out the line. Brought back cups of sand and glitter into the sink while still draining water.

Had me do some courtyard drains that hadn't drained in years while I had my jetter there. The prior company claimed they were full and couldn't clear them with a cable. Turns out they tie into a line that runs several hundred feet before exiting under a sidewalk and curb 1 building away.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

My eggshell story is a 4 story McMansion with a flat 2" prep sink line about 20' long completely full of eggshells. Upgraded the 2" to a 3" line with as much fall as as I could squeeze in between the engineered joists. Added a cleanout of course. They still fill the drain line up with eggshells. Place a Rubbermaid trashcan under the cleanout and go to work. They do love their eggs.

David

Comment

No offense Rick, but a jetter:

Would have flooded the place out

Would be frozen as the weather here is very cold

The problem was not just the egg shells but the steel wool that was intermixed with
        the egg shells and potato's and plastic.

There are tools that work well in some area's and some that don't.

Back to the original post, it was the Perfect clog set up in the perfect place.
        It took a while but I got it.

Comment

I love it when they say they have no idea how that stuff got in the line. I got my 5/8" sectional cable stuck in a line full of egg shells once. I crawled under the house and cut out the kitchen sink line to get my cable back and pulled out about a gallon of egg shells with it. The home owner crawled under the house with me and watched me do all this. He just kept saying over and over that they don't eat eggs and had no idea how it happened. That finally changed to we only eat about three eggs a day and it shouldn't have caused a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
            I love it when they say they have no idea how that stuff got in the line. I got my 5/8" sectional cable stuck in a line full of egg shells once. I crawled under the house and cut out the kitchen sink line to get my cable back and pulled out about a gallon of egg shells with it. The home owner crawled under the house with me and watched me do all this. He just kept saying over and over that they don't eat eggs and had no idea how it happened. That finally changed to we only eat about three eggs a day and it shouldn't have caused a problem.

Reminds me of the occasional septic tank pump out where there are floating condoms and one or the other homeowner turns white in the face.

Comment

My go to perfect clog was at least 30 years ago
              The lady cleaned out her cabinets and decided to pour the box of old instant mashed potatoes into her disposal
              Just so she could throw out a empty box
              The disposal and water blended them so good even my wife can't make them so creamy smooth
              I had to dig out all the pipes, then clean it out

Comment

Working...
              X