Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jetter Hose Stuck Again

I got stuck again today.
    Used 3/8 hose and warthog. 3 3 inch 90 turns with 5 4 inch clay 45 to about 120 feet.
    At about 90 ft with 2 clay 45 left it pulled back but was super hard. Since the clog was past another 45 and 15 more feet I went for it because I had the reel to help me if I couldn't get it.
    So when it was time to bring it back I thought she was going to snap so I stopped. I then put a nice amount of liquid detergent down,,,, she came back but didn't want to,,,, it looked like a flat noodle ready to snap. It wasn't stuck in roots.
    I'm wondering if my hose is sub standard and a harder slicker hose would help.
    Some jetter guru advice would be very much appreciated.
    So better hose or how many turns?
    I don't remember this much drama with my other jetter re stuck hoses.

Last edited by gear junkie; 05-27-2018, 03:23 PM.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Re: Jetter Hose Stuck Again

Remember with all those turns and thermoplastic hose, you will get stuck. Been there plenty of times. But usually I don't have a hydraulic reel to pull back with. Soap and vibration is the way to loosen it up.

Cast iron is not as slick as clay or plastic. Alao some hoses are softer than others and will gouge the cover. the trick is to camera the line in advance if you suspect a difficult run. Soap and vibration then pressure off to let it relax, then pressure on to let it stiffen.

If you had a long hollow cable to fish the hose through, it will break the friction. even if its just a turn or 2 that you can get it down. a 15' 1.25" sectional without ends will at least get you past the cleanout opening.

Unfortunately not all lines are installed to code. Whatever happened to 135 degrees before another cleanout?

The city has it simple. Manhole to manhole straight run large bore pipe.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I find it is not the number of bends that is the biggest problem, it is bends very close together. I sometimes find 3" difficult with 1/4" hose. Not surprised that 3/8 got stuck. Agree; pull back under pressure (maybe not full, but at least some) - it makes the hose less susceptible to damage.

Comment

Thanks gear and rick.
          I'm not pulling back under pressure.
          Not this time cuz I had the reel, but I do use vibration.
          I like the hollow cable idea.
          This was a job for another plumber so I went off what he told me about his camera job. So after getting stuck I Camered it myself and his assessment was right on.
          It seems I have the most problems when there are 3 fairly quick turns in 3 inch cast. to start off the run.
          Rick do you have a quota of degrees you will not attempt.
          Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
            I find it is not the number of bends that is the biggest problem, it is bends very close together. I sometimes find 3" difficult with 1/4" hose. Not surprised that 3/8 got stuck. Agree; pull back under pressure (maybe not full, but at least some) - it makes the hose less susceptible to damage.
            Thanks, it's nice to know I'm not the only one with this problem. I have a feeling 3 quick 3 inch CI 90 is the new taboo for me. This is the 3rd time in the past month ish. I'm not complaining or posting about it every time but it's starting to tick me off.
            I need to know the real deal so when I relay this information to my customers I sound like I know what I'm talking about,,,, this so I don't get the the stink eye cuz I'm not coming off confident. Thanks

Comment

Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Mine have typically been sewers running out the rear to the alley and a pool has been installed. They relocate the sewer line to go around the pool and don't raise the required cleanouts above the decking. 8 plus change of directions.

Had 1 last week from a rooftop 4" vent to 62' city main in alley. Need to go and camera it as I was only stuck at the 60-62' mark. Soap and vibration was the call. I doubt wire lube will stay on the hose with all the water being used.

Soap helps slicken the friction around the bends. Vibration also helps by jumping the hose off the pipe and lowers the pressure too. As pressure increase the hose stretches/lengthens and stiffens. Too low of pressure and it's too soft and will stretch when pulled on.

Had one 6 months ago with cast iron and only out about 60'. 3 of us pulling couldn't get it. Tried 2 plus 1 in the truck with a strap and still nothing. Then soaped it up, stopped for lunch and 2 of us easily pulled it out after lunch. Lunch didn't include spinach either. But it was 105 year of strength between the 2 of us.

A stainless hose has the least drag, but comes with the highest pricetag. And can be damaged by rough pipe bends.

Rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

How much soap?

Guess what? I got my first full on fash wash,,, knew I was pushing the envelope,, gardener and jetter was right next to me,,, LOUD,,,,, so I'm pulling back real slow cuz a root blockage was within 2 ft clean out, and while looking over but kinda dark here comes this face plant of water,,, got a teeny tiny taste of some kind of additive,,,,, I didn't panic,, took off gloves glasses,,, went to drain down ball valve and washed away.... Oh well I have 25 pds to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                      hearing this talk of stuck 3/8 hose is causing concern I made a mistake by going up to 3/8 hose.
                      3 inch cast with to many quick bends,,, maybe partially my hose too. I bought a new 3/8 since shedding up my last one,,,,,, time to change it

Comment

Robert, it was over 12 years ago I took a drip of sewer water into my mouth. it's like the first time you siphon gas and get a taste of it in your mouth. you'll never forget the first time.

if you need a good gi doctor, I good friend of mine is one. you'll know in 48 hours if you need to see a dr. make sure you have an empty bucket at all times because when it hits, it hits hard.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            I don't know why you try to push the envelope....oh well....that's on you. Anyway, I like balling up a towel over the cleanout and stepping on it when getting blowback. I also do this when I have to bring the RR back under pressure. Completely stops the spray and is way safer. Also kind of makes it look like you know what you're doing.
                            Because I'm an envelope Pusher. Hey 1.5 years first wash down,, not bad, live and learn.
                            I did the towel ball up routine with the rr still got some spray. Worked well though.
                            It was the gardener fault, his blow down was within in a few feet behind me, I thought about waiting, but went in a little close to listen and WHOOSH.
                            With the a warthog nozzel, and no uncovered gasoline engine behind my ear, I can listen and hear and have no problem staying dry,,,,, had a couple close calls,,,,, with towel it's harder to hear and can't see. But next time I'll get a towel if I have to hit it hard super close to clean out. Thanks gear.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              Robert, it was over 12 years ago I took a drip of sewer water into my mouth. it's like the first time you siphon gas and get a taste of it in your mouth. you'll never forget the first time.

if you need a good gi doctor, I good friend of mine is one. you'll know in 48 hours if you need to see a dr. make sure you have an empty bucket at all times because when it hits, it hits hard.

rick.
                              I didn't swallow,,, I belive you did...... And the line was cleared and allready pretty clean,,, I think I tasted abs,, maybe not,,, but it wasn't vile. I immediately spit and washed out 5 times. But according to you I have about 36 more hours before I'm in the clear. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X