Jetter pump froze

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jetter pump froze

My jetter is down, friend was helping me out. He Has spartan 758 trailer. We did one job and blew the pump and hose out with a compressor and on to the next job. Fill up at next job and go to open it up and the pump blew out - ( i will try to get pics ). It blew out at the top of the middle plunger on the pump. You can see part of what I assume is a gasket protruding from under what looks like a bolt on top of the pump plunger. The brass didnt crack just this blow out at this spot. We put it right back in the heated garage for the weekend. Is this just a matter of repairing that gasket/bolt or rebuilding the entire pump ?

Re: Jetter pump froze

did the pump freeze or the outlet hose?

I've never seen a pump blow, but have seen some odd things when the hose is frozen, and the hose can freeze pretty quick.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

http://www.spartantool.com/filebin/p...-_pump_758.pdf

I'm guessing the "bolt" is one of the plugs where the check valves live and the "gasket" is the o-ring sealing the plug (48,48A). You'll have to just take it apart and see. I'd have expected a relief valve to open up and prevent this failure... though I could see the manifold or fittings, etc freezing and closing off the path to the relief valve. If you are lucky it'll just need a new o-ring.
      Last edited by Ace Sewer; 03-03-2014, 11:40 PM.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

hopefully you didn't damage the threads in the head. the caps are easily replaced, but the head is spendy.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks so much guys
          Gene - im not exactly sure what froze but we did blow out the hose and pump. Now that i think about it probably the hose because water did spray out of the pump when it went.
          Ace- exactly the parts - im terrible with the internet and pretty new to jetting- im hoping its just the o-ring the plug lifted about 1/16"
          Rick- it only lifted about 1/16" with just a trace of the oring showing so im hoping its not head and just the cap.
          Appreciate the info. Will let you guys know once we get a chance to take a look.

Comment

If the threads in the head are toast, consider a helicoil.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I use my Spartan 758all year round due to its small size.

This is what I do in freezing temps.

I keep the unit about 15-20% above idle and have thepressure hose going back into the tank by the cap.

But I also pull onthe pressure off valve until I see a small stream of water coming from thereturn line from the unloader.

I had this plastic fitting and hose freeze on the way to ajob site when it was -10.

When I turned to bypass it sounded like a shot gun.

Keep in mind that moving water will not freeze. But you mustalso have ¾ to a full tank otherwise the low water shut off switch will getsloshed and turn off.

Also make sure you can blow out the fill hose at each job site.

Or keep a couple 100’ of hose you can keep in the warm truckso it doesn’t freeze.
              Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
              1-920-284-7471

Comment

Or move west and deal with jetting in the rain once a year.

Have 2 jets to do today, t-shirt weather. Hope I don't get sun burned

Rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

Rick.
                  !@@#$#$ !@#@#$%@#%$!@3 !@#!@

i am almost done with this winter up here
                  Sent From The StoolBus

Appleton WI, 54915
                  1-920-284-7471

Comment

Originally posted by appletondrain View Post
                    I use my Spartan 758all year round due to its small size.

This is what I do in freezing temps.

I keep the unit about 15-20% above idle and have thepressure hose going back into the tank by the cap.

But I also pull onthe pressure off valve until I see a small stream of water coming from thereturn line from the unloader.

I had this plastic fitting and hose freeze on the way to ajob site when it was -10.

When I turned to bypass it sounded like a shot gun.

Keep in mind that moving water will not freeze. But you mustalso have ¾ to a full tank otherwise the low water shut off switch will getsloshed and turn off.

Also make sure you can blow out the fill hose at each job site.

Or keep a couple 100’ of hose you can keep in the warm truckso it doesn’t freeze.

this should be the pump if i remember?

http://www.giantpumps.com/applicatio...manuals/MP.pdf
                    Sent From The StoolBus

Appleton WI, 54915
                    1-920-284-7471

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

Rick.
                      So not fair. I just removed 2' of snow and had to chip 8" of ice to get to a crawl space
                      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Thanks guys! The threads weren't shot, waiting on the new plug and o-ring. Will fire it up then and hopefully all is well. T shirt? Whats that ??? Been wearing a hat,fleece lined pants, and two sweatshirts for far too long.

Comment

New plug and o-ring worked out fine. Thanks for all the info guys!

Comment

Working...
                          X