Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen sink smell HELP

Hello,

You have all helped in the past, and I am at a loss on this one. Kitchen sink is on an outside wall with a clean out. Cast-iron under ground. 1 1/2 pvc for drains Schedule 40. Bowl on right goes into 1 1/2 santee with disposal drain going into top of santee. p-trap right below. All with slope, open and clear. Drain has been cleared and camera ran down several times. All looks good for age. Vent goes up, but 90's over to a bathroom. Two story house with very steep roof. Customer has been complaining about smells in kitchen sink. We went out, snaked, flushed with jetter, it worked for a while, then came back. Disposal was about 18 years old, so I sold them a new one. They love the new disposal, but the smell is back again. I am thinking the next step is to smoke test the vent from the clean out on the outside to make sure that it is open all they way out through the roof. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Re: Kitchen sink smell HELP

Is there a dishwasher hose connected to the disposal knock out? Is it also connected to an air gap? Is the hose full of gunk that needs to be flushed out?

Try grinding up a couple trays of ice cubes. This will clean the inside of the disposal spalsh guard. Some water to help make a snow cone and flush it down.

Also try some bleach down the drain to kill the bacteria. Followed by hot water to wash it down and out.

Has to be something this side of the trap.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I hate it when I get dripped on from a dishwasher hose

Comment

You said cast iron underground. How about the waste arm in the wall
        and the vent stack itself? At what point does it go to PVC?
        I've seen many a copper waste arm rot out.

Comment

agree with Rick. Provided the trap seal is good, no air leaks around/through the pipe after the trap, then the smell is before the trap. I've had a few like Big Jim said - they rot in the wall, get holy, and the smell comes out.
          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Run a smoke test, with out one your just guessing. But if it's tubular pvc are all the Polly washers in every joint and if that's not it then your pretty much left with a rotted out vent.

Comment

remove the cap from the dishwasher airgap and take a sniff. the hose will get a layer of slime and it can wreak.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Thank You teachers. My guess was rotted out Galvy or C.I. in the wall . Grasshopper
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Drain dude View Post
                  Run a smoke test, with out one your just guessing.
                  You're guessing WITH a smoke test as it only shows you the current status of any air movements. Venting is dynamic according to internal and external pressures of the house and pipes. Unless you can run smoke for a full 24 hours and the smell occurs, it's not a valid test.
                  ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Working...
                  X