Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: drum vs sectionals

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
    Good point. Funny thing is I don't have a jetter, but I don't lie to myself about my capabilities with a cable because of it.
    anyway you will love a good sectional if your hands and wrists can hold up to them
    Glad someone brought this up.
    Running the K-60 is a chore retrieving the cable but the Eel and Drill seems to
    be eating up my hands and wrists. Carpel Tunnel most likely.

Is this just me or are sectionals that much harder on the hands.
    My cables are new and lubed but after years of working with my hands
    they seem to have accelerated the abuse.

Anyone else?

Comment

tell your buddy i'll also take 200' of 1.25'' for $300.00

I use 300 rpm for the heavy cutting and control of the cable. then i'll swap to high speed 1200 rpm for the pull back. this causes the cutter to jump all over the inside and stir things up that the slower speed missed. plus at that speed, not much is left on the cable other than roots.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by fixitright View Post
        Glad someone brought this up.
        Running the K-60 is a chore retrieving the cable but the Eel and Drill seems to
        be eating up my hands and wrists. Carpel Tunnel most likely.

Is this just me or are sectionals that much harder on the hands.
        My cables are new and lubed but after years of working with my hands
        they seem to have accelerated the abuse.

Anyone else?

Yes, sectionals are much harder on your body (hands, wrists, elbows, back, knees) as compared to sitting on a bucket running a drum machine with a power feed.

Drums are what I prefer but, for me, on the tougher jobs a sectional is much better than lugging a large full size drum machine in/out of van and up/down stairs. Plus the fact that the 1.25" inner core cable is beast

Being human we will differ on our preferences, also have different needs to get the job done correctly.

Chevy, Ford or Dodge ? Each will get you down the road...............
        Last edited by AssTyme; 03-23-2014, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sewermonster85 View Post
          Ok guys ..I was brought up on the model c while learning the trade 10 years ago.But for the last 5 I've been on my own and always owned a spartan 1065.My back is starting to act up and was considering the drill n eel set up.Any perks using the sectional in your eyes.I love the convenience of a drum but I like the torque of the eel..what's say u gents.
          Here's what interpreted reading this. I want to keep drain cleaning for a long time but have a bad back. Any suggestions?

Moving on....this is why I like jetting. If you don't want an alternative....stop reading now. It's the least labor intensive method there is and I plan on doing this for a long time. My 200' reel of jetter hose weighs about 40 lbs. My jetter cost? I could make the same setup for about 2k and keep it in the van. Plus the jetter head is self cleaning so you don't need to go back and forth to take roots off the business end. I understand the winter concern and would suggest to use a dreel, get them open and do a pm next fall with jetting would be my suggestion.

I've done too many jobs where I saw oak and pine roots (ficus is different)left behind because I had a 3" c/o for a 6" lateral. What about the expansion cutter you say? Cost almost as much or more then a root ranger. Why buy one?
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by fixitright View Post
            All this and Sewermonster just wanted to know if he should get a sectional!
            Now were portraying anyone without a Jetter is so 1960.

A good man with decent equipment can get the job done.

Our business models, needs, locations and economic and geographic areas are all different.
            Lets respect that and move on.
            You learn nothing when you all you hear is confirmation. Disagreement challenges what you think you know and causes you to be better. You want to cry about it, go back to the other forums I left because I got tired of your whining and crying.
            Last edited by gear junkie; 03-23-2014, 04:02 PM.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Gear

What you using to get your cart jetter in and off the truck with?
              Will Rogers Plumbing
              Moore, Oklahoma
              (
              405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
              http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

I have a klein block and tackle that hangs off a uni-strut frame. Literally takes 30 seconds to offload and 1 minute to load on the van. I used to have a crane but took it out to save space and installed a toolbox in it's place.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

You order it online? What's the lifting capacity for it?

Root Ranger the first nozzle you send in?
                  Will Rogers Plumbing
                  Moore, Oklahoma
                  (
                  405) 323-2852

Comment

Block & Tackle - 1802-30SSR | Klein Tools

If the line is completely blocked, I'll send in the a cable to get it open. Then the RR goes in. Look up the thread "how I jet" on phac and you'll see the video.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Nice, gonna order one
                      Will Rogers Plumbing
                      Moore, Oklahoma
                      (
                      405) 323-2852

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        Here's what interpreted reading this. I want to keep drain cleaning for a long time but have a bad back. Any suggestions?

Moving on....this is why I like jetting. If you don't want an alternative....stop reading now. It's the least labor intensive method there is and I plan on doing this for a long time. My 200' reel of jetter hose weighs about 40 lbs. My jetter cost? I could make the same setup for about 2k and keep it in the van. Plus the jetter head is self cleaning so you don't need to go back and forth to take roots off the business end. I understand the winter concern and would suggest to use a dreel, get them open and do a pm next fall with jetting would be my suggestion.
                        Exactly
                        I've done too many jobs where I saw oak and pine roots (ficus is different)left behind because I had a 3" c/o for a 6" lateral. What about the expansion cutter you say? Cost almost as much or more then a root ranger. Why buy one?
                        exactly

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          Here's where we part ways. Most clay I run into cleans up beautifully. After I get done jetting, you can't even see the roots. Most of the clay I run into was laid well....no offsets, or sags....just roots. If there are offsets or sags that cause a stoppage, I agree 100% for repair or replacement. Just speaking for my location, most sewer replacements are starting at 5k and go way up since there's clay in the street and that fall's into the responsibility of the homeowner. Let say the average cleaning cost 500 but last 2-3 years(mine do). It would take 20-30 years for the homeowner to spend that 5k(or way more). Do you know what will happen in 20-30 years? Are you still going to be around, will you be living in the same house, etc. OR do you know what you can do with 5K(+)right now? It's just a different thought and doesn't me right or you wrong or vice versa.
                          That's how markets differ. I would probably be doing exactly as you if in your location. Here, the market for replacement doesn't demand similar pricing. And the connection is in the yard before the curb.

Us replacing the line will cost more than your jetting, but not as much as quotes probably for your area. Meanwhile, some local jetting quotes can be similar to yours.

So I can present them with replacement and likely never calling a drain cleaner again for a "reasonably" higher price.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            If you get into area drains, like I do, a jetter is a must.

If you want the line spottless a jetter is a must.

If you have limited cleanout choices, a jetter is a must.

If you have long down hill runs, a jetter is a must.

If you want to clear lines that others can't, a jetter is a must.

if you want to get Into commercial cleaning, a jetter is a must.

If you want to spend serious money and in return make serious money, a jetter is a must.

If you don't believe me and othes that own a jetter, you don't want a jetter.

That's ok, my jetter doesn't mind being spoiled.

Rick.
                            As long as I been on this forum Rick you have been sprooking how great the K-60 sectional is but the above diatribe about how great a jetter is I`m starting to wonder why you would bother with the K-60 or have you been playing us for suckers all along

Tony
                            Last edited by AFM; 03-25-2014, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                              As long as I been on this forum Rick you have been sprooking how great the K-60 sectional is but the above diatribe about how great a jetter is I`m starting to wonder why you would bother with the K-60 or have you been playing us for suckers all along

Tony
                              The k60 is a great all around cable machine. Best universal machine out there. Easy to carry and easy to use. Did a stoppage yesterday from a 3" roof vent. Line dropped down 15' vertical then cleared at 75'. (15' vert., 60' horizontal). This would be a 6" clay line based on the distance to street. Pulled back roots and sanitary. So unless I camera the line and dig up a 4" cleanout in the front planter or concrete driveway, a jetter would be used to clean the 6", 4" and 3" lines.

Yes, nothing can clean as well as a jetter, especially in area drains that are full of roots, mud and debris. Cheap pipe buried under concrete and landscaping that a snake can't navigate or make the turns. No less wash out all the mud and debris. Those get jetted.

I do lots of preventative cleaning in condo buildings subterranean garages. This is 2"-6" cast iron/ no hub pipe. Jetting is the only way to clean and get the results I get. I can access a 2" cleanout and jet into 4" lines and bring back sludge and debris. Even if you could do a blade change for every pipe size, which is impossible, you still can't wash the debris back out of the pipe. All you can do is scrape it into the pipe and hope that it doesn't collect in the bottom of the pipe. Of course you have no way of knowing until you have a stoppage soon after. With jetting the debris are made soluble and wash back to my access point and collected in my rolling trash cans. What washes down stram is liquidfied and washes away.

It's very common for me to encounter 4 kitchen sink lines on a 2" horizontal run packed with grease and food or 8 kitchens on a 3" line. This is where a jetter really shines. Try that with a cable while up 8-12' in the air trying to clean a kitchen line packed with hard greas deposits that run 10'-40' before it joins a larger common line. The sludge that comes back would amaze you that it ever drained.

Yes a k60 is a great cable machine, but it can't compete with a properly sized jetter with the right hoses and nozzles.

Not everyone wants to pay the additonal cost for jetting. Just like not everyone wants to pay for a camera inspection.

Rick.
                              Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 03-25-2014, 07:46 AM.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X