K-1500 & Model C/Drill&Eel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-1500 & Model C/Drill&Eel

Seems the K60 is a very popular machine. Took me awhile to get one, but now I have had one over a year and I would never leave home with out it. The machine is so versatile, doesn't do it all for me, but close.

Anyway looks like most guys prefer the Model C or Drill and Eel over the K1500, why is that? Seems that if one like the K60, they would also like the K1500. Coriuous to why one would use one other the other and why.
    Will Rogers Plumbing
    Moore, Oklahoma
    (
    405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
    http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Re: K-1500 & Model C/Drill&Eel

The model c is pretty identical to the general model 82 or newer 88. I have 2 of them and its a great safe machine with plenty of power. But requires a 10' or longer landing strip.

The 1500 requires less space as the machine is not having to roll back and forth.

It comes down to a space issue in my van. The 82/ 88 folds up and takes up less room than my 1500.

But my timberwolf takes up next to no room, can run from a roof, a crawl space, indoors and still be used to drill holes.

Plus I use high and low speed to clean with. At 1200 rpm, it jumps around and cuts everything.

and it cost 75% less than the eel, general or 1500.

The drawback is the learing curve to master the drill setup. If you fail, you end up in the hospital. If you really fail bad, you end up 6' under.

Thats why you'll never see ridgid making cables or drill adapters for our stupidity.

But in perspective, a jetter can injure or kill much easier than the drill.

Whoever said drain cleaning is safe?

It's as safe as we make it. Learning from the school of hard knocks, might not be a wise idea.

So first time weekend warriors thinking they can hook a drill to a cable and clean their sewer, make sure you have a reliable helper that knows how to untangle a cable wrapped around your body, knows first aide and knows how to dial 911.

If you get over the fear and build up your experiance, the drill is the k60's big mean brother

Rick.
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 03-29-2014, 08:53 AM.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I use the Model C & Drill. I've never used the K1500 before to compare. One thing I like about the K60 is the ability to move the cable in and out of the drain as I clean easily. What I mean is as I fed the cable is for say 1-2' at a time, I pull the cable back as I continue to spin the cable. So basicly I do a push/pull method to really clean each section of pipe quickly and effectively. I can't do this with my Model C or Drill. THere more balls to the walls, and can only go in one direction. The Push/Pull method of cleaning as serve me extremy well and has got my attention as maybe a machine to add to my arsenal.
      Will Rogers Plumbing
      Moore, Oklahoma
      (
      405) 323-2852

Comment

Which cable is stronger, the Eel 7/8" or the Ridgid 7/8" ?

Pushing/pulling the 1.25" is not going to be as easy as the wimpy 7/8" even though it's hollow core. I've ran a 1500 and it's a workout.

Comment

No problem going in and out with the drill. In fact at 1200 rpm's, there's not much left to clean. But becautious at high rpm. Things can happen fast. Good thing is the drill will sllw down with the high speed and torque. If in doubt make the first forward pass slow speed and the retrieval pass in high speed.
          Of course if you have a sewer inspection with notes, then it's a no brainer where to concentrate your cleaning and where your fish are biting.

The 1500 and 82/88 hasn't been in my truck for a good 3 years.
          I keep about 147' of 1.25" innercore in the truck to accompany my 5/8" and 7/8" cables. All 3 get used, with the 7/8" my go to choice.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

With the drill or model c there is no hands on cable, so the push/push method I was talking about wouldn't not work. Maybe I'll make a video to show what I mean on the push/pull.
            Will Rogers Plumbing
            Moore, Oklahoma
            (
            405) 323-2852

Comment

I do exactly what you are describing with the 7/8 and 1.25 cable in my rothy R750 . Used to do it on the 1500. Its a workout with the 1.25" cables compared to 7/8.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                I do exactly what you are describing with the 7/8 and 1.25 cable in my rothy R750 . Used to do it on the 1500. Its a workout with the 1.25" cables compared to 7/8.
                So when and how often do you use 7/8 cable vs 1 1/4 cable?

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
                  With the drill or model c there is no hands on cable, so the push/push method I was talking about wouldn't not work. Maybe I'll make a video to show what I mean on the push/pull.
                  Please show a video as I am interested

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                    Which cable is stronger, the Eel 7/8" or the Ridgid 7/8" ?

Pushing/pulling the 1.25" is not going to be as easy as the wimpy 7/8" even though it's hollow core. I've ran a 1500 and it's a workout.
                    Are you using a dreel setup now

Comment

Thanks to all on the forum that have discussed the "drill and eel" setup. I finally used the set up today thru a roof vent !
                      Much easier than hauling the model c up onto the roof (almost flat roof). I only had to go 30 feet.
                      On a side note I bought a Root Ranger nozzle today and can't wait to try it out. I figured why not since the drill and eel set up worked that I have read about on the forum then maybe the Root Ranger just might be as effective as the forum members say it is also (lol)!

Comment

if you have a safe way to hold the rr in a vise, then pass a 2x4 in its path of devastation and watch the toothpicks fly off the 2x4.

there is 1 drawback. it doesn't penetrate well with a full root stoppage. not until you get the rear jet to the roots, it won't impress you. once that rear rotor makes contact with the stoppage/ roots, you'll kick yourself for not buying one years ago. be careful as the rootranger will devastate anything it comes into contact with. including your skin.

rick.
                        Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 04-07-2014, 10:24 PM. Reason: safe
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          if you have a safe way to hold the rr in a vise, then pass a 2x4 in its path of devastation and watch the toothpicks fly off the 2x4.

there is 1 drawback. it doesn't penetrate well with a full root stoppage. not until you get the rear jet to the roots, it won't impress you. once that rear rotor makes contact with the stoppage/ roots, you'll kick yourself for not buying one years ago. be careful as the rootranger will devastate anything it comes into contact with. including your skin.

rick.

Amen Rick. Absolute concentration and total respect when using the Root Ranger. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Comment

Good day all!
                            I have just purchased the Root Ranger nozzle and my jetter uses 3/8" hose with 3/8" fittings. I plan on using a pressure rated reducing adaptor. What are other Root Ranger nozzle users using if required to reduce to 1/4" ?
                            Your input is always taken with high regards.
                            Thanks

Comment

best bet is to buy a 1/4'' mip x 3/8'' fip hydraulic swivel connector. about $3.00 and this will make life simple. the swivel is your union and you won't have to screw with the root ranger on and off. same type of hydraulic fittings used on all the trailer jetting trailers.

or you could go to a hose shop and have them swap the hose end.

stick with idea #1 as you can then flip hoses end for end.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X