permit for catch basin rebuild

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• permit for catch basin rebuild

So here's my dilemma. I looked at a job today in the Roseland Pullman area . historical part of chicago.customer has a catch basin that is falling apart.I was trying to explain to her a couple of different options..1 eliminate it redirect the lines and fill it in.2 remove it in its intirety and fit a two piece basin new cookie and new lid .But she is sold on just rebuilding the bricks from top to 2 ft down and parge the whole basin.i Tried To Explain To Her For Any Of Those Options A Permit Is needed.she Spent An Hour Trying To convince me To Rebuild It And Parge It .She Said We Wont Need A Permit then.i Told Her We Still Need one.i Never Had A Customer Try to talk me out of getting a permit.And I couldn't figure out why...Well now I know why.....I seen the inside of her house and she's the biggest hoarder I've ever seen...she's scared about the city.. so my question to u guys would be ...do I need a permit to repair the walls of the basin ? Not doing anything with the piping just the walls.just so I don't sound crazy when I tell her again..lol

Re: permit for catch basin rebuild

I'd talk to your local inspector or local Dept of Building and Safety. Our codes and requirements are vastly different across the nation.

Also check out Source One. They have alot of products may work for your application.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by sewermonster85 View Post
      So here's my dilemma. I looked at a job today in the Roseland Pullman area . historical part of chicago.customer has a catch basin that is falling apart.I was trying to explain to her a couple of different options..1 eliminate it redirect the lines and fill it in.2 remove it in its intirety and fit a two piece basin new cookie and new lid .But she is sold on just rebuilding the bricks from top to 2 ft down and parge the whole basin.i Tried To Explain To Her For Any Of Those Options A Permit Is needed.she Spent An Hour Trying To convince me To Rebuild It And Parge It .She Said We Wont Need A Permit then.i Told Her We Still Need one.i Never Had A Customer Try to talk me out of getting a permit.And I couldn't figure out why...Well now I know why.....I seen the inside of her house and she's the biggest hoarder I've ever seen...she's scared about the city.. so my question to u guys would be ...do I need a permit to repair the walls of the basin ? Not doing anything with the piping just the walls.just so I don't sound crazy when I tell her again..lol
      According to the Hammond, Ind. web site schedule of fees, you need a permit for interceptors, separators, and pits of any type:

http://www.gohammond.com/web/downloa...171c3e599615c7

It's just a question of how much they will charge.

Also from their site:

Plumbing Inspector

The Plumbing Inspector performs inspections of new or remodeled water, drainage, waste, vent and sewage systems to ensure plans, materials and work quality meet plumbing code standards. They also advise contractors, plumbers and the general public on plumbing codes, installations and requirements to receive permits.

This line of work requires extensive knowledge of materials and practices used in making plumbing installations, a $5,000 license/permit bond, recorded by the Lake County Recorder, Certificate of insurance with Workers Compensation and $100 for processing fees. A State Plumbing license is required to perform any plumbing work in the City.

Plumbing permit fees are determined by the number of fixtures, water service, sewer tap and public right of way openings. The minimum permit fee is $45 this includes the first 3 fixtures, each fixture then after is $15, each water service is $25, each building or storm sewer, sewer tap or to open any street, alley, public right of way or any other public property is $50.
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I would not risk my Drain Layers license, get the permit. Chicago is cracking down on unpermitted work.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        Ron's Facebook
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
          I would not risk my Drain Layers license, get the permit. Chicago is cracking down on unpermitted work.
          No sir not at all....I don't mess around.i think u and I are one of the few who actually call in the permit for sewer rodding.I was doing a job in Cal city and inspector rolled up on me asked me what I was doing...I told him rodding a main then I'm going to camera the line..He asked where's your permit?I said I just called it in go ahead n check.he said now there giving out 750$ fines over a 25$ phone permit...this is nuts..I don't even want to deal with lady...seems like we're not in sync. ..lol no pun intended.

Comment

I you can not come to a working agreement on how to proceed, and do ethically, tell her to find some one else, as Mark has on his sig line,

"I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!"
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Here in Seattle it would be a repair an no permit would be needed if no piping was changed at all.
              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I don't mind getting one.all my sewer repairs get permits and inspections ...I try to do it by the book.but she insists on not getting one and I'm not dumb enough to do it without one..I told her that I was no longer interested...I told her if u want to take the chance hire a flyer by nighter or handyman and best of luck...and hope your neighbors don't call on u.

Comment

Originally posted by sewermonster85 View Post
                  I don't mind getting one.all my sewer repairs get permits and inspections ...I try to do it by the book.but she insists on not getting one and I'm not dumb enough to do it without one..I told her that I was no longer interested...I told her if u want to take the chance hire a flyer by nighter or handyman and best of luck...and hope your neighbors don't call on u.
                  I think I'd set an appointment with this lady and the Building Official to discuss what she wants to do without a permit. You won't be doing the work anyway. But she will have a permit, one way or another.

Comment

Working...
                  X