X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drain cleaning cable stuck

I have two rigid drain cleaners and never had this problem. I was cleaning out an old cast iron sewer drain and I believe I ran into a break in the pipe. When I got deep into the clog the cable got stuck. I've tried everything I can think of but I still have about 100' of cable stuck in this drain. Any ideas??? This particular drain is 40 years old and sections have been deteorating over the past few years.

CONGRATULATIONS, SOONER OR LATER EVERONE GETS STUCK.
    DEPENDING ON YOUR CABLE SIZE, CUTTER CHOICE, AND CAUSE OF STOPPAGE.A LARGER CABLE WILL GIVE YOU MORE TORQUE. A SMALLER CUTTER OR NO CUTTER CAN GET STUCK MUCH EASIER. AN AUGER/ RETRIVER CAN FIND ITS WAY OUT OF A CRACK. ROOTS WILL GIVE YOU A FIGHT IF YOU BLEW THROUGH THEM. HARD TO BRING A 6'' ROOT BALL BACK OUT OF A 3'' CLEANOUT. YOU MIGHT OR MIGHT NOT GET OUT. ARE YOU ABLE TO GO FOWARD ANY. WITH 100' IN YOU WILL HAVE A LOT OF SPRING IN THE CABLE. YOU CAN TRY REVERSE AND SEE IF THE CABLE WILL LOOSEN UP. IS THE LINE FLOWING? IF SO TRY RUNNING LIQUID SOAP TO LUBE THE CABLE AND CUTTER.
    YOU MIGHT NEED TO RUN A LOCATOR TO FIND THE PIPE AND CABLE END AND DIG THIS ONE UP.
    WOULD'NT SPEND MORE THAN 2 HOURS FIGHTING IT. KNOCK ON WOOD IT'S BEEN 3 YEARS SINCE I COULDN'T GET OUT. WISH ME LUCK. GOOD LUCK TO YOU.
    RICK

Comment

I have got a few stuck in lines myself....I finally came to the conclusion that a machine is only for small root problems...We should leave teh larger ones to a backhoe....Your gonna have to dig it up friend...Goodluck

Comment

You don't mention which cable, size of cable, size of drain or even which machine you are using. I will assume you are useing a 1¼" cable and a K-1500 machine and are into a 4" sewer.
        From what you say, it sounds like you may be "threaded" into the crack of this sewer pipe.
        You could also just be "threaded into a large ball of roots. If this is a sewer that you have cleaned in the past, you would know which of the above you are into by the time between need for cleaning and you would know the condition of the cable as it emerged from the sewer in past cleanings.
        By using a series of reverse and forward wind-ups, I have always been able to free the cable and retrieve it. Let me say also that doing this is hard on the equipment and can be dangerous to the operator so be VERY aware of the end of the cable in the machine. In the process of applying "super-torque" to the cable, you may find that on release, the cable is pulled into the sewer cleanout and you will have to wind into it to retreive it. Bottom line is this.......Unless you break the cable, you should be able to work it free. If you were in forward when you got it stuck, you should be in reverse to get it "unstuck".
        If by chance you were using a machine or cable any smaller than the 1¼" and the k-1500, call for a backhoe or get your shovel out.
        Dave

Comment

I agree that you should not spend more than a few additional hours trying to free the cable. If the line is that bad it really should be repaired. If after a few hours of working the cable you are still hung up you really need to put a locator on the cable and dig up where it is stuck. That way you can repair the bad section of pipe and retrieve your cable in one piece.

If you have a back hoe there already ask your customer to consider an entire new line. It won't cost that much more and you won't have to worry about another section of line collapsing a week after you made a repair. Even though that wouldn't be your fault I promise most customers will scream bloody murder if you have that happen.

I assume you already know to have all utility lines located before you dig. Be careful when you are working the cable as sometimes it can tie itself into a knot just outside the cleanout and break a finger or hand in the process. Good luck and hopefully the cable breaks free and you avoid digging a big hole.

One other thing: If you must dig; Over 100 plumbers and laborers were killed in these United States last year due to trench collapses, many more were seriously injured. Don't take safe trenching and shoring measures lightly. When the ground falls you won't have time to move and rescue usually means recovery.
          Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Working...
          X