Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power spin care question

Hi All,
    Okay, so I'm using the power spin drain cleaner to clean out the sewage mess backup that I have. The question is, how do I clean/care for this big long coil once I'm finished? Obviously, I need to clean it and maybe oil it or something before I put it away. It seems to me that I don't want to coil this ick covered coil back into the drum thing without cleaning it, but the instructions that came with this product don't mention anything about care/cleaning. What to do?
    Thanks for your advice,
    Tracey

Ah yes, a messy conundrum indeed.

There several brands of Snake oils that are used to keep the cables lubricated and prevent rusting. I always used a garden hose to spray off the loose nastiness then about once every two weeks or so would use a pressure washer to really clean the cables and inside the drum well. After the pressure cleaning I applied a very liberal amount of snake oil to the cables of my equipment. Store in a well ventillated area if possible.
    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

THE POWER SPIN TOOL YOU MENTIONED COMES WITH A 1/4'' X 25' LONG CABLE. THE BEST ADVICE FOR ANY SMALL CABLE OF THIS SORT IS TO REMOVE IT FROM THE DRUM AND SHAKE IT OUT LIKE A LASSOU?, WHIPPING MOTION. THIS WILL SHAKE OFF ANY LOOSE DEBRIS. IF THE CABLE HAS GREASE FROM A KITCHEN OR DRAIN CLEANER ON IT IT SHOULD BE HOSED OFF AND THEN WHIPPED DRY. I ALWAYS STORE THESE SMALL CABLES OUT OF THE DRUM. I DON'T BELIEVE YOUR MACHINE HAS ACCESS TO THE INSIDE OF THE DRUM FOR CLEANING. ANOTHER REASON TO KEEP IT DRY AND CLEAN. SOMETIMES IT IS BEST IF THE CABLE IS VERY GREASY IS TO PULL THE CABLE BACK OUT OF THE DRAIN INTO A 5 GALLON BUCKET. THIS WAY ALL THE MUCK CAN BE CLEANED OFF WITHOUT GOING INTO THE DRUM. IF YOU DO THIS AFTER EACH USE I,VE FOUND THERE IS NO NEED FOR OIL WHEN STORED OUTSIDE OF THE DRUM. IT ALSO ALLOWS YOU TO LOAD THE CORRECT CABLE INTO THE DRUM AS NEEDED FOR THE TYPE OF STOPPAGE.
      DRAIN OIL AS PLUMBER SAID IS A GREAT IDEA FOR A LARGE CABLE MACHINE.I DRY AND OIL THE CABLE WITH PROPER CARE AS IT IS BEING RETRIEVED INTO THE DRUM OF THESE LARGER MACHINES. WITH THE PROPER GLOVES THIS CAN BE DONE SAFELY. IE: 50'-100' CABLE. 3/8''-3/4''. THESE ARE TOO MEASY AND DIFFICULT TO REMOVE FROM DRUM AFTER EACH USE.

[ 03-14-2005, 02:35 AM: Message edited by: PLUMBER RICK ]

Comment

Re: power spin care question

Originally posted by Tracey View Post
        Hi All,
        Okay, so I'm using the power spin drain cleaner to clean out the sewage mess backup that I have. The question is, how do I clean/care for this big long coil once I'm finished? Obviously, I need to clean it and maybe oil it or something before I put it away. It seems to me that I don't want to coil this ick covered coil back into the drum thing without cleaning it, but the instructions that came with this product don't mention anything about care/cleaning. What to do?
        Thanks for your advice,
        Tracey

Hi Tracey welcome.

Normally when using a small machine the the power spin as I an snaking the line I use hot water and detergent as I I use the snake.

This way the hot water will help move the debris down stream and also cleans the cable.

As I retract the cable I used a folded rag to hold the cable slightly as to help remove any residue grease and also helps dry the snake.

At this point I either use WD 40 on the snake or wait until the entire wire is back then put some WD 40 in the drum and let it stay there until the next time I have to use the machine.

Also I would not use this extremely light duty machine for "sewerage" and only use it for 11/4" - 11/2" lines

Comment

Before this thread gets too involved it seems Tracey only made one post a year and a half ago so it is quite likely he will not see any additional replies. It may be a better idea to start a new thread regarding cable care.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

There are many things and product cleaning drains. If you are using power spin drain cleaner or auto spin, you should know about it at all. That’s why i prefer to call plumbers

Comment

Originally posted by molly123 View Post
              There are many things and product cleaning drains. If you are using power spin drain cleaner or auto spin, you should know about it at all. That’s why i prefer to call plumbers

Arent you a plumber???
              The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Hey Tracey,Advances and retrieves the drain cleaning cable with the simple push of a lever keeping you and the work area clean!
                -The Guide Hose Gives you the ability to get to those hard to reach areas. The Guide Hose will completely contain the rotating cable which eliminates cleanup and protects your fixtures.
                -Rugged Impact & Rust Resistant Housing Made of a rugged material that won't rust or dent ensuring the longer life of your Auto-Spin
                -HandleWith integrated AUTOFEED holder so your Auto-Spin is easy to transport and store
                -ON/OFF/REV Switch
                -ALCI Protected Plug
                -The 6 foot power cord gives you a generous reach while adding the safety of an integral ALCI plug.
                - Foot BulbControlling the ON/OFF operation with the foot bulb frees up your hands giving you optimal control.
                -MAXCORE Cable 30 foot cable with an inner core for increased strength and longer life.

Comment

Originally posted by nautica View Post
                  Hey Tracey,Advances and retrieves the drain cleaning cable with the simple push of a lever keeping you and the work area clean!
                  -The Guide Hose Gives you the ability to get to those hard to reach areas. The Guide Hose will completely contain the rotating cable which eliminates cleanup and protects your fixtures.
                  -Rugged Impact & Rust Resistant Housing Made of a rugged material that won't rust or dent ensuring the longer life of your Auto-Spin
                  -HandleWith integrated AUTOFEED holder so your Auto-Spin is easy to transport and store
                  -ON/OFF/REV Switch
                  -ALCI Protected Plug
                  -The 6 foot power cord gives you a generous reach while adding the safety of an integral ALCI plug.
                  - Foot BulbControlling the ON/OFF operation with the foot bulb frees up your hands giving you optimal control.
                  -MAXCORE Cable 30 foot cable with an inner core for increased strength and longer life.
                  HMMMM A "plumber" that has an huge useless vocabulary that nobody really understands and that speaks on the benefits on the biggest POS that Ridgid ever made? Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Silvia Tiger anyone?
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

looks like someone left the manhole cover off and a troll popped up

steve
                    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X