Dreel Drill choices

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dreel Drill choices

For the Dreel users, which drill are you using and more importantly, why do you use that particular drill. I have used both my old black and decker timberwolf and my Milwaukee hole hawg. Both spin at 300 rpm in low gear and 1200 rpm in high gear. I prefer the timberwolf, but it finally died a couple weeks ago and it needs parts that Dewalt no longer makes. The reason I prefer the timberwolf is that it is more comfortable in my hands when using the side handle. The Hole Hawg also performs very well, but does not feel as comfortable in my hands, especially on long runs. It is murder on my wrists! I am considering 3 different drills as a replacement: the Milwaukee super hawg, the makita DA4031 (makita's version of the timberwolf), and the ridgid R7122 (the new version of Gene's famed Edith). The ridgid has a triple gear train just like the timberwolf style drills, but the does not have a slip clutch. I have found that the cable will bind up before the slip clutch engages , so I am not too worried about that with the ridgid. For $169 I figure it's worth a try. What have you all found in your experiences? -Chris

what parts are no longer made?
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

The brush armature and something else. It's dead. I got my money's worth out of it many times over

Comment

new timberwolfs are still made by dewalt.

superhawg is a beast. hole hawg is not comfortable.

i like the right angle drills/ timberwolf.

very true, the clutch is pretty much useless with a cable. it has never slipped.

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I first ran the Timberwolf and found it off balance/awkward, heavy. Then went with the Holehawg, well balanced but tired of the low RPM and heavy weight. Was going the get the R7122 but ran across the Makita DS4011 which is basically the same drill but with a forward/reverse rocker switch that was the deal breaker. This drill has a little less ballage but is half the weight of the others.

I've been running it around a year now 3 to 5 times per week and love it so much I recently bought another for a backup after selling my Milwaukee.

http://www.makitatools.com/en-us/Mod...px?Name=DS4011

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Makita-DS401...vip=true&rt=nc

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
            I first ran the Timberwolf and found it off balance/awkward, heavy. Then went with the Holehawg, well balanced but tired of the low RPM and heavy weight. Was going the get the R7122 but ran across the Makita DS4011 which is basically the same drill but with a forward/reverse rocker switch that was the deal breaker. This drill has a little less ballage but is half the weight of the others.

I've been running it around a year now 3 to 5 times per week and love it so much I recently bought another for a backup after selling my Milwaukee.

http://www.makitatools.com/en-us/Mod...px?Name=DS4011

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Makita-DS401...vip=true&rt=nc
            I have looked at the Makita as well. The only thing I don't like about it is that the extra handle can only go in the top. I'd really like it on the side. Are you holding the drill sideways with the extra handle kinda like a bike? That doesn't seem like it would be very comfortable to me. The Ridgid doesn't have the rocker switch, but the directional change switch is in a pretty easy spot to hit with your index finger...

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post

I have looked at the Makita as well. The only thing I don't like about it is that the extra handle can only go in the top. I'd really like it on the side. Are you holding the drill sideways with the extra handle kinda like a bike? That doesn't seem like it would be very comfortable to me. The Ridgid doesn't have the rocker switch, but the directional change switch is in a pretty easy spot to hit with your index finger...

Yes, fits like a glove, I'm always working a spot in forward/reverse so the rocker is a huge plus to me.

Comment

Working...
              X