k 60 for mains

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• k 60 for mains

I've been going back and forth about getting rid of my drum machine back can't handle anymore I was just wondering if you can use the 60 everyday use for Main lines4 inch to 6 inch on a daily basis

or is it the drill an electric eel set up better

Comment

Originally posted by sewermonster85 View Post
      I've been going back and forth about getting rid of my drum machine back can't handle anymore I was just wondering if you can use the 60 everyday use for Main lines4 inch to 6 inch on a daily basis
      Short answer... Yes
      sigpic

Comment

It took me a full year to remove my k7500 drum from my truck while I was testing the k60. That was probably 7 years ago. The k60 will do 90-95 % of what I run into. The drill will handle the real stubborn 6" roots and my jetter will fill the void for anything and everything. Im spoiled as I also carry the k50, but the k60 will also run the 5/8" sectional k50 cables.

the great thing with sectionals is the ability to free up room, weight and accessibility to the drain locations. From roofs to basement to tight side yards, the k60 fits. I sold a k60 to a new shop 2 years ago. He know has 3 and has dumped his drums. if he runs into trouble, he calls me for the jetter or the drill or camera. But with the amount of calls he handles, he doesn't call me often. Although I do have 2 camera inspections for him this week

If in doubt, keep them both on the truck till you feel confident and then dump the drum.

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          Short answer... Yes
          I put the heavy Mytana drum machine away Jan.2013. I am 62 years old and just can't haul all that weight up and down stairways. Most jobs are 6" clay sewers with basement c.o. With 3 1/2 " openings. K60 with spiral root saw is the only way to go for me!

Comment

• sewermonster85
            sewermonster85 commented
            Editing a comment
            U just described my everyday situation my friend.

Kinda depends? What's your current access point to clean a sewer?
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

• sewermonster85
            sewermonster85 commented
            Editing a comment
            Pulling toilet s or 3 1/2" to 4" clean out on soil stacks..sometimes I get spoiled and get a cleanout...or a catch basin

The k60 is ok in shorter runs of 6". For me it struggles in longer runs over 100'. It will cut roots, but will take a lot longer to open and clear lines that have very heavy roots. Look at it this way: the k60 is the sectional equivalent to a spartan 300. It can get most jobs done, but may take longer and require you to be a bit more cautious. The Dreel or a K1500 is the equivalent to a Spartan 1065 in terms of power. I have both and go to the Dreel or my Rothenberger R750 with 1.25 cables for any line that is actively stopped up or over 120'. I use the 7/8" sectional for maintenance rod outs and and shorter runs or anything in a finished area. I use both a lot. The ridgid sectionals still wear on your back a little (though the 7/8" cable is much easier on the back than the 1.25" cable). The Dreel can be rough on the wrists though. The Dreel is my choice for heavy roots all day.

Comment

• sewermonster85
            sewermonster85 commented
            Editing a comment
            Are the 7/8" cables inner core? Like the 1 1/4" eels?

• PLUMBER RICK
            PLUMBER RICK commented
            Editing a comment
            Ridgid makes a c-10ic cable thats innercore with a floating plastic core. Standard non innercore cable is c-10. I only run the first section/ 15' with innercore.

General makes a spring innercore and so does eel.

Rick.

• Swade Plumbing
            Swade Plumbing commented
            Editing a comment
            The general inner core cables are heavier. I have been having trouble with the pin connectors on the ridgid cables lately

SHORT ANSWER: SORTA ...........

What do you run into. Most of my lines are 100' or longer.
          Most of my lines are older, root infested with offsets.

A K-60 will do some of them, with enough "time" most of them
          but no where near all of them.

If it was the perfect, do all machine we would not hear all the
          talk of Drill and Eel and all the up-selling of Jetters.

I own and use a K-60 but when I hear from the homeowner
          of roots cleaned two or more years back or have measured
          the line and see it's over 75', OUT COMES THE DRILL AND EEL.

You want a work out? Try pulling back roots 100' - 150' several
          times because you don't want to (can't) load it up with roots as you
          have to pick and peck your way in and out.

Remember, your the retriever, not the K-60.

Now don't get me wrong, I will be using the K-60 tomorrow on a
          yearly maintenance run on a 60' line. I use it where I know there's
          paper buildup. It has it's place but again it's not for heavy roots
          or long runs.

Now this is MY opinion. I have no bias, I'm only out there to make money.
          Others may disagree. So what's new!

Comment

• sewermonster85
            sewermonster85 commented
            Editing a comment
            Most mains average 70 to 100' max...4" c I underground in the house then turns into 6 " clay outside.or if the house is real old it transitions to 6" clay below the soil stack.Most mains 100'+ I give them a referral.

• Swade Plumbing
            Swade Plumbing commented
            Editing a comment
            A k60 with innercore cables will probably do most of your jobs just fine if you seldom go over 100'

• cheesehead plumber
            cheesehead plumber commented
            Editing a comment
            What brand of 1 1/4 cables do you use?

^^ I agree with Fixit. If I had to use the K60 for 5-7 jobs in a day, forget it. I'd be worn out. On your knees and only using your arms and shoulders. Since I do 2 jobs a day then the k60 is no problem. Personally I think a jetter is needed for roots in 4"-6".
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Ive done as many as 32- 60' prevantative runs in a day, but typically those aren't stopped up. A drum machine would be tight access in the garage locations.
            A drum is fast if you have easy access ground level. But anything out of that, my sectional is fast and light weight. Today I had my k60, 90' of cable, rm200, cs6, gloves, power cable and cart all transported at 1 time by me. No second trip back and forth.

of course a jetter pulled by a trailer is about as easy as it gets just transporting jetting hose to the c/o.

then keep in mind a sectional cable is more flexible, and cleans better. Anyone that doesn't believe that, doesn't own a sectional too. Remember its not just the cutter cleaning a line, it's the cable too.

Rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

or is it the drill an electric eel set up better

If it's one or the other go with the Eel.

Comment

My cousin has the eel. But still and only will use the model c.i asked him where's your drill and he had no idea what I was talking about.i showed him a couple YouTube videos and the dudes in shock..lol

Comment

• Swade Plumbing
                  Swade Plumbing commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If your cousin has an eel, maybe you could borrow his or sub the really nasty ones to him?
                  Have you considered downsizing to a spartan 300? Much lighter and will do as much as a k60 will do with patience and skill (sounds like you have plenty of both)

Originally posted by cheesehead plumber View Post
                I put the heavy Mytana drum machine away Jan.2013. I am 62 years old and just can't haul all that weight up and down stairways. Most jobs are 6" clay sewers with basement c.o. With 3 1/2 " openings. K60 with spiral root saw is the only way to go for me!

How long are you spending on these jobs and what are you using as a finishing bit when in a 6" line ?

Comment

• cheesehead plumber
                  cheesehead plumber commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I spend about an hour and half on 6" lines,because of 3-3 1/2" c.o. openings I can only finish with the 3" spiral root saw.

My cousin has the eel. But still and only will use the model c.i asked him where's your drill and he had no idea what I was talking about.i showed him a couple YouTube videos and the dudes in shock..lol

I sold my Model C last Friday. Also sold my 3 year old 1.25" cables to him and bought new ones.

Comment

I think you could probably do just fine with either a k60 or a spartan 300. Might take a longer than your 1065 on the nasty ones, but you can get them done. I can speak from personal experience on the k60 and Ron has mentioned numerous times that most of the guys out in Elgin use the spartan 300 for jobs just like the ones you've described.

Comment

• sewermonster85
                    sewermonster85 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    U said it before I could buddy.my cousin gets the longer runs.its a workout trying to feed 100+' In a 1065.feed in the first 100 ".then add more cable in the drum.then pull out the added cable, put it back in the spare tire.pull out the other 100' .pull the machine up the darn stairs.thrn load it on the truck.wooo...I'm tired just thinking a bout it.
                Working...
                X