No announcement yet.

k 60 for mains

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another thought. The k60 will surely get nearly all of the lines open, once open a jetter Would be easy to do a good finish cleaning. There is a guy in michigan that has not been on the forum lately that uses the k60 get the line flowing, then comes back with his cart jetter. He does lines 4"-6" just like you too

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post

How long are you spending on these jobs and what are you using as a finishing bit when in a 6" line ?
      "I spend about an hour and half on 6" lines,because of 3-3 1/2" c.o. openings I can only finish with the 3" spiral root saw."

Here are some shots after running a General 3" root saw in a 6" line. I always give customer option of running 4"x6" expansion blades although most don't want to pay for it.

Comment

What's the reason behind charging more for a different cutter? Piece of equipment I can see but a cutter?
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

• Swade Plumbing
          Swade Plumbing commented
          Editing a comment
          Time yes. Also keep in mind that eel expanding cutter is about $200 from AJC

• AssTyme
          AssTyme commented
          Editing a comment
          I wish it was $200.00, they are $300.00.

• Swade Plumbing
          Swade Plumbing commented
          Editing a comment
          I didn't realize that they were that much. I rarely can get that beast into a 3" or 4" stack Cleanout and make the turn at the base of the stack into the lateral, especially if it is a Tee on its back (which it is a LOT of the time around here)

You need one of these
        Attached Files
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        Ron's Facebook
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

• Swade Plumbing
          Swade Plumbing commented
          Editing a comment
          Ratz, I was using the R750 with my eel cables and something jammed in the shaft. Now the rear bearing loosens up every time I use it. The eel cables are true 1-1/4" in diameter. The Rothenberger and Ridgid cables are more like 1-3/16". Small difference but without the extra clearance the machine was vibrating a lot and caused something to loosen. I'm sure I'll be down and out for a while. Parts for the R750 are a pain to get and take forever.

BTW, I agree and have said before on here that Ridgid would do well to make a more compact version of the 1500 again like the old lowboy, but lighter. Or an improved version of the R750. The best part of the R 750 is that you use one set of jaws for both 7/8" and 1-14" cables.
          Last edited by Swade Plumbing; 05-15-2014, 09:06 AM.

• SewerRatz
          SewerRatz commented
          Editing a comment
          Only reason I am using the Rothenberger is I am still working out of a car. I have the K50 with 75 foot of cable a K40B the R750 with two rands with a total of 120 foot of cable. Plus two toolboxes all in the trunk of a 2000 Chevy Impala

• Swade Plumbing
          Swade Plumbing commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice! Word to the wise: do not use the eel cables in your R750. Recco managed to get me back up and running without any parts. I need to get me some more C11's and C14's

remember that the 1500 will also spin the 7/8'' cable with a simple jaw change if needed. and also i doubled up on the k6o a month ago to bail out a friend that was stuck in a 6'' line. the biggest issue with 6'' lines is having the proper access to get the largest cutter in to clean it fully. a jetter is a simple way to clean it 100%. i camered a line for a buddy today and the 6'' line was partially plugged. gave him the footage mark to concentrate on and even let him borrow a full 4'' shark tooth cutter. he pre bent his 7/8'' leader to whip and tried to concentrate on my footage mark, but when i camered the line again it punched a good hole, but left a good mass of roots behind. 4'' cutter on a offset cable still didn't clean the line properly. i'll be going there with my jetter next week.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I bought a K 60 the first year it changed from a suitcase to the new type, along with general cables and ridgid heads and an adaptor for eel heads. It had plenty of power and I used it instead of my 1.25 ridgid and eel machines, I used it for about two years then switched to a drum I hook eel 1.25 cables to the front if I get in to mush or need extra length. The K 60 had the power but had to be taken apart and cleaned daily it would gunk up in back and burn the bearing, I sent it back to Ridgid and they retrofitted it with grease fittings, but it still needed daily cleanings, went with the General copy and it had no power,using the K 60 I got asked a lot if I had a bigger machine I could put down, I told them it may be small but it was all power. lost a few customers over it even thaw it would clean just as good if not better, but that did not satisfy them and with the high maintenance I switched to my Ridgid Drum with 3/4 " cable, I tried the 5/8 it was a lot lighter but they broke to easy, My son helps me but in planing for if he quiets or I quiet I will probable ether carry the cable separate in a tire or use my Ridgid 1.25 machine with eel cable as the general 7/8 inner cable rust off and are not connected or replaceable like the eel. cable. I don't know if they fixed the problem with the K 60 or not. But as I plan on drilling till I am in the ground, it is something I think about too.

Comment

Purchased a k-60SP-SE package 3 months ago & love it. Light, compact & portable, especially for hilly Wellington & it goes around plastic P & S gully traps with ease. Find myself sometimes grabbing it over my jetter - Highly recommend.

Comment

K60 will handle your 3" and 4" mains just fine. I used to carry so many sewer machine on my truck when I was doing mostly just sewer work. Now I have a K60 with 7/8" & 5/8" cable, a K45, and K-6 Closet Auger, and Plunger. I can clean pretty much anything residentially with that set up. I can go back to the shop and get my drill/model c or big gorlitz as well as numerous other machines if needed, but that is rare. If the K60 can't get it, I usaly come back with the Mini Ex.
              Will Rogers Plumbing
              Moore, Oklahoma
              (
              405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
              http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
                K60 will handle your 3" and 4" mains just fine. I used to carry so many sewer machine on my truck when I was doing mostly just sewer work. Now I have a K60 with 7/8" & 5/8" cable, a K45, and K-6 Closet Auger, and Plunger. I can clean pretty much anything residentially with that set up. I can go back to the shop and get my drill/model c or big gorlitz as well as numerous other machines if needed, but that is rare. If the K60 can't get it, I usaly come back with the Mini Ex.

You have to be fricken kidding me, or got a hold of some bad drugs....
                Last edited by AssTyme; 05-30-2014, 07:48 AM.

Comment

• Swade Plumbing
                  Swade Plumbing commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If it's 4" and the K60 can't get it open, I'd tend to agree with Will that it's probably best to repair.
                  6" is another story though...

Originally posted by DATS View Post
                Purchased a k-60SP-SE package 3 months ago & love it. Light, compact & portable, especially for hilly Wellington & it goes around plastic P & S gully traps with ease. Find myself sometimes grabbing it over my jetter - Highly recommend.
                Welcome to the forum Dats. Another new member that loves the k60. And another memeber that I didn't know before this post. But then again we're only 7 people separated. And I was there in 2010. So maybe we are brothers from a different mother.

josh, can it be a new trend with new members first post bragging about the k60. 2 in 1 week, not a coincidence.

Rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Why does this smell of the age old - Sectional VS Drum saga.

Or better yet = My dog is bigger than your dog?

Comment

Not exactly sectional vs drum, more like can the little kid (K-60 or Spartan 300) keep pace with the big boys (KDrill-1500/Eel Model C-Drill/Rothenberger R750).
                    In California where the mains are all 4" to 6" for a short run of 30' or so, I can see the K-60 being ok. But in a long run of 6" 100' or longer, the K60 struggles in heavy roots.
                    I agree about the maintenance. I have a K60SP that I got used out of Florida on ebay and I have gone through 4 sets of bearings in 4 years.

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
                      PLUMBER RICK commented
                      Editing a comment
                      i would swap out to a better bearing. there are several different styles of bearings from 15.00 to 60.00. some are designed for water and are sealed. some are not as good. also belt tension and gunk can kill bearings. of course bearings that retain water in freezing weather will be an issue too. my original used rental machine only changed bearings 2 times with thousands of uses. my new machine still has it's original bearings and it's 2 years old now. but i don't see freezing weather either.

Rick.

• Swade Plumbing
                      Swade Plumbing commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I've tried a couple different kinds including sealed bearings. The freezing weather here is murder on them.

"If it's 4" and the K60 can't get it open, I'd tend to agree with Will that it's probably best to repair.
                    6" is another story though... "

I'll respectfully disagree unless you have several hours to play with a line

Comment

• Swade Plumbing
                      Swade Plumbing commented
                      Editing a comment
                      From the guy who has never used a K-60....but I digress....
                      The K60 is money in 4", just about everything in my area is 6" outside though.
                      Seriously, if you are going to spend 5-6 hours to open up a line that has that many roots in it, you're about 1/3-1/2 of the way to a cleanout/repair (depending on depth). And if it's that plugged up, why not just eliminate the problem or at least part of it ?

Had a call from my cousin today..he's on a flat roof rodding a main using the model c an 1.25 cable and couldn't pop the line.i pull up drag out the spartan 1065 and hit it from the basement overhead sewer. Drilled a hole in the plug drained the water out ran 58' of cable line popped open.i gu3ss the extra 20 'from the roof made that much difference on the stopage? I don't know.the model c is a beast..couldn't understand y it wouldn't open.now on the other hand the model c has opened up plenty of lines that the 1065 couldnt...I guess it means that every machine has its purpose. ..I still would like a k 60...lightweight and powerful.i see one in the near future .just need to get up to that 2k mark and get the whole shebang. I'll post pics soon as I get it.

Comment

• Swade Plumbing
                      Swade Plumbing commented
                      Editing a comment
                      was he using the Heavy Duty cables with the 5/8" innercore? those do not like making turns in 4" CI, especially if it was a tee on its back in the basement or even a combo.

I got my Rothy R750 back yesterday. Used it today. Sooooo glad to have that puppy back in the truck

• sewermonster85
                      sewermonster85 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yep swade. ..right on the money.

Cheers for the welcome Rick. Love the board & reading everyones opinions & experiences before spending up on new toys.

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
                      PLUMBER RICK commented
                      Editing a comment
                      glad to have you here. you might be the first from n.z. have several from your neighbors in australia. do you guys do a lot of jetting or snaking in n.z. 4 years ago i was getting set to jump from the bridge in queenstown and a shopkeeper at a local winery recognized my ridgid seesnake shirt. before they bought the winery, they were doing camera inspections. small world.

out of curiosity what does a k-60 with a cage of 7/8''- 22mm? cable cost in n.z.? out here it's about 1600- 1700. usd. might be a good opportunity to go on vacation with some extra toys in the bags.

Rick.
                  Working...
                  X