Spartan .55 Cable...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spartan .55 Cable...

I've had to throw out my last ten perfectly straight 25' sections of .55 cable because of this issue. I'm averaging about 15 months of use out of these cables, around 450 jobs. This issue starts showing up after about 10 months of use and progressively gets worse. It always starts about 1' from the tail end of the cable. At this point the cable is also very limp.

I guess for the amount of jobs the cable life isn't too bad for a drum cable ???

Just wondering what might be causing this issue ?

How does the ends look? Is one of the winds broken from the weld? In most cases that is the issue and can be repaired by cutting off the part that starts to unwind and weld a new end on.

Also do you oil your cable regularly? The inner core is also important part of how this cable works and if you are not keeping it oiled the inner core will become brittle and break which will also cause the issue you are seeing.

The way this cable works is the inner core screws onto the end and the two outer cables are welded to the end. This way when the cutter is caught in the blockage the inner core cable will want to unwind and the outer cables will tighten which is what gives this cable its stiffness and the ability to build torque much faster than standard cable.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    Ron's Facebook
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

The ends/both windings of the cable are intact but I know from experience that if I were to run the cable much longer that one of the windings would break right at the weld. No, I've never oiled my .55 cables. Running the machine so frequently how often would you think I'd need to oil them ? Might cost more in oil than just replacing the cables every year ?

Like I said, at this point the cable is getting pretty limp so that it's not very effective and needs replacing anyway.

Comment

Bend the cable 90 degrees and see if the inner core is still attached to the connector. Seems like the inner core has moved and not full length.

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Oil with WD40, motor oil?

Comment

I have always saved my used motor oil and oiled them up once a week. They go limp due to the inner core cable breaking.
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            Ron's Facebook
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
            X