No announcement yet.

What's a decent brand name jetter hose?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a decent brand name jetter hose?

New to jetting.im picking up a pressure washer and jetter conversion kit.but was wondering what's a good brand and size cable?most of my lines run from 4"-6" .I seen some p****ha hoses for 300 bucks.3/8"×250'.I'm going to need at least that much due to the machine needing to be outside and everything

P****ha slither is my favorite hose.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I Perfer to use a jumper hose to get me to the opening which is a heavy, harder rubber coating. Then adapt to the jetting hose. I find over the years that a harder outer hose cover wear much better and therefore doesn't nick as easy. Some of the softer hoses get gouged real easy even in plastic fittings. Some hose manufacturers will send you a sample foot of hose styles. Also what are your jetter specs? Psi gpm, that will dictate hose size.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

• sewermonster85
        sewermonster85 commented
        Editing a comment
        It says 4000 psi 3.5 gpm but in reality u know as I know it's probably going to be 3000 psi or so at 3 gpm or so...

• sewermonster85
        sewermonster85 commented
        Editing a comment
        Also was wondering if 3\8 " is overkill and if 1/4" would be ok for 4-6" lines

Hi sewermonster. For your set up, I would use 1/4 sewer hose for clearing the drain & use 3/8 hose as a jumper only (i.e. if you're working inside & the machine is some distance outside). You may also want to consider using or making up something similar to the Aussie Mustang Mini Reel with 1/4 sewer hose, & having a good range of Jetting nozzles so you get the best results before upgrading your jetter in a few years.

In Aussie & now showing up more & more in N.Z., its common to use 3/16 or 1/4 sewer hose on jetters pumping out anywhere from 4 to 8 GPM in the 4000 - 5000PSI range.

Comment

• sewermonster85
        sewermonster85 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you.

• PLUMBER RICK
        PLUMBER RICK commented
        Editing a comment
        No! Not another guy using quick connects on their nozzles. Bill must have you in his pocket. How do you get around turns on the 50mm lines?

Rick.

1/4" is fine for 3-4gpm and will navigate 2" and larger. You have a lower gpm range to not worry about flow issues. 3/8" will have less pressure drop.
      my chart is showing 4psi drop per foot with 1/4" compared to about 1/2psi per foot with 3/8".
      ben has similar specs and has run both hoses. He can tell you the real life numbers.

a root ranger on those specs with a camera can do a good job. But you need a camera to know what it looks like before , during and after. Also you're not going to penetrate a root stoppage too easily. You're probably going to need to snake first to cut a hole.

front cutting nozzles need much more water or a push rod. So if you use a push rod, you could blast a hole in roots first without a snake.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I have two cameras.and two spartan 1065s .model c (oldie) and 1 1/4 " with the inner core cables.ive been getting a lot of car wash jobs and restaurants. Grease traps ,sand and oill separators, lift stations.i figured this would be good for sludge lines...those cables tend to stink after one of those

Comment

Just be careful on grease lines. Lower flow can still cut off grease, but not necessarily break it down and emulsify it. You could create a stoppage down stream. If you can jet upstream, it will suck it downstream and help. But most jobs don't allow that, so make sure to camera until you get a good feel for the end results. Remember jetting down stream blows the muck back at you. So it needs to be flushed back downstream. Camera so you don't have a callback, backup later.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Hi Rick. I recon the lighter premium 3/8 will work like you say, but I'd still personally go for the 1/4 on a 4000PSI/3.5GPM unit as I can't imagine myself wanting to jet more than 200 - 250 feet with this unit, & the lose of 800 - 1000PSI from the 4000 still leaves a respectable 2500+ at the head, especially if you have a penetrator or RR attached.

I don't personally use quick connects at the moment, but a friend is trying the locking ones from Aussie & rates them for time saving. In terms of jetting smaller lines (e.g. 32mm - 65mm I think the Aussies use 1/8 or 3/16 wip hoses without a quick connect on the nozzle end for smaller lines - but don't quote me.

Comment

Originally posted by sewermonster85 View Post
              I have two cameras.and two spartan 1065s .model c (oldie) and 1 1/4 " with the inner core cables.ive been getting a lot of car wash jobs and restaurants. Grease traps ,sand and oill separators, lift stations.i figured this would be good for sludge lines...those cables tend to stink after one of those
              Best of luck but I think your jetter is undersized. Everything you said there requires flow(gpm) not pressure. Especially in 4"-6". My jetter is 4.5gpm 3000 psi and works amazing cutting roots in 6" pipe. However I only need it to cut so the smaller flow doesn't matter in my case. Are you buying an amazing machinery jetter? If so, can you stop the order? A friend bought a pressure washer with a jetter conversion kit from them and has had nothing but bad luck. Basically with the description of what you said, I think you're wasting your money.....if you got the customer base, just go big, get a good size trailer jetter and save 2-3k.

Don't bother with any 6 rear or spinner nozzles....get 3 rear only. You just don't have enough to make it work while. 3/8 hose will get you 0.6 psi pressure drop per ft while 1/4" will get you 5 psi pressure drop per ft. I currently use 3/8 hose but after having done both, I'm seriously considering to selling my jetter setup and starting from scratch.

I'm really thinking of getting a 18hp vanguard engine, recoil start with a 4.5gpm/4000psi udor pump. I plan on getting rid of the hose cart which is aggravating me and using a 50' jumper hose to my foot pedal. No more hose cart.....instead I'll get 1)100', 1)50' and 2)25' 1/4" hoses. I'll just couple the hoses together to get the length I need. My biggest reason for this setup is to use 1/4" hose. It's just so much easier to use and work.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

• sewermonster85
                sewermonster85 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hearing your advice I went and canceled the order.yes it was from them..lol my puny paid around 3 k for his set up but he bought everything separate and built it like you were saying.electric start and everything.but I do appreciate your input and good looking out...I would hate to have wasted 2k.lol

Originally posted by DATS View Post
              Hi Rick. I recon the lighter premium 3/8 will work like you say, but I'd still personally go for the 1/4 on a 4000PSI/3.5GPM unit as I can't imagine myself wanting to jet more than 200 - 250 feet with this unit, & the lose of 800 - 1000PSI from the 4000 still leaves a respectable 2500+ at the head, especially if you have a penetrator or RR attached.

I don't personally use quick connects at the moment, but a friend is trying the locking ones from Aussie & rates them for time saving. In terms of jetting smaller lines (e.g. 32mm - 65mm I think the Aussies use 1/8 or 3/16 wip hoses without a quick connect on the nozzle end for smaller lines - but don't quote me.
              We do DATS. Quick connects make for ease of changing out nozzels depending on what we are doing. Hey Rick, now you know Billy boy's secret to being able to afford such a huge family. We are always paying for the privilege...............heheheheheeee

Comment

If I could make a suggestion whether you buy 1/4" now or 3/8" in the future- see if whoever sells you the hose will sell a few extra crimp on terminals. Most don't use a jumper like Rick suggested and the reason he does that is the first few feet always get beat up the worst and fastest. If you have 150-200' of hose, you can stop by any hydraulic hose shop with new terminal fittings and cut off 5-10' and start fresh with a new fitting. The reason I mention it is each hose manufacture uses specific terminals for their hose. Don't let them crimp the wrong terminal on.. I did and lost a terminal and a nozzle. I just ordered some terms for my 3/8" along with a brandy new K45 autofeed from our pals at AJ Coleman. I personally wouldn't bother with a 3/8" under 5gpm..

Comment

the trick with crimping or swedging on new ends is to test it first. the new crimp stays outside the pipe while the proven crimp is attached to the nozzle. i do my own and so far so good. yes there are proprietary fittings for each manufacturer, but there are also some fittings that will swap based on the hose specs.

i swedge my jetter hoses and crimp my hydraulic hoses.

5 gpm on 1/4'' hose has a pressure drop well over 5# per foot. it's actually not even listed since the drop is beyond the specs. while on 3/8'' hose it's only 1# per foot.

easy way to test pressure drop is to install your desired length of hose with no nozzle, run the engine up to jetting speed and read your pressure gage on the pump. what it reads is your pressure drop. then test it with 3/8'' hose and see the difference. it's pretty major at 5 gpm.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Hi Gear Junkie, Sewermonster & all.

Building your own jetter would be cool. For 5.5GPM or less I reckon 1/4 is the way to go running at 4000PSI (4500 - 5000's even better).

Pressure drop in 5.5GPM is 750 - 800PSI per 100ft, so if you ran 200ft of 1/4 on a portable reel (nice & light) you'd still have 3000 - 3500PSI (if running machine at 4500 - 5000PSI).

1/4 would be easier to work with in traps, roof vent etc, but sewer hose is light so you could also carry a larger reel with 3/8 hose for light commercial drains or residential to 6-inch lines where you have good access. Would suggest 200 - 300ft of 3/8 reel kept by the machine (Pressure loss is around 300 - 350PSI over the whole 300ft) - If you were running the 3/8th alone, you'd have a kick butt 3700 + PSI at the nozzle. You could also use the 3/8th as a jumper hose from a vehicle kept machine to a portable 1/4 reel (see my previous photos) by the access point & install a 100m wireless on/off remote.

I know the Aussies are jetting 6-inch lines with 1/4 hose running 5.5GPM @ 5000PSI & getting good results.

If you can afford it (there's only a $500 difference in NZ. between them), go the 23HP Briggs & Stratton Vangaurd over the 18HP, as you can still get a factory top mounted fuel tank & the weight difference between these engines is about 3 Ibs - this will allow you to run 5GPM at 4300 - 4500PSI & with the right nozzles deal to most lines up to 6-inch's. You'd be best to keep the machine by the vehicle if possible as continuously hauling anything over 100Ibs is a bad back waiting to happen (well, in hilly Wellington it is).

Posted some examples of transferable vehicle units.
                    Last edited by DATS; 06-06-2014, 03:05 AM.

Comment

• gear junkie
                      gear junkie commented
                      Editing a comment
                      good tip on the engine thanks!

Nice set up there

Comment

Hi everyone. What brand sewer hose do you guys use? In NZ we pretty much need to import the light jetting hose. I even tried getting a price on 200 ft of Ridgid 1/2 OD (1/4 ID) & the price listed was around $2500+ 15% Sales Tax (I kid you not! & its not even rated as 4000PSI hose). I'm looking at options & may consider buying direct from the states as the price there is between 1/3 & 1/2 the price I'd have to pay getting it from Aussie. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X