No announcement yet.

Drain Snake

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain Snake

We have a small drain snake it's 75 foot drum snake that we use at our property. I'm no expert just a maintenance man. If I can't get it clear then we call a real plumber. Anyway my question is what is a good way to keep track of the amount of cable fed down into the line. How do you guys do it? Do you just have a feel for it. My idea was to maybe pull the cable out and spray paint every 5 or 10 foot marking the cable to allow me to keep track. Thanks.

that's exactly how i use to do it with my 100' drum machines. every 10' starting with red, whit, blue , yellow, green and repeat. problem was the paint never lasted as long as i needed it and then it's wet when you try to re spray it. now you could just mark the cable when you clear it and lay the cable out to document the distance.

​my sectionals are simple to know the distance. the cables are 7.5'. 10'. or 15'. pretty simple to count sections and add or subtract from the closest joint.

​about 5 years ago, ridgid actually displayed a drum machine with a footage counter built in. not sure why it's been moth balled, but as far as i know, it's the only one of it's kind. with cameras and cables, it's a no brainer to home in on the problem and clean the area based on footage and the camera inspection. my sectionals and jetter hoses are marked just for that purpose.

phoebe it is

One option is to get a wire welder and put a small bead at certain points.

Same concept like plumber rick said..but use different color tape..electrical. .but when u have been doing it as long as we have..u just know and have a good feel...

Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate the help.

measure 1 wrap of the cable, count how many wraps are left