ASAP: I need help to clean out 3-4" sewer line for root removal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASAP: I need help to clean out 3-4" sewer line for root removal

Long story short, we have been getting our drains cleared minimally 1x per year due to tree roots(Father doesn't want to replace pipe). Usually, we have gotten over two years with our old plumber(moved away unfortunately, was only $75 to do it), but the last guy that came out with his machine did a poor job(not to mention he charged us $150 when he was right around the corner), and didn't use the thicker cable like our old plumber did!

Its for my parents house. My father does not want to deal with any other plumber because of this. The line is backing up as is, and can't do much wash because of it. So here I am asking questions on what to purchase.

Im reading that the Ridgid K-60 seems to be decent at clearing the main sewer lines correct? I have no problem buying the unit seperate, just need to know what size line and blades would be perfect for removing this mess 1x per year? Also, will be using rootx after to minimize root growth after treatment.

Thanks,

Aaron

Originally posted by deadlift425 View Post
    I am asking questions on what to purchase.
    a backhoe
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

first I am not a K60 guy, so I am not going to make recommendations,

but there are some chemical products, "ROOT X" I believe it mostly sold through licensed plumbers, the good thing about this is it has a foaming action, and will coat the entire pipe, (probably one of better products out there)

but if your line is backing up and just draining slowly, a copper sulfate based product, (it is a plant killer, that does not bother animal life,), but it for the most part will only kill the part it touches, so the tree does not die, but at most hard ware stores they will have a section of sewer root killers, and most use the copper sulfate, (follow the direction on the package),
      many non EPA approved pesticides would kill the entire tree,

this will not be instant, but if one would treat the roots they will die back,

I recommend that persons with root problems treat spring and fall, and some times mid summer, depending on the problem,

short university info on copper sulfate,
      http://www.eco-nomic.com/pix/Tree%20Root%20Control.pdf

first I have not done this but have seen it suggested a few times,

http://www.askthebuilder.com/sewer-l...nd-tree-roots/

about the only way to fix this is to replace the line,
      Last edited by BHD; 06-13-2014, 02:10 PM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

You can buy a lot of service calls for the price of a K60.
        Find a better plumber.

Comment

Its a 5 hour drive for me, I can come out and do an A1 job, it would cost about $1705.00 for me to come there to Macomb. I'll even include televising the line when I am done.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        Ron's Facebook
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

#1 $75.00 is a crazy Low price ! #2 $150.00 is very fair . #3 You now have no problem spending around $1700.00 for a K-60 with cutters . And You probably have no experience
          in proper Operation. DIYS. Rent drain machines and tie the cables in Knots Lost in the $ewer ! Interesting !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

For around 300$U can have a very reputable company come out and clear your line.once hes done, use the camera and inspect the line.this way you know it's open. you have a 3 "or 4" line what size is your cleanout and where is it located?basement , outside ,or from the roof.WE WOULD NOT RECOMMEND A HOMEOWNER OR HANDY MAN TO RUN A MACHINE WITHOUT PROPER TRAINING.U CAN HURT YOURSELF OR DAMAGE THE EQUIPMENT AND MAKE YOUR SITUATION WORSE..Don't be cheap..If you're willing to dish out the bucks to buy a machine then dish out 300 and have it done correctly.u cannot put a price on piece of mind..

Comment

Find a reputable company with proper video inspection equipment and find out EXACTLY what the problem is. More often than not a repair or perhaps a patch job is going to be less than all the equipment you would be purchasing. I'm not to familiar with the patching process but I've heard about excellent results.

Comment

Toolaholic, I have had customers that seen me rod their drains, and claim I made it look so easy that they rented a rod when their next drain backed up, and they have lost fingers to the cable machine.

Last customer was a nice lady we rodded her kitchen sink line from an overhead clean out in 2000, and in 2004 she called me back cause the drain was slow again. When I showed up I noticed she wore leather driving gloves all the time. As I was rodding she said I make this look so easy, that back in 2003 she noticed the drain was slow so she rented a rod. Then she removed one of the gloves to reveal she was missing some fingers. She said the rod wrapped around the glove and her reaction was to pull her hand away.

So when ever a DIY talks about buying a machine or renting one I always advise against it just for the safety reason.
                Ron's Facebook

Comment

• toolaholic
                  toolaholic commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm am so sorry for this Gal, bless Her. People just don't know . I have a term for experienced tradesman. " We have smart hands "

Guess she's not so handy now

Comment

I just know if I head up there I will make a weekend trip out of it and stop off in Detroit and visit some of my mom's family up there.
                  Ron's Facebook

Comment

$150 is pretty cheap.

David

Comment

• sewermonster85
                      sewermonster85 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes that is..i was charging that almost 10 yrs ago..

There are good and bad in every trade, you need just to find a good one. Ask around town or look for online reviews in your area.

$150.00 is the norm in my area.

Comment

Deadlift425, I can understand your eagerness to help your parents and invest in a machine to do it yourself. Money aside, as ive been know to spend money on some tools ive used once. But it's not a money issue for you or me. Its a safety and experiance issue.

unless you have hands on experiance on running a machine safely and know something about your plumbing layout, you stand a good chance to either get hurt, get stuck, or get nowhere.

my advise is to hire a well recommended plumber, draincleaner to video Iinspect, and locate the problem area. You stand a better chance not getting in trouble with a shovel than a drain machine. If it looks like it just needs a better cleaning, then at least you know the distance to concentrate the cleaning on. A before and after video doesn't lie. And the location doesn't change. It can always be dug up if need be down the road if you still want a longer fix.

plus a shovel might move you up to deadlift450

Rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

I agree with all of the above. $75.00 is crazy (the guy probably went out of business) & $150.00 is a good price for up to an hour (including travel) - In N.Z. charges are usually $170.00/hr - $180.00/hr + Taxes, with some plumbers charging a flat rate of $375.00 for the unblocking & the same again for a CCTV of the drain. I too would suggest hiring a professional, unless your planning on getting into the drain cleaning business - odds are you'll be ok having a go, but there are serious risks & ultimately the risks on you.

If you really feel you need to have a go yourself, then I would suggest only doing it if the access (clean out) is somewhere easy to get to (i.e not in a basement etc). I would also suggest hiring a machine first to see if this is something you're willing to do every 12-18 months before buying & ensure you wear the proper safety gear.

I've heard a story of an experienced plumber who got a cable wrapped around his leg, the cable tore deeply into the skin & he got a serious infection & the leg had to come off. I also believe there has been a case of a experience plumber/contractor killed a few years back when a high pressure jet came back out of the drain & the jet sliced into his neck & he bled out before paramedics could save him.

Comment

Working...
                        X