SLOW KITCHEN SINK LINES

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLOW KITCHEN SINK LINES

Do You usually, just go down the stack or always pull trap ? I use My super Vee for this.Tanks Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

The worst stoppages are kitchen sinks without a cleanout. The builtup food and grease is worse than any root stoppage. In order to clean a kitchen throughly, you need the largest cutter and cable combination possible. I use my k50 with a 5/8" cable and 4 blade cutter with the trap removed. Or go from the vent on a 1 story. of course a c/o makes things simple and clean with running water.

your 1/4" or 5/16" cable is only poking a hole in the sludge, not cleaning the line.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thank You rick, will use the K- 375 instead
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

always pulled traps usually use my K 375 cable with a 38 cable and a drop bulb.out here the arm is 1 1/2" tied into 2" stack.the cleanout is usually in the basement at the bottom of the stack that shared the laundry tub

Comment

The 5/8 cable would not go through the galvanized lines we have here.
          To many tight elbows.

As I tell lots of folks when scratching my head with poor work on older homes.

This was built when they still let you drink on the job.

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
            PLUMBER RICK commented
            Editing a comment
            that's where the reverse auger really shines. unless they used vent 90's, the 5/8'' reverse cable will negotiate the tight turns and cholesterol chocked pipe.

rick.

• fixitright
            fixitright commented
            Editing a comment
            That's what I'm getting at Rick, they loved to use vent 90's often in these parts for drains. Sometimes several in a short section.

I keep 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/8 and 1- 1/4 cable on the truck for what ever they throw at me.

Twice this month I resorted to the Kinetic Water Ram as a last resort. Both times successful.

Most of the time it's pull out the ladder, grab K60, and go through the vent.
          Less messy on the roof and most here are 4/12 pitch or less.
          I hate snaking the waste arm under the sink, in a cabinet, stinkin',
          making a mess...I just hate snakin' indoors, period.
          As mentioned, the bigger the head, the better and
          going through the stack gives you that option.
          At times the stoppage is in the drain arm so you have to pull the trap.
          But, I see more problems at the bottom of the stack than anything.
          And it's usually a straight shot to bottom ell from the vent.
          With the sink holding water, drop your cable down the stack and pull
          back by hand when it bottoms out. If it's dripping the stoppage is downstream.

Comment

• red1234
            red1234 commented
            Editing a comment
            Do you rod with the 7/8" cables or use 5/8 "?

7/8" churns up the muck pretty good.
            Of course,I try to wish the line open,and when that fails(always),then out comes the K-50 and cables and happy homeowners.

Originally posted by fixitright View Post
          The 5/8 cable would not go through the galvanized lines we have here.
          To many tight elbows.

As I tell lots of folks when scratching my head with poor work on older homes.

This was built when they still let you drink on the job.
          I love that Quote ! Will use it from now on in !

Comment

I use my undersink contraption with 5/8 sectional cable. Takes 5 minutes to set up but works amazing and keeps everything clean. I've also been having great luck in bathroom sinks and tubs with a 3/8 drum adapter and 5/16 cable. The 3/8 drum adapter allows the 5/16 to slide back and forth without letting off the handle.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

• toolaholic
              toolaholic commented
              Editing a comment
              How about a picture of the under sink contraption ?

Sounds like you guys have all the fun. In NZ most waste pipes from kitchens, laundry's & bathrooms are usually run to an external Gully Trap (ORG - Overflow Relief Gully) so if the the blockage is in the actual pipe you can usually snake or jet it from the outside. Did one on Friday - both kitchen sinks backing up when used or if dishwasher running. Used KJ-2200 & cleaned out solid chunks of fat - lines cleared & sinks running mint - tenant was going out so I also poured Bio-Zyme (natural fat/grease release) into sink traps to give them a clean.

If I'm in an apartment or silly new house without an ORG & can't snake with K-45 or K-50 through the sink will then vacuum out the sink if required & remove the under sink trap to access the line with K-50 or Jetter & vacuum - sometimes I'll end up using both if its commercial kitchen etc.

Comment

My new go 50 is to heavy to easily get on roof. I pull a trap and sling black slime all over the place. I always feel bad when I leave a big mess behind for an old lady to clean up. Lol, jk
              I'd rather do kitchen sinks then lavs any day.

Comment

• DATS
                DATS commented
                Editing a comment
                Hear ya. Rather pull a kitchen trap over a Pan. Almost had to pull a fully sealed wall hung pan on Thursday a fancy hotel. I went to town on it with a K-6 toilet auger & was just about to give up & take the pan off when I finally hooked a big one - some smarty thought I didn't already have enough to do that day & flushed a full body towel (god knows how!). Got it out & the maintenance team were amazed & very happy as the room was booked out for that afternoon - cleaner please..lol !

I did use my K-50 a month back through a Pan by feeding it through a with flexible bit of 2" pipe. It was a long toilet branch line - Ran it out to roughly 24 feet & grabbed a ball of roots the size very large grapefruit.

I also use my k50 through toilets as needed. But I use 3/4" flex pvc/ flex elecrical pvc. Shove this past the ottom of the bowl to prefent snake marks In the china. Great for baby wipes and sludge, especially with the reverse auger and a decent bend.

Rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by DATS View Post
                Sounds like you guys have all the fun. In NZ most waste pipes from kitchens, laundry's & bathrooms are usually run to an external Gully Trap (ORG - Overflow Relief Gully) so if the the blockage is in the actual pipe you can usually snake or jet it from the outside. Did one on Friday - both kitchen sinks backing up when used or if dishwasher running. Used KJ-2200 & cleaned out solid chunks of fat - lines cleared & sinks running mint - tenant was going out so I also poured Bio-Zyme (natural fat/grease release) into sink traps to give them a clean.

If I'm in an apartment or silly new house without an ORG & can't snake with K-45 or K-50 through the sink will then vacuum out the sink if required & remove the under sink trap to access the line with K-50 or Jetter & vacuum - sometimes I'll end up using both if its commercial kitchen etc.
                DATS,could you post a picture of a ORG? If you cold -thanks.

Comment

I fill the sink up with 4 or 5 inches of standing water and send 3/8 cable down the 2" vent. Works great. Although one time I did that I broke a trap.

Comment

• Cable or root
                    Cable or root commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You can imagine the mess that made

I WOULD RUN MY 100 MACHINE WITH 13/32" CABLE THOUGH THE C/O, THE ROOF VENT, AND LAST OF ALL PULL THE P TRAP AND RUN
                  I REALLY PREFER THE ROOF !
                  THAT WAY YOU DON'T HAVE TO MESS WITH THE ROTTING TUBULAR BRASS OR THE HINKY WAY SOME ONE CONNECTED THE DRAIN PIPES UNDER THE SINK, YOU HAVE A SINK FULL OF WATER THAT FLUSHES THE GREASE DOWN WHEN YOU CLEAR THE STOPPAGE

‚Äč
                  JERRYMAC
                  E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                  CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                  FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                  SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Working...
                  X